Who Benefitted From Cash for Clunkers?

DiveCon

gone
Aug 10, 2008
Quick Stats: Who Benefitted From Cash for Clunkers?

Nearly 700,000 Cars Sold During $3 Billion Program

The popular Cash for Clunkers program (aka CARS, or Car Allowance Rebate System) ended on Monday night. With nearly 700,000 clunkers taken off the road, the program could be called the most impactful automotive sale of all time. Rebate applications worth $2.877 billion were submitted, just under the $3 billion provided by Congress to run the program.

see more at link above

Yeah there's an auto supplier in town here that was in dire straits laying people off six months ago. Now they're working 12 hour days 7 days a week.

my brother in law works at a Toyota dealership, he wasn't doing to well this spring which was good for me because they practially gave me my toyota. Now they don't have enough cars on the lot.

I just looked at the top 10 and it's no surprise the honda and toyota lines of this supplier are so busy,.

I think the automakers getting business coming in is more important then charity groups and motocycle dealerships. Think about the people who would be unemployed therefore increasing the number of people needing the help of charity and wouldn't be able to afford to buy a motocycle anyways.

I just looked at the top 10 and it's no surprise the honda and toyota lines of this supplier are so busy,.
toyota for one provides many american jobs, with factory's and dealerships here.
And if Chevy and Ford knew enough twenty years ago to develope a good economy car with great mileage that kept it's re sale value and would keep on running they would not be hurting so bad.

Last edited:
toyota for one provides many american jobs, with factors and dealerships here.
And if Chevy and Ford knew enough twenty years ago to develope a good economy car with great mileage that kept it's re sale value and would keep on running they would not be hurting so bad.

all those things are true.

toyota for one provides many american jobs, with factory's and dealerships here.
Ford had 2 cars on the list

I am just pissed I couldn't have traded in my last car and if I could, it sucks I bought my car two months before it started. It is kind of like I got a rebate though, I got my care almost 2500 cheaper then if I bought it anywhere else.
Plus I only have to get gas every two weeks.

Ford had 2 cars on the list

yeah that kinda blows for Michigan.

I think the point is we bailed GM out and this clunker thing hasn't done much for them.

I think they might pick up in the next few years if they get a good hybrid out there.
They just didn't have the right product right now.

I think they might pick up in the next few years if they get a good hybrid out there.
They just didn't have the right product right now.

supposedly they have the GM volt which gets about 250 mpg but I think that's a concept car right now. and when it first comes out it will be really expensive, of course.

I thought they had another one in the works that would be cheaper?
All I know is I watched a special on GM right before it all went down, the CEO seemed like a real prick.

Forum List

Back