Who are the 47% that pay no "income" taxes?

Your article Rails about Ignoring FICA and MC, which the 47% does pay. Why would you count Fica and MC? They are to fund specific Programs. It is Federal Income Tax withholding that funds the US budget, and it is Federal Income tax that the right is talking about when they say 47% pay 0 and the top 2 % pay 50%.
The taxes for Medicare and FICA go into the same general fund budget as standard income taxes. They are a tax on one set of individuals and a transfer payment to another - just like most government spending.

Why wouldn't you count it?

Because we all pay FICA and MC at the same rate, Rich or Poor. The only place you end up with 47% not paying anything at all, is with the Progressive Federal Income Tax. It's not a matter of Counting FICA and MC or not, because everyone pays those taxes. Fact's are Fact's 47% of Tax Payers paid no Federal Income Tax last year.

Besides FICA and MC are not SUPPOSE to be used to fund the General Budget.
Again more bullshit. You pay the same rate up to the threshold, so those who earn more than the threshold pay a lower rate. and cap gains pay no FICA tax, so not only do they pay a lower tax rate on their income they pay nothing at all in FICA taxes.

This thread is about the 47% that get bashed for supposedly paying no taxes.

You need some help here Lakhota.. I used to train leftists to be better message board warriors -- so I've been thru this before..

To make this case that the 46% pay a fair share of taxes you should never leave out Fed/State Gas tax which is outrageously regressive and a large part of the cost of product. Similiarly Fed alcohol and tobacco taxes which in the case of tobacco accounts for MORE than the cost or profit of the product itself. There are also Fed PHONE taxes, Fed Cable taxes and Fed usage taxes such as on airfare.

Then you have the regressive ephemeral taxes of which the largest is the Fed policy to keep interest rates artificially low for waaay too long. Effects the "senior" demographics who planned to live off of the interest and dividends of their savings. Same effect as a regressive tax. Takes food right out their mouths. There's also inflation, a stealth REGRESSIVE tax that the GOVT now hides in manipulated statements of COLA that allow them to SCREW seniors and welfare beneficiaries into recieving less than their fair share of entitlements.

Man -- that was easy. You owe me bud... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why did I do that? Because I HATE TAXES.... My goal is that EVERYBODY pays less. And because I can't stand to see the incompetence of how the left presents their arguments. It hurts me when both sides don't get a fair debate..

:cool:

The wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.

The 10% of households with the highest incomes pay more than half of all federal taxes. They pay more than 70% of federal income taxes, according to the CBO. I am personally sick of the constant parsing of fact from fiction!

That's bullshit. Figures I saw today claim that the wealthy pay about 17%. I am upward of 40%.

I am just poor enough to not be able to afford such lawyers nor do I have a desire to employ them.

CBPP47percent.jpg

CHART OF THE DAY: These Are The 47 Percent

By Brian Beutler | October 14, 2011

What's really going on here is that about 47 percent of households paid no federal income tax in 2009. Either they owed nothing, or they got as much back from the federal government as they paid -- or more.

This ignores payroll taxes, state and local taxes, gas taxes, excise taxes and much more. But to hear conservatives talk about it, you'd think these people's entire tax burden was $0.00. In April, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), citing similar data, claimed "According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, 49 percent of households are paying 100 percent of taxes coming in to the federal government." Notice the absence of the key qualifier, "income." And Grassley's far from alone.

Right now about one-third of the 47 percent are people who are too old to work, full time students, disability beneficiaries, long-term unemployed and other such despicable freeloaders. Because the 47 percent figure comes from using "households that file" as the denominator it includes people who have part time jobs and low paying jobs, Social Security and unemployment beneficiaries. The rest were people whose jobs paid little enough that, on net, they owed no income taxes. These people may have benefited from the stimulus' Making-Work-Pay tax credit, or saw their incomes drop enough during the recession to qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, and so on.

More: CHART OF THE DAY: These Are The 47 Percent | TPMDC

ME

I pay zero income tax, and now that I have had a child I will be getting back $1,500 more than the zero I paid.

In addition I worked as a courier for three years during which time I paid absolutely zero income tax or FICA, NOTHING, and when I did file I received $800 back.

I am curious, since you are so interested, how much do you make and how much do you pay in taxes?

The wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.

The 10% of households with the highest incomes pay more than half of all federal taxes. They pay more than 70% of federal income taxes, according to the CBO. I am personally sick of the constant parsing of fact from fiction!

That's bullshit. Figures I saw today claim that the wealthy pay about 17%. I am upward of 40%.

I am just poor enough to not be able to afford such lawyers nor do I have a desire to employ them.

Oh, guess what? I have enough to be content. I don't give a damn about the 40% if it will help others. It does bother me about all the whining from those who have more.

The taxes for Medicare and FICA go into the same general fund budget as standard income taxes. They are a tax on one set of individuals and a transfer payment to another - just like most government spending.

Why wouldn't you count it?

Because we all pay FICA and MC at the same rate, Rich or Poor. The only place you end up with 47% not paying anything at all, is with the Progressive Federal Income Tax. It's not a matter of Counting FICA and MC or not, because everyone pays those taxes. Fact's are Fact's 47% of Tax Payers paid no Federal Income Tax last year.

Again more bullshit. You pay the same rate up to the threshold, so those who earn more than the threshold pay a lower rate. and cap gains pay no FICA tax, so not only do they pay a lower tax rate on their income they pay nothing at all in FICA taxes.

Are you trying to redefine Social Security and Medicare in your own image Editec?? FDR would NOT approve of your analysis. THese insurance programs were conceived as UNIVERSAL programs for ALL workers. Premiums into an insurance program where closely EQUAL BENEFITS came from closely EQUAL CONTRIBUTIONS. NOTHING in the formulation of these plans said that SOME workers needed to pay 4 or 5 times what somebody was paying to get essentially the same benefits.

Your unique interpretation of what's FAIR for the FICA programs was NOWHERE to be found in the original concepts. And if that's what UNIVERSAL means, that it becomes just another redistribution of benefits --- you're never gonna fool the American people with UNIVERSAL healthcare or UNIVERSAL higher education. FICA taxes are NOT regressive. They are supposed to reflect actual costs of service. And the "service" is not OPTIONAL or debateable. If you want to redefine what FDR set out as Soc Sec -- I'd rather end it. I'm may be the ONLY person on this thread that gives a shit what the original intent was..

And 8537 --- THese FICA FUNDS do NOT go into the General Fund. Soc Sec and Medicare premiums go DIRECTLY to those Agencies. THe accounting is SEPARATE and MOST of us want to keep it that way because the Clown College can't keep their paws off of Trust Funds and dedicated funding streams..

Last edited:

Are you trying to redefine Social Security and Medicare in your own image Editec?? FDR would NOT approve of your analysis. THese insurance programs were conceived as UNIVERSAL programs for ALL workers. Premiums into an insurance program where closely EQUAL BENEFITS came from closely EQUAL CONTRIBUTIONS. NOTHING in the formulation of these plans said that SOME workers needed to pay 4 or 5 times what somebody was paying to get essentially the same benefits.

Your unique interpretation of what's FAIR for the FICA programs was NOWHERE to be found in the original concepts. And if that's what UNIVERSAL means, that it becomes just another redistribution of benefits --- you're never gonna fool the American people with UNIVERSAL healthcare or UNIVERSAL higher education. FICA taxes are NOT regressive. They are supposed to reflect actual costs of service. And the "service" is not OPTIONAL or debateable. If you want to redefine what FDR set out as Soc Sec -- I'd rather end it. I'm may be the ONLY person on this thread that gives a shit what the original intent was..

another F'in whiner

No, that's not right. They weren't conceived as universal programs for all workers (in fact, the original program left out many) and contributions were never "closely equal". Someone making 25% of the cap was always going to pay 1/4 of the person making the cap or someone making 20x the cap.

Your unique interpretation of what's FAIR for the FICA programs was NOWHERE to be found in the original concepts. And if that's what UNIVERSAL means, that it becomes just another redistribution of benefits --- you're never gonna fool the American people with UNIVERSAL healthcare or UNIVERSAL higher education. FICA taxes are NOT regressive.

Huh? Of COURSE they're regressive. In fact, they are the definition of regressive: As you earn more, your contribution rate goes down. Someone making a million pays a rate 1/10th of someone making 100K.

And 8537 --- THese FICA FUNDS do NOT go into the General Fund. Soc Sec and Medicare premiums go DIRECTLY to those Agencies.

No, they don't. They go directly into a trust fund, and are immediately used to pay current benefit OR exchanged for special issue treasuries to fund...The general fund. Payments to SS recipients actually come out of that same general fund.

THe accounting is SEPARATE and MOST of us want to keep it that way because the Clown College can't keep their paws off of Trust Funds and dedicated funding streams..
It's only separate as an accounting identity.

And 8537 --- THese FICA FUNDS do NOT go into the General Fund. Soc Sec and Medicare premiums go DIRECTLY to those Agencies. THe accounting is SEPARATE and MOST of us want to keep it that way because the Clown College can't keep their paws off of Trust Funds and dedicated funding streams..

And thats how the whole concept of the "Trust Fund" came into being. The excess was basically given to the general fund, and IOU's were given to the SS administration. It all worked just dandy, until the yearly SS expenditures became greater than the revenue. So now not only has the general fund lost a prime lemder, it now has to pay off maturing securities, instead of having them renewed plus a surplus.

No, that's not right. They weren't conceived as universal programs for all workers (in fact, the original program left out many) and contributions were never "closely equal". Someone making 25% of the cap was always going to pay 1/4 of the person making the cap or someone making 20x the cap.

See the FDR statement below. Initially SS was phased in by industry. NOT by class. So as each new industry was included, ALL workers were included. WOMEN for instance were largely excluded at first. By mid 50s 80% of all workers included. The cap remained nearly level til the 70s. A LOT of bad SS decisions were made in the 70s. Especially the plan to STEAL excess FICA contributions. (see MartyBegan's post below)

Huh? Of COURSE they're regressive. In fact, they are the definition of regressive: As you earn more, your contribution rate goes down. Someone making a million pays a rate 1/10th of someone making 100K.

Can't be regressive if the purpose of the FICA contribution is only to fund the program. Someone making a million doesn't NEED to contribute at the same rate for ALL of his salary to get essentially the same measly benefit as someone making 40K.. FICA programs ARE NOT supposed to be revenue generators for the general fund.

And 8537 --- THese FICA FUNDS do NOT go into the General Fund. Soc Sec and Medicare premiums go DIRECTLY to those Agencies.

No, they don't. They go directly into a trust fund, and are immediately used to pay current benefit OR exchanged for special issue treasuries to fund...The general fund. Payments to SS recipients actually come out of that same general fund.

I said the same thing. Except for the THEFT of EXCESS SS. NOTHING should ever go into the General Fund that isn't exchanged for one of those phoney "notes" in the Trust Fund. But NO -- payments come directly out of SSA accounting -- NOT the General Fund -- Unless SS is running in deficit.

THe accounting is SEPARATE and MOST of us want to keep it that way because the Clown College can't keep their paws off of Trust Funds and dedicated funding streams..
It's only separate as an accounting identity.

It needs to stay that way... It needs to MANAGE like a REAL insurance program. Not lumped into the piggy bank that the Clowns can further steal and loot..

Social Security 1939 Amendments

FOLLOWING his approval of the Social Security Act Amendments of 1939, President Roosevelt on August 11 made a public statement in which he declared the amendments to be "another tremendous step forward in providing greater security for the people of this country." The President commented specifically on the changes in the old-age insurance system, expressing his gratification that in liberalizing the provisions a reasonable relationship had been retained between wage loss sustained and benefits received. "This," he declared, "is a most important distinguishing characteristic of social insurance as contrasted with any system of flat pensions."

NOTE ==== FDR assumed a reasonable relationship between what a worker CONTRIBUTED and what they recieved. NOT fat cats SUBSIDIZING lower wage workers!!!!

With regard to changes in coverage of the system, the President remarked: "I am glad that the insurance benefits have been extended to cover workers in some occupations that have previously not been covered. However, workers in other occupations have been excluded. In my opinion, it is imperative that these insurance benefits be extended to workers in all occupations."

NOTE ==== FDR Intended that it would quickly and eventually apply to ALL workers in ALL occupation..

Last edited:
If Cain gets his way with his "9-9-9" flat tax plan, the 47% WILL BE TAXED, and there will be yet another shift of wealth in America from the ones who can least afford it to the richest segments of society!

My guess based on what I have seen in the real world? Mostly the underpaid, exploited and unemployed. Of course necessary to these ranks is a % of the plain ole' lazy but they definitely appear to be minority status regardless of their fame among the GOP.

- almost 1,500 of America's 230,000 millionaires avoided paying any federal income tax in 2009.

- the 400 richest earners across the land pay a 17 percent tax rate (yours is more like 35 percent)

- 25% of all households making $1 million paid a smaller share of their income in taxes than 10 million middle class families, according to a new report from the Congressional Research Service. In addition to the 94,500 millionaires paying a lower tax rate that much of the middle class, we've also shown that about 7,000 likely paid no federal income tax at all.

General Electric - paid no tax and received $4.1 billion in government refunds despite $26 billion in profits (the world’s largest corporation in the world’s lowest tax bracket)
- has paid no tax since 2006
- General electric PACs have given more than $13 million to campaign contributions and spent $205 million on lobbying.

Verizon - paid no tax (avoided $600 million in taxes due to "loophole")
- spent $12 million in campaign contributions and $131 million on lobbying during last 10 years

ExxonMobil - paid no tax and received a $156 million tax rebate despite making $19 billion in profits (2009)
- $5.7 million in campaign contributions and $138 million in lobbying expenditures over last 10 years

Chevron - paid no tax
ConocoPhillips - paid no tax
Valero - paid no tax
Boeing - paid no tax
FedEx - paid no tax
Carnival Cruise Lines - paid no tax
Bank of America - paid no tax (made $4.4 billion in 2010 and received government refunds of $1.9 billion)
CitiBank - paid no tax
Goldman Sachs - paid no tax

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/1500-millionaires-pay-income-tax/story?id=14242254

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/08/millionaire_taxes_irs_calif.php

url]http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/10/report-25-of-millionaires-pay-less-in-taxes-than-the-middle-class/246623/[/url]

http://www.publicampaign.org/reports/artfuldodgers/oil

Last edited:

Forum List

Back