CDZ Who are we?

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
I’m beginning to think that this forum is populated by more than a small number of either adolescents or non-native speakers of English. So much so that I’m genuinely curious if there is a way to find out? Time and again, I see folks post remarks that indicate they did not understand what they have just read. For example:

• Gosh this is a shame and a surprise....I mean Lindsey Graham was doing so well and everything....

This remark appears in a thread titled “Lindsey Graham Drops out of the race...unfortunate, but not unexpected...” What part of “not unexpected” lead the poster to perceive that anyone, but especially the thread’s creator, thought Mr. Graham’s departure from the race was a surprise? Is it asking too much for writers on this forum to expect their audience to understand that “not unexpected” is the opposite of “surprising?”
  • In this post, I wrote, “OldLady didn't tacitly or directly write or intimate that America (Americans) didn't at any point in time value education. I would think you can tell that as readily as the rest of us can tell you have attempted to put words in her mouth.”

In response, another member wrote:
1. You're a liar.

'Americans do not value education as much as Japan and other countries.'​

And learn how to post responses.
When, pray tell, did “not as much as” become synonymous with “not at all?”​

• In this discussion, we find two members, neither of whom understands the difference between qualified and unqualified statements.
The examples above are ones that illustrate a lack of comprehension of very simple things. I shudder to think of the extent to which folks interpret/misunderstand complex ideas, to say nothing of context which isn’t generally explicitly stated but instead must be gleaned. I will gladly forgive adolescents and non-native English speakers for misunderstanding things such as what I’ve illustrated above. There are more than a few legit reasons why they might have difficulty understanding them.

Call me crazy, but the above examples illustrate such a basic level of miscomprehension that I am forced to ask not only whether this forum has a good number of adolescents or non-native English speakers, but also how prevalent is the illustrated level of poor comprehension in the U.S? Also, how prevalent is it among folks who make a point of chastising others' and/or their points of view when they quite probably don't even understand what it is they are criticising?

It may be that I don’t have a lot of interaction with so-called typical Americans, so I really just don’t know. (Note: “don’t have a lot of” is not synonymous with “has none.”) Maybe the folks who posted the remarks above are not typical? I’m reasonably certain that I’m not a typical American. Maybe they aren’t native speakers of English, whereas I am, and maybe that is why the disparity in comprehension? Perhaps some of you have more exposure than I and can somewhat authoritatively comment on the matter?

Quite a few are drinking and or are high on pot. :)

Some are just playing a game and pulling each others strings.

Some just misread what is being written.

Others are just typing like they talk.

Message board denizens are, for the most part, typical of...message board denizens. Many count on their anonymity to create fantastical versions of themselves (and to assume that everyone they disagree with is "a liar").

There's also a strong streak of BinaryThink. Everything is either/or. There are no gray areas; there is no "it depends on the circumstances." (Think of the classic Dubya quote "Yer either with us or with the terraists.)

This particular board, IMO, is overly populated either with very young people pretending to be older (and of course having wonderful careers and life experiences), or with people who surround themselves with others who agree with them. The hostility is about the same.

I am wonder if there is an app which require passage of a brief intelligence test before posting...

Who are we?

It appears that "we" have decided to play a passive aggressive call out game while hiding behind the CDZ.

Who are we?

It appears that "we" have decided to play a passive aggressive call out game while hiding behind the CDZ.

There's nothing passive-aggressive about my OP. If you go look at the threads in which are found the remarks I used as examples, you'll observe that I directly responded, and made my thoughts well known, to the individuals who wrote those remarks.

More importantly, careful readers will observe that the two final paragraphs of my OP, the ones that comprise the bulk of my own original thoughts that issue from the observations I shared as examples in the OP, have nothing to do with individuals who made the remarks I cited. I do not doubt that when you read my OP, it struck you as you've described above. Careful readers will, however, see that nothing could be farther from so, no matter that it appeared so to you or others.

Who are we?

There's nothing passive-aggressive about my OP. If you go look at the threads in which are found the remarks I used as examples, you'll observe that I directly responded, and made my thoughts well known, to the individuals who wrote those remarks.

More importantly, careful readers will observe that the two final paragraphs of my OP, the ones that comprise the bulk of my own original thoughts that issue from the observations I shared as examples in the OP, have nothing to do with individuals who made the remarks I cited. I do not doubt that when you read my OP, it struck you as you've described above. Careful readers will, however, see that nothing could be farther from so, no matter that it appeared so to you or others.

And the debate is?

Who are we?

And the debate is?

As far as I can tell, I entreated for a discussion not for a debate.

I have created threads that specifically ask for others to debate a topic. Those threads are in the Structured Debate section of USMB.

Many are jumping around threads making mistakes maybe? rushed? I read today one guy say he posts on 9 different sites. That is impressive. I started out occasional posting on a few Sports boards, but USMB is better than those sports boards.

I forgot. I used to read Drudge Savage Yahoo and one local online paper. But now, if anything happens anywhere, it shows up here right away with analysis. Saves time.

I can't say that I care whether people make thoughtless posts because they're trolls or because they're idiots. The result is the same. This entire board should be the CDZ, and the rest of this worthless nonsense should be in a flaming subforum.

It's a real shame, because the net has such tremendous potential, and like television before it has become nothing but a vast wasteland. Without accountability, that will never change. Moderation is too labor intensive, especially on a high traffic board like this. They could never keep up with the flood of idiocy. If everyone had a unique identifier, that could never change, people would be forced to take responsibility for their posts. Until then, it's never going to improve.

Forum List

Back