Who cares what you believe!

But doesn't the Bible say you mustn't spill your seed?

Yes it does. It also says not to "defraud" your wife or husband, meaning to provide sex.

What that has to do with sperm being considered a human, I'm not sure.

Could you provide a link to that? I've searched a few times and discovered that there is no agreement among scientists that life begins at conception, so I'd be interested in seeing where you get your information from.

I was speaking from general knowledge from High School Health class and got the evolution connection from (I think) the book The Demon-Haunted World by the late Carl Sagan. I guess you could google human conception and/or sexuality maybe??

I think the problem is the different definitions of life. An embryo is alive in a sense, just like a sperm is alive or an egg is alive or one of your skin cells is alive. But that does not equate with “life.” It just means they are living cells.

There is no "alive in a sense" there is only life and inanimate objects. Maybe that is where we are not getting eachother? Science does have, and I think there is great agreement on this, a good understanding of the difference between alive and dead/inanimate.

Therefore we have to go further and define life either logically or by belief. Logically, all these things, i.e. the embryo, the sperm, the egg—have a potential for life but none of them are alive in the sense we are discussing. They only become alive when they are born.

I don't care about belief, we are all welcome to our own. We are not welcome to our own logic and the bolded above just does not fly. Sperm qua sperm has no potential for personhood. The egg qua egg has no potential for personhood. The embryo qua embryo is the fusion of gametes to produce a new organism of the same species.

Theologically anyone is of course welcome to believe whatever they wish. But basing the definition on what is unproven itself (a religious definition) is illogical.

I agree with you about religious rights but I don't see "life" as a particularly religious definition.

That's ok, you can still worship at the alter. LOL. JK.

I heard yesterday a good point. When the baby can live independent fromm the body, that's when it should have human rights. So if you decided at 7 months that you didn't want to have the baby, it is too late because the baby could technically live on it's own, or in an incubator, or whatever.

But if it is 5 months in, the fetus/baby could not live outside the mothers body, so it should be her choice at that point.

So I don't know where the cut off point is, but this sounds fair.

And if the baby is severly retarded, the mother should be able to abort even at the last minute. IMO.

And I'm sure you're okay with killing babies after they're born...if they're severely retarded, no doubt.

So much for equality.

I was speaking from general knowledge from High School Health class and got the evolution connection from (I think) the book The Demon-Haunted World by the late Carl Sagan. I guess you could google human conception and/or sexuality maybe??
I did. There is no scientific agreement on when life begins.

There is no "alive in a sense" there is only life and inanimate objects. Maybe that is where we are not getting eachother? Science does have, and I think there is great agreement on this, a good understanding of the difference between alive and dead/inanimate.
Sure, there is the difference between being alive like a plant and being a sentient being.

I don't care about belief, we are all welcome to our own. We are not welcome to our own logic and the bolded above just does not fly. Sperm qua sperm has no potential for personhood. The egg qua egg has no potential for personhood. The embryo qua embryo is the fusion of gametes to produce a new organism of the same species.
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can grow a human from a single cell these days. And yes, we are welcome to use logic and not the bible to decide our choices.

I agree with you about religious rights but I don't see "life" as a particularly religious definition.
No, it was certainly something I was taught in Sunday school, about souls and unborn babies, etc.

Sure, there is the difference between being alive like a plant and being a sentient being.

I think we are having a heated agreement here, lol.

The question "When does life begin?" is answered "At conception.". The question "When is a human embryo sentient?" is something else.

I think we are having a heated agreement here, lol.

The question "When does life begin?" is answered "At conception.". The question "When is a human embryo sentient?" is something else.
Okay, my definition of life seems to be different from yours.

Forum List

Back