Who coined "separation of church and state?"

Hugo Black.

Supreme Court Justice.

Former Klansman.

Hated Catholics.

Democrat.

it is difficult to characterize Black as a liberal or a conservative as those terms are generally understood in the 21st century. On the one hand, his literal reading of the Bill of Rights and his theory of incorporation often translated into support for strengthening civil rights and civil liberties, such as the right to counsel in Gideon v. Wainwright. On the other hand, Black consistently opposed the doctrine of substantive due process (the anti-New Deal Supreme Court cited this concept in such a way as to make it impossible for the government to enact legislation that interfered with the freedom of business owners)[4] and believed that there was no basis in the words of the Constitution for a right to privacy, voting against finding one in Griswold v. Connecticut.[5]

Hugo Black - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A swing and a miss.

What's weak is that these loons come by every couple of days to spout the latest inane GOP/TP talking point a candidate or pundit has told them and when presented with the cold hard fact that it's historical nonsense and simply, factually, incontrovertibly false, they just ignore that.

Ultimately what it comes down to is they have no shame. No sense of personal responsibility for what they say. No regard for whether something is true or not. Any decent person would be embarrassed by swallowing and then acting as a megaphone for something shown to be an ignorant lie and then would admit their error and develop a healthy skepticism about the source that lied to them the next time they're told a talking point and encouraged to amplify it.

But not them. They act like what happened only days before never happened, each and every time, and continue to post the next ignorant, plainly inaccurate talking point ad infinitum in an endless cycle.

There's some people, proving them wrong doesn't even do anything. They're immune from reality. I'm not sure what the point is in even bothering.

making stuff up again?

thomas jefferson talked about the wall between church and state.

seriously... do you do this intentionally?

i'm starting to think you're someone's puppet because you're just too weird for words.

oh right... facts don't matter. :cuckoo:

Let's face facts, Revere is a liar. He is a LIAR! The real question to be asked, why does he lie?

he says facts don't matter. that's why he lies. i think he's a troll.. .

maybe he's sarah palin's speechwriter.

He could be Obama's. Let's face facts..... all politicians twist facts.

Yes, who was that atheist idiot who helped with the downfall of this once great country.

Jefferson borrowed the "wall of separation" from James Burgh.

Build an impenetrable wall of separation between things sacred and civil.

--James Burgh (1767)​

The forefathers did not seek to remove God from Gov't, they want to stop the power the church had on Gov't . We need to put God back in

Our DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE declares, "...the laws of nature and of nature's God... We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by the Creator with certain unalienable rights... appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions..."

How does that unite the U. S. Government with religion?

Isn't the right of the people, to be free from the influence of civil authority, as they discharge their duties to the Creator, an unalienable right?

The forefathers did not seek to remove God from Gov't
I agree. However, most of them did want to exclude religion from the cognizance of civil government.

they want to stop the power the church had on Gov't .
That must be why the national charter granted Congress no power whatsoever to influence the people's duties to the Creator and the manner and methods of discharging those duties.

We need to put God back in
We need to totally exclude religion from any sort of civil authority.

Last edited:
I agree. However, most of them did want to exclude religion from the cognizance of civil government.

they want to stop the power the church had on Gov't .
That must be why the national charter granted Congress no power whatsoever to influence the people's duties to the Creator and the manner and methods of discharging those duties.

Take out the religion but Leave God in.

I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

--Thomas Jefferson

The First Amendment didn't build a wall of separation. The wall was built, according to the limited government doctrine of the Jeffersonian Republicans, when the founders refused to grant Congress power over religion.

Jefferson's statement actually implies that the power of Congress to provide for the general welfare of the nation includes power over religion.

Froggy, we already have our spiritual, religious, and ethical values in our government. No true American wants an official, organized religion influencing our government, which I think you agree with. The issue is that a few Americans are ignorant on this subject (Christine O'Donnell in debate is one). A much more serious issue is that people like Jack Fate will use religion as a propaganda tool to gain power, then such people will use it against the people.

Take out the religion but Leave God in.
I agree. The impious attempt by the civil authorities to influence our duty to be under God's authority should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. A government that has the power to advise us to be under God's authority also has the power to recommend that we should not consider ourselves to be under his authority.

Forum List

Back