Who Are The Palestinians? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Self identification is important and most self identify as Palestians now and for generations.
Most acknowledge that there is no difference between Palestinians and Jordanians and Syrians. That they are one people. They self-identify as one people.

They are saying the Palestinians have no right to self determination or a nation because other Arab peoples have it already and they are doing it by denying them their rights as a people.
That is NOT what team Israel are saying. No one on team Israel is saying that the Palestinians can't have a State of any kind on any territory. Not even Joel is saying that. Joel is simply saying that the Arab Palestinians shouldn't have yet ANOTHER State or three on territory that was granted to the Jewish people.

First I want to apologize for the scarcity of my answers as I am relying on my phone and it sucks to type and produces a ton of typos. I would rather be more verbose snd use sources. Tonight i will try to be on the computer.

Second i want clarify a few things.

The Palestinians are now a people. They consider themselves a people. It should not mstter if they are culturally very similar to others. They have lived in the area referred to as Palestine for thousands of years. They have been overrun and conquered and married into other peoples and they include immigrants from other Arab countries. They have deep family ties to place that is equal to thogh different from the ties claimed by the Jews. This is one thing some here will not recognize as having any validity.

When you are saying they should not have another state on the territory granted to Jews what exactly do you mean? They should go to Africa...South America? Or shift tbem to Jordan and Syria? See I havent seen Joel state snything beyond denying them any rights of place or identity. It isnt too disimilar to the ways that Myanmar is erasing the Rohinga identity (without the murder and violence Myanmar is conducting) banning even the word. They are nobody. A people with no name or citizenship. I see a systemic effort to deny the Palestinians an identity.

If what you mean is the territory that is currently recognized as Israel then i agree with you. There is Gaza and the West Bank (exactly what parts to be negotiated) then that is reasonable as many will still be in the area where they have cultural and familial ties.

There is a very significant difference between "You can not have a State ANYWHERE on this territory (or anywhere in the world) because you do not exist" and saying, "You can't have a State HERE because this is the place for the Jewish people, but you can have one THERE because that is the place for the Arab Palestinian people".

Agree.

The equivalent would be for team Israel to say, "The Arab Palestinians can not have a State anywhere in the world because they do not exist." (And we are going to stay at war with them until their State is destroyed.)

Is anyone saying the Jews can not have state anywhere in the world?

When does a people become a people? Is there a magical line where it is decided no new peoples can come into being or is it only Palestinians held to that line?
THAT is a fascinating question. Actually, I think the question should be reversed. When does a people cease to belong to a broad cultural group (a people)? Is self-identification the ONLY criteria? Or is there some requirement for some sort of significant cultural change or difference? If yes, what criteria would you choose?
Great questions...and i am not sure I have an answer but it deserves a post of its own and fits into the topic perfectly. I am going to answer this part later.

Where does it end? This creation of new peoples and disappearance of Israel? Where does this creation of "new" peoples become an encroachment on the rights of the Jewish people to ALSO have a State? When 75% is removed? When 90% is removed? When 95% is removed? 100%? How to we prevent the Jewish State from growing smaller, and smaller and smaller with the continuous invention of new peoples?

Let's put shoe on other foot. Let's say the Jewish people decide they are actually four different peoples, based on their long history in so many places. They demand a sovereign State in Jordan. Another in Syria. Another in Lebanon. Yay or nay? And why?

And keep in mind, I am asking these questions because I'm a shit disturber (grin) and am looking for a higher level of conversation here (which you graciously provide). You know I believe that the Arab Palestinian people in the "West Bank" and Gaza should have another State if they want one. Or they should be able to join with Jordan or Egypt if they so desire.
All these are great discussion points so i sill answer them later when i am not so constrained!

Coyote, with all due respect:

"The Palestinians are now a people. They consider themselves a people. It should not mstter if they are culturally very similar to others. They have lived in the area referred to as Palestine for thousands of years. They have been overrun and conquered and married into other peoples and they include immigrants from other Arab countries. They have deep family ties to place that is equal to thogh different from the ties claimed by the Jews. This is one thing some here will not recognize as having any validity."

You are confusing the people.

The Jews have been in, if one prefers to call it, Palestine.
They are the Palestinians the Romans changed the name into Syria Palestinia.

The Palestinian Arabs are descendants of the same ethnicity of Arabs who invaded the area in the 7th century, while Jews were still living there, and continued to live there. The Arabs did not call the Jews or any other people of the area "Palestinians".

The idea of calling Jews and Arabs, Druze, etc Palestinians, came from the British Mandate for Palestine (it should have been called after Israel, but it was not)

Not being able to stop the descendants of the ancient Jews from recreating their ancient nation, or destroy it after 1948, the Arabs leaders - Arafat - decided to adopt the identity of Palestinians, in 1964.

That was not because they wanted to create a State called Palestine because they identified as such. It was to continue to try to destroy Israel.

And these facts seem to be something you cannot absorb and think about.

Since the first Arab riot in 1920, the Jewish leaders have been able to share the land. 78 % was taken without asking the Jews and given to the Hashemites.
In 1937 the Jewish leaders agreed to a partition for Jews and Arabs.
What were they in the middle of? Did the Arab leaders accept?

The same thing for 1947 and the UN proposed partition.

Q: If the Arab leaders so identify with a Palestinian identity, and I am not speaking about the rest of the population, why are they so intent in destroying Israel in order to have their State on top of it?

I'm not confusing anyone Sixties...but you are mixing issues. Let's stick to one argument at the time.

Are the Palestinian a "people" - at this point in time? Yes.

Do they have a heritage and roots in those lands they inhabit? Yes.

You say they are nothing more than Arab invaders. Think on this a moment. The Arab culture and Muslim religion spread widely - by conquest and also by benign conversion as with most religions. The people who lived there - what of them? Did they automatically disappear? No. They converted, intermarried, whatever - but they are the same people who's ancestors were Christians, Jews and pagans and who farmed those same lands and grazed their herds. Those - plus immigrants from other Arab countries are who the Palestinians are today. Genetic studies support that. Palestinians are very close to Jews - infact closer than some Jewish groups are to each other. So saying they are nothing more than Arab invaders is dishonest.
You say they are nothing more than Arab invaders. Think on this a moment. The Arab culture and Muslim religion spread widely - by conquest and also by benign conversion as with most religions. The people who lived there - what of them? Did they automatically disappear? No. They converted, intermarried, whatever - but they are the same people who's ancestors were Christians, Jews and pagans and who farmed those same lands and grazed their herds. Those - plus immigrants from other Arab countries are who the Palestinians are today. Genetic studies support that. Palestinians are very close to Jews - infact closer than some Jewish groups are to each other. So saying they are nothing more than Arab invaders is dishonest.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

RE: Who Are The Palestinians? Part 2
※→ P F Tinmore, Shusha, et al,

Yes, this is position that → the Oslo Accords "expired" → is the radicals way of justifying continuation of "armed struggle" (their principle objective).

Interviewer: "Has the Palestinian leadership ever officially declared that it is no longer bound by the Oslo Accords?"

Salwa Hudaib: "The Vienna Convention stipulates that if any party breaches an agreement, that agreement becomes null and void. Israel did not implement the agreement within five years, and it continued its activities of settlement, of Judaization, of deportation, killings, and oppression, and only intensified its occupation and settlements, and therefore, we are not bound by the Oslo Accords. President Abu Mazen [Mahmoud Abbas] has not declared this officially, except for when he said, during the [2017] Al-Aqsa Uprising, that we were halting the [security] coordination and all bilateral relations with the Israelis. This started on July 14th, 2017, and it continues to this day. In addition, the popular resistance has intensified. So we are not bound by the Oslo Accords. I say, on my own behalf and on behalf of the Fatah movement, that we are not bound by the Oslo Accords, because these accords no longer exist on the ground."
----
The Oslo Accords created the Palestinian Authority. it is what gave the Palestinians self-rule over Areas A and B.

So if they say it is abrogated, then Israel has every legal right to take over the entire West Bank again, and control it legally under international law, since there is no Palestinian legal entity.

(full article/video online)

If the PA isn't bound by the Oslo accords, then it should self-destruct, right? ~ Elder Of Ziyon - Israel News
Oslo expired in1999.

The Palestinians established a new government with the Palestinian Basic Law (constitution) of 2003. There was no mention of Israel, no mention of Oslo, no mention of occupation, no mention of changing borders.
(COMMENT)

The domestic "Basic Law" is not an international accord.

A/48/486 S/26560 11 October 1993 Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements
(AKA: Oslo I Accord)
A/51/889 S/1997/357 5 May 1997 Israeli-Palestinian Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip
(AKA: Oslo II Accord)

√ Neither Article XVII of Oslo I --- or --- Article XXXI of Oslo II have an expiration date.
√ Neither Article XVII of Oslo I --- or --- Article XXXI of Oslo II have a date corresponding to 1999.
⇒ I do not believe the Accords are expired.​

Article XV is the process for Dispute Resolution within Oslo I, corresponding to Article XXI on the Settlement of Differences. This process usually start with the standard arrangements.

• UN Guide to Resolving Disputes
• Mediation Service was established by the General Assembly as part of the United Nations Ombudsman and Mediation Services (UNOMS)​

To the best of my knowledge, the Arab Palestinians never even tried to activate the Dispute Resolution Process. They jumped immediately to a bastardized Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Process (AKA: bDRP).

Most Respectfully,
R

Each group that wants to be recognized as a "people" has to make a case for it first - you can't just negate them automatically based on the premise they will eventually swallow a land. In fact, that isn't happening. No other group is fighting for same territories or claiming any rights.

Can you clarify what you mean by this. I'm not sure I understand and don't want to assume.

Well...who decides when a people is a people? I don't know. I think each group that wants that recognition must make a case for it. I guess self identitification is a major part of it. Despite the seeming ease of it we don't have hundreds of groups clammering for recognition and rights. Does that clarify at all?
The Palestinians became Palestinians according to international law, the Treaty of Lausanne, and the Citizenship Order of 1925.

Did they self identify with the new name? Good question. I think of Saigon. Saigon was the name for a long time. When the name was changed to Ho Chi Min City, how long did it take for the locals to identify themselves to the new name? I still think of it as Saigon because that is what it was called when I was there.

Yes, this is position that → the Oslo Accords "expired" → is the radicals way of justifying continuation of "armed struggle"
Oslo was not a valid agreement to begin with.

The legal rights of the inhabitants of occupied territory cannot be curtailed by any agreement or other arrangement between the occupying power and the authorities of the occupied territory. This is intended to prevent national authorities from being put under pressure to make concessions which might not be in the population’s best interests or weaken its legal rights.

Similarly, the inhabitants of the occupied territory cannot renounce their rights under the Fourth Geneva Convention. This again is a safeguard. It prevents the occupying power from exploiting the vulnerability of the occupied territory by exerting undue pressure to undermine and weaken the protection which the law affords.

https://www.icrc.org/eng/assets/files/other/law9_final.pdf

Tinmore says that the Jewish people (the real ones) aren't eligible for self-determination because they don't want self-determination.
:confused-84::confused-84::confused-84:

The Real (tm) Jews who lived in The territory in 1925 didn't want self-determine or a nation. They thought the place should remain under Arab control. That's what you've told me before.
Well sure. What minority ethnicity / religious group wouldn't want to share the dhimmi status under Islamist rule?

Tinmore says that the Jewish people (the real ones) aren't eligible for self-determination because they don't want self-determination.

The Real (tm) Jews who lived in The territory in 1925 didn't want self-determine or a nation. They thought the place should remain under Arab control. That's what you've told me before.
Well sure. What minority ethnicity / religious group wouldn't want to share the dhimmi status under Islamist rule?
The Ottoman Empire did away with the dhimmi status in the mid 19th century. Palestine has not considered bringing it back.

※→ P F Tinmore, et al,

There may be Arab Palestinians that follow this logic, but that was not the intent of by the Hague Regulation (HR) and the Geneva Convention (GCIV) Set.

Yes, this is position that → the Oslo Accords "expired" → is the radicals way of justifying continuation of "armed struggle"
Oslo was not a valid agreement to begin with.

The legal rights of the inhabitants of occupied territory cannot be curtailed by any agreement or other arrangement between the occupying power and the authorities of the occupied territory. This is intended to prevent national authorities from being put under pressure to make concessions which might not be in the population’s best interests or weaken its legal rights.

Similarly, the inhabitants of the occupied territory cannot renounce their rights under the Fourth Geneva Convention. This again is a safeguard. It prevents the occupying power from exploiting the vulnerability of the occupied territory by exerting undue pressure to undermine and weaken the protection which the law affords.

https://www.icrc.org/eng/assets/files/other/law9_final.pdf
(COMMENT)

There will always be those that are embittered by outcomes they cannot agree with; and like the Arab Palestinian, will go to any lengths to impede progress. The West Bank, Gaza Strip and Jerusalem are filled with those create obstacles for those that have actually achieved something that was greater than themselves.

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.57.01 PM.png

Even though their collective accomplishments were, from the outset, politically entangled, they still brought enemies to the table to talk peace. They were recognized for their efforts by the most renouned body on the planet. The internationally community had an incite into what was prohibited. That is more than any other Arab Palestinian has done since.

To the best of my knowledge, the Arab Palestinians never even tried to activate the Dispute Resolution Process.
What Dispute Resolution Process?
(COMMENT)

I think I supplied the links to how the process brings it together.

Most Respectfully,
R

Last edited:

The Ottoman Empire did away with the dhimmi status in the mid 19th century. Palestine has not considered bringing it back.

Well actually, the Ottoman Empire effectively collapsed under the dead weight of its own irrelevance long before 1924. There was simply no mechanism for a failed "Empire" to enforce islamic supremacy. While you are loathe to admit it, Islamism has never taught equality as it relates to Moslems and the kuffar / non-moslems. Islamic ideology strikes a clear line of demarcation between those two entities. At no time in islamist history have Moslems equated non-Moslems as equals.

※→ P F Tinmore, et al,

Well, I'm talking about the processes facilitate the mediation; not the agreement themselves.

I think I supplied the links to how the process brings it together.
Is that the one that Israel has to agree to before it can happen?
(COMMENT)

The way International Law works today, Israel will not be able to fight and make a decisive victory. The International Rules of Law are such that the insurgency will last fr another decade or more. Israel is not allowed to set the condition such that the Arab Palestinians noloner have the will to fight.

Most Respectfully,
R

The idea is to help Gaza move beyond one of its darkest chapters — the weeklong round of internecine fighting that ended with Hamas’ takeover of the territory in 2007. More than 700 Palestinians were killed in the infighting between the Fatah and Hamas factions, which was characterized by pitched gunbattles on Gaza’s streets and scenes of people being thrown off the rooftops of high-rise buildings.

(full article online)

To help unity deal, Gaza families get $50,000 payments to end blood feuds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back