Who are the 47% that pay no "income" taxes?

Who are the 47% that pay no "income" taxes?

- according to a recently released IRS report (PDF), 1,470 millionaires and billionaires paid zero taxes in 2009.

- the 400 richest earners across the land pay a 17 percent tax rate (yours is more like 35 percent).

Mine is over 40% when considering all fees sales taxes, etc, etc, etc. What I read is the semi honest rich who only follow the lawyers dictates pay 17%. Poor fellas. Geez, why is everybody always pickin on 'em?

My step graddaughter pays no income tax. She has four kids, get HUD housing, WIC, EBT, child care credit, she files income tax with no income because every year she get a refund on the taxes she didn't pay in the form of earned income tax credits. Her medical care is paid for. She gets reduced utility rates, the government has given her a cell phone in addition to her lifeline land phone. She gets a new bus pass every month, if she needs more, she has transit services that will take her door to door wherever she wants to go. The family figured out how much her income is in real dollars. Depending on how you want to figure it, her real income is between $3,500 and $5,000 a month. Without working at anything other than having sex and smoking dope.

I would rather the rich kept the money.

Ame®icano;4273197 said:
I wonder if those 47% use roads, public safety services, do they support our troops, etc.

The troops are the 47%

Since when? I remember the income tax coming out of mine. I might even entertain that the entire check was tax money given to us. Then I recall the bastards wouldnt even give us adequate ammo.

Since it was a volunteer force that volunteered under the understanding that the 299 a month was all that.

Ame®icano;4273197 said:
I wonder if those 47% use roads, public safety services, do they support our troops, etc.

The troops are the 47%

They're not.

But that's not what I meant. Troops are getting paid from federal income tax. If 47% doesn't pay it, can they really claim they support the troops? Well, beside just saying they do...

Are you trying to redefine Social Security and Medicare in your own image Editec?? FDR would NOT approve of your analysis. THese insurance programs were conceived as UNIVERSAL programs for ALL workers. Premiums into an insurance program where closely EQUAL BENEFITS came from closely EQUAL CONTRIBUTIONS. NOTHING in the formulation of these plans said that SOME workers needed to pay 4 or 5 times what somebody was paying to get essentially the same benefits.
No, that's not right. They weren't conceived as universal programs for all workers (in fact, the original program left out many) and contributions were never "closely equal". Someone making 25% of the cap was always going to pay 1/4 of the person making the cap or someone making 20x the cap.

See the FDR statement below. Initially SS was phased in by industry. NOT by class. So as each new industry was included, ALL workers were included. WOMEN for instance were largely excluded at first. By mid 50s 80% of all workers included. The cap remained nearly level til the 70s. A LOT of bad SS decisions were made in the 70s. Especially the plan to STEAL excess FICA contributions. (see MartyBegan's post below)

Huh? Of COURSE they're regressive. In fact, they are the definition of regressive: As you earn more, your contribution rate goes down. Someone making a million pays a rate 1/10th of someone making 100K.

Can't be regressive if the purpose of the FICA contribution is only to fund the program. Someone making a million doesn't NEED to contribute at the same rate for ALL of his salary to get essentially the same measly benefit as someone making 40K.. FICA programs ARE NOT supposed to be revenue generators for the general fund.

No, they don't. They go directly into a trust fund, and are immediately used to pay current benefit OR exchanged for special issue treasuries to fund...The general fund. Payments to SS recipients actually come out of that same general fund.

I said the same thing. Except for the THEFT of EXCESS SS. NOTHING should ever go into the General Fund that isn't exchanged for one of those phoney "notes" in the Trust Fund. But NO -- payments come directly out of SSA accounting -- NOT the General Fund -- Unless SS is running in deficit.

It's only separate as an accounting identity.

It needs to stay that way... It needs to MANAGE like a REAL insurance program. Not lumped into the piggy bank that the Clowns can further steal and loot..

Social Security 1939 Amendments

FOLLOWING his approval of the Social Security Act Amendments of 1939, President Roosevelt on August 11 made a public statement in which he declared the amendments to be "another tremendous step forward in providing greater security for the people of this country." The President commented specifically on the changes in the old-age insurance system, expressing his gratification that in liberalizing the provisions a reasonable relationship had been retained between wage loss sustained and benefits received. "This," he declared, "is a most important distinguishing characteristic of social insurance as contrasted with any system of flat pensions."

NOTE ==== FDR assumed a reasonable relationship between what a worker CONTRIBUTED and what they recieved. NOT fat cats SUBSIDIZING lower wage workers!!!!

With regard to changes in coverage of the system, the President remarked: "I am glad that the insurance benefits have been extended to cover workers in some occupations that have previously not been covered. However, workers in other occupations have been excluded. In my opinion, it is imperative that these insurance benefits be extended to workers in all occupations."

NOTE ==== FDR Intended that it would quickly and eventually apply to ALL workers in ALL occupation..
**LIke I said, the programs were not conceived as universal. It is clearly regressive because the contribution structure is such that the more you earn, the lower your contribution rate. That is the definition of regressive.

**SS has no choice but to sell its excess to the general fund (an excess, by the way, that was merely transitory and short term until Reagan virtually doubled the contribution rate). Where else would SS park the extra trillions?

Ame®icano;4273253 said:
Ame®icano;4273197 said:

The troops are the 47%

hey're not.

But that's not what I meant. Troops are getting paid from federal income tax. If 47% doesn't pay it, can they really claim they support the troops? Well, beside just saying they do...

Yes, they are.

Well not all of them obviously, but a whole bunch of E-1 to E-5's are.

I know I got all of my federal back when I was as a single filer as an E-2 and E-3.

To what you meant .... you're just being a dick using the troops to attack people you look down on or whatever your reason may be. The 47% pay plenty of taxes and often at a higher overall rate of their gross income.

Also, besides many of the troops themselves being part of the 47% many of those 47% have sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, brothers, sisters, etc serving in harms way.

Do you think it's the wealthy's kids that make up lion's share of the military?

Frankly, it's fucking pathetic that you would try to go there in the first place.

No doubt you are the kind of guy who helped drive me from the GOP when I expressed opposition to the Iraq war after I separated.

Now, piss off.

Ame®icano;4273197 said:

The troops are the 47%

Since when? I remember the income tax coming out of mine. I might even entertain that the entire check was tax money given to us. Then I recall the bastards wouldnt even give us adequate ammo.

Since it was a volunteer force that volunteered under the understanding that the 299 a month was all that.

I remember income tax coming out of mine as well. I also remember getting a nice fat tax return.

You do know that the kid making minimum wage at McDonald's has federal income taxes taken out of his check every week, right?

The troops are the 47%

I remember income tax coming out of mine as well. I also remember getting a nice fat tax return.

You do know that the kid making minimum wage at McDonald's has federal income taxes taken out of his check every week, right?

Yes and if they get it all back they are not paying income tax.

The fact that you clowns keep bringing in other taxes tells us of the desperation you seek in carrying forward the class warfare fight.

I have never received everything I have paid in, back. NEVER.

Ame®icano;4273253 said:
The troops are the 47%

hey're not.

Yes, they are.

Well not all of them obviously, but a whole bunch of E-1 to E-5's are.

I know I got all of my federal back when I was as a single filer as an E-2 and E-3.

To what you meant .... you're just being a dick using the troops to attack people you look down on or whatever your reason may be. The 47% pay plenty of taxes and often at a higher overall rate of their gross income.

Also, besides many of the troops themselves being part of the 47% many of those 47% have sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, brothers, sisters, etc serving in harms way.

Do you think it's the wealthy's kids that make up lion's share of the military?

Frankly, it's fucking pathetic that you would try to go there in the first place.

No doubt you are the kind of guy who helped drive me from the GOP when I expressed opposition to the Iraq war after I separated.

Now, piss off.

You know very well we're not talking about them. Do you?

Yes and if they get it all back they are not paying income tax.

The fact that you clowns keep bringing in other taxes tells us of the desperation you seek in carrying forward the class warfare fight.

I have never received everything I have paid in, back. NEVER.

I have.....as a short order cook and as a lower enlisted member of the Air Force.

I am fortunate enough now that I have a job where I have a so called "skin" in the federal income tax game.

No, dude, the fact that you want to ignore the other taxes that are paid in order create this simple minded 47% vs 53% neighbor vs neighbor, brother vs brother battle is the real divide being made. And you are a useful idiot perpetuating it.

Im lost so somehow them paying state and sales taxes and whatnot that somehow makes it false the 47% essentially pay no federal income taxes?

Not false, misleading.

Here's the thing. Sometimes people do make a false statement about this by saying "47% of the people pay no taxes." That's not true. If it were true, it might be cause for concern, because it would mean that 53% of the people were carrying the other 47% who were not pulling their weight in terms of public expenses.

So this is a false statement with a serious implication.

Sometimes people make a true statement: that 47% of the people pay no federal income tax. While this statement is true, it does not have the same implication; since those who pay no federal income tax still pay federal taxes, as well as state and local taxes, it's NOT true that 53% of the people are carrying the other 47% who are not pulling their weight in terms of public expenses.

So here's the choice: You can make a false statement that, if it were true, would have very serious implications.

Or you can make a true statement that means doodly-squat.

Im lost so somehow them paying state and sales taxes and whatnot that somehow makes it false the 47% essentially pay no federal income taxes?

Not false, misleading.

Here's the thing. Sometimes people do make a false statement about this by saying "47% of the people pay no taxes." That's not true. If it were true, it might be cause for concern, because it would mean that 53% of the people were carrying the other 47% who were not pulling their weight in terms of public expenses.

So this is a false statement with a serious implication.

Sometimes people make a true statement: that 47% of the people pay no federal income tax. While this statement is true, it does not have the same implication; since those who pay no federal income tax still pay federal taxes, as well as state and local taxes, it's NOT true that 53% of the people are carrying the other 47% who are not pulling their weight in terms of public expenses.

So here's the choice: You can make a false statement that, if it were true, would have very serious implications.

Or you can make a true statement that means doodly-squat.
Yet how is it that wormy, whining little liberoidals plan going about making sure that the reviled wealthy "pay their fair share"?....Income taxes.

So here's the choice: You can admit that you're nothing more than a base, callow class warrior.

Or you can disingenuously misdirect and try to change the subject (which is INCOME taxes) and prattle about how the sainted poooooooor can't get out of paying taxes that, no matter how much one makes, nobody gets out of paying.

I'll give steep odds that you'll stick with #2.

New Topics

Forum List

Back