Who Can Tackle the Big Beast (Deficit)? Romney or Obama?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by California Girl, Aug 1, 2012.

1. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,058
    That is a false premise.

That is simply not true. The first focus of the Obama administration was the stimulus bill.

There is a sizable spending cut in place that takes effect at the beginning of next year. The Republicans are now trying to stop it.

2. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,974
    I wish Romney was officially on the smaller government bandwagon, but realistically that is a dangerous platform to campaign on because his opponents will use his words to scare the elderly and other beneficiaries of government that they are all about to shafted and/or thrown into the street homeless, helpless, and without hope.

But in terms of policy that will give us the best chance to take government created uncertainty and anti-business policies out of the equation and promote private sector growth, prosperity, and economic activity, Romney's program wins hands down.

3. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,197

You are basically saying we need to raise taxes but not cut spending, sacred cows and all that. Nonsense, those programs are unsustainable in their present form and no democrat is willing to publicly step up and do anything about it. You say Obama is willing to compromise; I say if he was willing to compromise we could've had a deal last summer but he wouldn't make the deal with Boehner when he had the chance. He's not pragmatic like Clinton was; he is a man of the left, far left, and has to date shown no compensity at all to compromise. Neither has the democrats in Congress, and that is why I won't support them.

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    People have looked at Romney and his ideas. That is the why of this;

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map No Toss Ups

President Obama 332 Governor Romney 206

5. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,223
    Two quick points; I did say we need to cut spending and I laid out exactly how we could do that not just in the short term but the long term by raising the retirement age to 70 or 71. This would increase revenue into both programs between 5% to 10%, and it would reduce payouts by between 25% to 33%. Combined, we are talking about the overall cost of running these programs being reduced between 30% and 40%. As for my second point, please do not tell me that Republicans were willing to compromise on anything. Compromise on the budget would have involved some tax increases which they completely refused. To this day, they refuse to allow for any tax increases, so come January 1, I guess we just let the Bush tax cuts expire and let the chips fall where they may.

6. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,197

Glad to see you are willing to change the SSA program, too bad none of the democrats in Washington would even consider your ideas. I don't think they are any more willing to compromise on that than the GOP is on tax hikes. The story I heard was that Boehner DID agree to tax increases last summer, but Obama wanted more at the last minute. I know there are some recalcitrant repubs out there who demand a balanced budget, and won't compromise on that issue. Just as there are democrats out there who will not compromise on spending one dollar less. So let's cut the finger pointing crap and agree that both sides are at fault here.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012