Who benefits most if Economy Falls to Hades? Republicans or Democrats?

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
Just something to think about. Who would politically benefit most if the economy went to hell in a Hand basket? For a while, I was thinking the Republicans would not because if it does, it would place even more people into distress and the promotion of more social programs and larger government.

I do not see how the Democrats would lose long term perspective for power if a) they fail to pass the stimulus package and b) the economy follows my dead pet goldfish down the toilet! Also, it is only a minor set back(which could snowball) if they are not able to pass and the economy stays level.

What do you think? Open discussion for all political sides.

Nobody truly benefits

The average citizen is in a losing situation.. and that is the most important thing

And in politics.. there are always cycles... and pretty much no matter what, older people and people with families and advanced careers, and people who want less powerful government controls will tend to be REP.. and people wanting entitlements, people believing in redistribution thru the government, environmentalists, etc will still be DEM.. and it will always be the wedge issues, personalities, trends, etc that are going to make the difference with the moderates and independents...

Both sides will have ammo to fire... each will blame the other party... so the parties will go on as they have and neither will suffer, because it is a job based on elections and not based on market performance etc

I think you guys are missing my point.

You are thinking too much of "what is best for the country" and not "whose ability to hold onto power and keep/gain the general public support".

To be honest, I doubt we have sufficient evidence to determine what is best, so we tend to relie mainly on generalized ideas and talking points from pundits(left or right) to form our ideas.

But one thing is clear, it is not hard to deduce why one party wants the stimulus bill while the other does not. A crappy economy leads to difficulty in governance. The Reps would probably want the eco to slipp in order to divert democrats attention away from somethings that want to keep in place. The Dems want and improving eco in order to remove some Rep programs and institute their own programs while not having to pay much attention to something that could turn the public against them.

The concept that the economy is going to fall further or not is not fully addressed. In fact, certain indicators have us at the point when Clinton left the Whitehouse-minus the unemployment rate and Bank Problems.

It is as if the economy under Bush was mostly illusion--it appeared with him, and then left with him.:question::question:

No question...the Republicans. That is why they are actively praying for it and making up all kinds of bogus talking points.

Pointing fingers at just Republicans or just Democrats will not help a thing.

The one that gains is the one that had their hand out early on sucking up the cash. Short term.

Long term that does not work though because cash is worthless when the normal everyday person has no substance and cannot buy a thing that the short term cash hogs grabbed on to.

When their is no one left to actually work in the fields and there are no viable fields available for them to work in what happens?

Same goes when there are no factories left to produce and there are no workers that can afford to buy the goods from the factories, who is leftover?

No question...the Republicans. That is why they are actively praying for it and making up all kinds of bogus talking points.

But if the Economy falls, either with or without the stimulus package, they stand to loss more seats come 2010.

Their promotion of Economic and Social Darwinism is kind of an anti-intuitive polical gambit to play especially when there are people losing their jobs and requesting assistance until they get their legs back under them.

Something that rightwingers keep suggesting is that people on the public dole love it there and even go as far as to suggest that they are lazy. Unfortunately, There are lots of people on it that does not want to be on it if they can find a good job.

Thus the quiet political campaign of Republicans insulting people that want to work.
I still do not understand why the Reps do not see this. Maybe they think a little boot to the back side is all that is needed??

Now Dems---back in a min.

Thus the quiet political campaign of Republicans insulting people that want to work.
I still do not understand why the Reps do not see this.

while many Dems. insult those who are working and are very successful at their jobs.....why dont the Dems see that?.....works both ways....

Just something to think about. Who would politically benefit most if the economy went to hell in a Hand basket? For a while, I was thinking the Republicans would not because if it does, it would place even more people into distress and the promotion of more social programs and larger government.

I do not see how the Democrats would lose long term perspective for power if a) they fail to pass the stimulus package and b) the economy follows my dead pet goldfish down the toilet! Also, it is only a minor set back(which could snowball) if they are not able to pass and the economy stays level.

republicans benefit. eventually, the american people will hold Obama accountable.

republicans benefit. eventually, the american people will hold Obama accountable.

Perhaps, but it's gonna be a brutal ride until then...

uncle-sam-bruised-economy.JPG

Nobnody benefits if it hits bottom. Unforeseen consequences will be the order of the day.

Forum List

Back