Who are the GOP Intellectuals, if any?

R

rdean

Going back to Ronald Reagan, he was a "B" movie actor.

Then you had A lister, Arnold, probably an even better actor than Ron, but an alien, can't be president.

Then you have bathing suit runway walker Sarah Palin.

Then there is "nude centerfold magazine model", Scott Brown.

Don't forget "talk show host" and "comic" and "strummer", Mike Huckabee.

Now there is reality TV show star Donald Trump.

When I see GOP, I think of these as the "intellectual heavy hitters". If not them, then who?

After Buckley passed there are few to none. I don't consider the Fox-employed Kristol an intellectual because he founded the PNAC (he's a neocon)

Last edited:

Then you had A lister, Arnold, probably an even better actor than Ron, but an alien, can't be president.

When I see GOP, I think of these as the "intellectual heavy hitters". If not them, then who?

I'm not sure who they are, but they represent 6% of all Scientists.

Krauthammer and the Baseball writer, that old guy that hacks on the ABC sunday show most every week.

Can't think of his name.

Both are hacks though.

The GOP base is currently highly ANTI-Intellectual in its views. They eschew intellectuals as being elitists (among other more derogatory characterizations).

Instead, they favor an ideological approach which tends to border on a pretty strict adherence to orthodoxy. Because of that, a pragmatic approach to solving problems is rejected in favor of the previously mentioned orthodoxy. That's why the GOP flatly rejects tax increases of any kind to HELP solve America's budget crisis. Instead, they want to solve the budget crisis by only cutting spending. Such an approach makes solving the problem not only more difficult, but also more painful. It's probably also a recipe to lose their majority because seniors and their families aren't likely to sit still for the draconian cuts the GOP will have to propose in order to balance the budget if any and all tax increases are really a nonstarter as the GOP states. Those seniors will turn on the GOP at the ballot box. If there really were any true intellectuals within the GOP membership, they would realize that fact.

teapartysamurai, bucs90, and CaliforniaGirl.

The USMB conservative braintrust.

Together, they make up an entire "half-wit".

Seriously, it's a good question. I guess David Brooks, George Will, Thomas Sowell, for starters might qualify as 'intellectual' conservatives, in some sense.

I think PEW research may be wrong. If the USMB is any indication, the 6% number may be vastly over stated.

Public Praises Science; Scientists Fault Public, Media | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

528-12.gif

We need to define "intellectual", because there are many that are educated beyond their intelligence. This goes for Democrats also.

Yea, too much "education" is a "bad" thing. Usually, this is referred to as "right wing logic".

They're all government employees. the vast majority of them produce nothing of any value to humanity.

You must be talking about right wingers.

NASA spinoffs, space benefits, space history, NASA space spinoffs, NASA technology products

Who do you think the intellectuals of the Democratic Party are?

Jesse Jackson Jr?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5X8W7MgbhM]YouTube - Jesse Jackson Jr. Blames The iPad For Killing Jobs[/ame]

Hank Johnson?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs23CjIWMgA]YouTube - Hank Johnson (Congress D-GA) - Warns Guam May Capsize[/ame]

Everyone I have ever known that was considered or labeled themselves an "intellectual" was far educated beyond their intelligence.
Intellectuals are usually stat keepers or, if they do make it onto the field, place kickers.

Who do you think the intellectuals of the Democratic Party are?

Jesse Jackson Jr?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5X8W7MgbhM]YouTube - Jesse Jackson Jr. Blames The iPad For Killing Jobs[/ame]

Hank Johnson?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs23CjIWMgA]YouTube - Hank Johnson (Congress D-GA) - Warns Guam May Capsize[/ame]

Jesse Jr. is as big a shake down con artist as his Dad. I don't care for Johnson either but that was tongue and cheek.

One of them went-off as usual last night like the interwebs are her.....errr.....their entire existence LOL

Last edited:
Seriously, it's a good question. I guess David Brooks, George Will, Thomas Sowell, for starters might qualify as 'intellectual' conservatives, in some sense.

That's the baseball writer I was referring to earlier that comes on the ABC Sunday show...George "MFing" Will...pretty hacky MFer.

David Brooks is less of a hack.

Both are RW intellectuals...I don't always cringe when I hear them speak, maybe 50/50.

And why do libs worship faculty lounge theoreticians like Obama who've never done anything remotely worthwhile?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back