Whitesplaning Racism

Correct; no excuses will be accepted before that condition changes.

Then stop making excuses because that's why things don't change.
What is the excuse for focusing on the micro rather than the real problem?

The real problem is people wanting to talk about how all of mankind while denying that mankind is doing here in our country right now. We can stop that, but when you talk about how its been part of mankind forever you allow people to deny the problem that exists NOW, here, in the country we live in.

Show the link
HA HA. Liberals re unable to separate themselves form THEIR indoctrinated definition of "link" -(liberal "tudies" from liberal sources)

Yeah right, until you ask for a link. Scared to show you got your imaginary black privilege post from stormfront?

We'd be better off if whites stopped explaining/lecturing and we all got to the task of communicating.

That won't happen any time soon, of course, because (a) there are too many people on both ends who like things just the way they are, and (b) as a society we have simply lost the ability to communicate effectively.

Self-inflicted wound. Oh well.

This section of USMB is he ultimate example of whitesplaining.

6 Ways Well-Intentioned People Whitesplain Racism (And Why They Need to Stop)

May 17, 2017 by Maisha Z. Johnson

And unfortunately, just as frequently, I’ve had white people try to explain racism to me, a woman of color. There’s a word for this phenomenon, too –whitesplaining. It’s incredibly frustrating to share my experiences with racism, only to have a white person try to speak over me about it – and often by belittling how racism hurts me.

If you’re white, you may have whitesplained without realizing it. To understand whitesplaining, now picture yourself in the following situation.

I’m venting about my day, and I tell you I’m angry that a white neighbor told me, “I don’t even see you as Black.”
You obviously live a very pampered life if you have time to get angry about something as innocuous as this. The majority of whites deal with far greater struggles.

Struggles like what? Opioid addiction and increasing suicide rates?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
We'd be better off if whites stopped explaining/lecturing and we all got to the task of communicating.

That won't happen any time soon, of course, because (a) there are too many people on both ends who like things just the way they are, and (b) as a society we have simply lost the ability to communicate effectively.

Self-inflicted wound. Oh well.

I don't know about both ends but we do need to communicate.

1. You Think I’ve Got a Fact Wrong (‘Actually…’)

Because of white supremacy, many white people – especially white men, who are also influenced by patriarchy – have been conditioned to speak over other people and dominate spaces.

And then you might do one of the most irritating forms of whitesplaining – assuming a person of color just doesn’t understand what’s going on.

I’ve experienced this too many times when white folks believe they know more about what I’ve been through than I do – through secondhand information or just their own wild guesses.

Talking with me about issues that affect my community means you have limits – you don’t have a lifetime of firsthand experience.

2. You Think My Feelings Are Wrong (‘Be Objective, It’s Not That Bad…’)

I’m upset, you’re confused, and the difference between our reactions isn’t just a matter of my being “oversensitive.” It’s a matter of privilege: You can learn about racism through secondhand sources, while I’ve directly experienced racism my entire life.

So it’s not up to you to decide what I should be offended by.

The truth is that you’re just as biased as anyone else – your perspective is influenced by your own experiences and position of privilege. That also gives you a biased point of view on what “objectivity” means.

3. You’re Concerned About My Approach (‘I Think What You Mean Is…’)

Whitesplainers are supposedly full of concern when they say I’d be better off, or a better advocate for racial justice, if I just said or did things differently.

For instance, have you ever felt the need to point out that a person of color was “generalizing” white people when they talked about racism?

If I say, “White people talk over me,” you might jump in with: “Not all white people. More people would listen to you if you didn’t generalize.”

Except there’s actually a problem with rushing to say that “not all white people” are part of the problem of white supremacy.

If I focused on reassuring every white person that they’re not personally responsible, then nobody would get the chance to examine how they might contribute .

Your attempt to make sure I get the right message across may come from a good place. But the thing is – and do forgive me if this comes across as “generalizing” – people who whitesplain so often get things wrong, or at the very least, they miss the point.

4. You Think You or Someone Else Is Being Falsely Accused (‘But I’m Not a Racist!’)

Speaking of derailments – when I’m talking about a racist act, I don’t have much interest in whether or not the person responsible is “a racist.”

When it comes to things like holding implicit biases and benefiting from white privilege, the question of whether or not someone is intentionally bigoted is completely irrelevant.

If you’re called out for racism and you take it as a personal attack on your character, you’re making the situation all about you – not the bigger picture of how all of us can take responsibility for our own role in white supremacy.

5. You Heard Another Person of Color Say Something Different (‘That’s Not What I Heard…’)

Listening to people of color is a great way to learn about racism. But please don’t just carry our quotes around like weapons to use against other marginalized folks.

Too many white people use this tactic to tell us that we’re wrong about racism – citing the Native friend who doesn’t mind cultural appropriation, or the Black celebrity who disagrees with Black Lives Matter protesters.

Or people like Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, Ben Carson, etc.

For one thing, Black people are not a monolith. We’re allowed to disagree. And your whiteness doesn’t grant you the authority to determine which one of us is right.

6. You Want Me to Stop Talking About Racism (‘You’re Being So Divisive’)

Let’s face it – there are several excuses for whitesplaining, from hurt feelings to so-called “concern,” but many people who whitesplain do it simply because they don’t want me to talk about race.

“You’re being divisive.” “We should be uniting.” “There’s no such thing as race – we’re all human!”

Whitesplaining is particularly dangerous when it’s used to shut down conversation and action against racism.

Last edited:
If a post with a link showing that information posted here is from stormfront gets deleted, then the post that contains the stormfront information needs to be deleted also.

And unfortunately, just as frequently, I’ve had white people try to explain racism to me, a woman of color. There’s a word for this phenomenon, too –whitesplaining. It’s incredibly frustrating to share my experiences with racism, only to have a white person try to speak over me about it – and often by belittling how racism hurts me.

If you’re white, you may have whitesplained without realizing it. To understand whitesplaining, now picture yourself in the following situation.

I’m venting about my day, and I tell you I’m angry that a white neighbor told me, “I don’t even see you as Black.”

Would you reassure me that my neighbor meant well? If you do, don’t be surprised if I’m just as annoyed as you would be if a man tried to explain your experience with street harassment to you.

Usually, signs of whitesplaining include a condescending tone and a paternalistic assumption that a person of color doesn’t know enough to accurately articulate their own experience.

The term doesn’t apply to every instance when a white person talks about racism, just like mansplaining doesn’t apply to every instance when a man talks about gender oppression. But whitesplaining is a result of the power white people hold as part of the dominant culture in the US. So recognizingwhen it’s happening is one of the everyday ways you can help dismantle the oppressive system of white supremacy.

Like with other forms of privileged explaining, including mansplaining, people who whitesplain have been conditioned to believe that they’re somehow more qualified to speak about a marginalized group than a person who belongs to that group.

That’s why there’s no equivalent like “blacksplaining.” When a Black person talks about race with a white person, they don’t have the same institutional power as a white person who belongs to the dominant culture.

And that’s the problem with whitesplaining. It’s not just harmlessly discussing racism, but implicitly acting on racist ideas that say that people of color are ignorant and wrong, even about their own experiences.

You probably don’t think you’re motivated by racist ideas when you whitesplain – just like men don’t have to hate women in order to participate in everyday sexism like mansplaining.

For instance, you might think you have a perfectly good reason for telling me my neighbor didn’t mean to be racist. You’ve spent time with her, and you’ve never known her to be racist, or you can tell she meant to compliment me by saying she doesn’t see me as Black.

But while these well-meaning reasons for correcting me feel true, it’s also true that you can act on subconscious, implicit biases leading you to dismiss what I have to say because I’m Black.

If you don’t believe whitesplaining is wrong, then you’re missing how the motivation behind whitesplaining is influenced by white supremacy. So let’s unpack the most common reasons why whitesplaining happens, to examine why it’s so misguided.

I guarantee that many whites here will stop reading this after they see the word whites. These are the same people who will read volumes of racist lies about blacks without fail. Yet as they don't they'll be more than glad to post their opinions too stupid to understand they are doing exactly what the writer says.

You're not wrong, you're delusional.

This would be a great post, if it was exactly opposite of the reality.
fncceo made two posts at different times. In one he said IM2's experiences of racism were not valid. In the other he expected his experiences of bigotry to be taken seriously. A clear double standard.

edit...That standard informed by his whiteness.

Last edited:

Would you reassure me that my neighbor meant well? If you do, don’t be surprised if I’m just as annoyed as you would be if a man tried to explain your experience with street harassment to you.

Usually, signs of whitesplaining include a condescending tone and a paternalistic assumption that a person of color doesn’t know enough to accurately articulate their own experience.

The term doesn’t apply to every instance when a white person talks about racism, just like mansplaining doesn’t apply to every instance when a man talks about gender oppression. But whitesplaining is a result of the power white people hold as part of the dominant culture in the US. So recognizingwhen it’s happening is one of the everyday ways you can help dismantle the oppressive system of white supremacy.

Like with other forms of privileged explaining, including mansplaining, people who whitesplain have been conditioned to believe that they’re somehow more qualified to speak about a marginalized group than a person who belongs to that group.

That’s why there’s no equivalent like “blacksplaining.” When a Black person talks about race with a white person, they don’t have the same institutional power as a white person who belongs to the dominant culture.

And that’s the problem with whitesplaining. It’s not just harmlessly discussing racism, but implicitly acting on racist ideas that say that people of color are ignorant and wrong, even about their own experiences.

You probably don’t think you’re motivated by racist ideas when you whitesplain – just like men don’t have to hate women in order to participate in everyday sexism like mansplaining.

For instance, you might think you have a perfectly good reason for telling me my neighbor didn’t mean to be racist. You’ve spent time with her, and you’ve never known her to be racist, or you can tell she meant to compliment me by saying she doesn’t see me as Black.

But while these well-meaning reasons for correcting me feel true, it’s also true that you can act on subconscious, implicit biases leading you to dismiss what I have to say because I’m Black.

If you don’t believe whitesplaining is wrong, then you’re missing how the motivation behind whitesplaining is influenced by white supremacy. So let’s unpack the most common reasons why whitesplaining happens, to examine why it’s so misguided.

I guarantee that many whites here will stop reading this after they see the word whites. These are the same people who will read volumes of racist lies about blacks without fail. Yet as they don't they'll be more than glad to post their opinions too stupid to understand they are doing exactly what the writer says.

You're not wrong, you're delusional.

That would be you.

Over 50% of the population has spent the greater part of human existence under the domination of men. Not too many lesser problems will be resolved before that is.
That's mainly because women get pregnant, have babies, care for infants and toddlers, and all of this locates them IN THE HOME, while men are out in industry and govt, doing THOSE things.

Mansplaining. :blahblah:

4e312239196c29aa92c8b554a9f335b5.jpg

awesomely-cute-animals-290.jpg
funny-animal-pictures-of-the-week-016-012.jpg
enhanced-buzz-5551-1308162992-8.jpg
mouse_facepalm_by_cloudchild75-d7v1w0m.jpg
latest

Over 50% of the population has spent the greater part of human existence under the domination of men. Not too many lesser problems will be resolved before that is.

No excuses.

Get in line.

Your oppression is not more valid or important than mine, not to me or most women.

It is when white women played into the racism. Ask Emmitt Till. So then you step back.

White Women and Racial Complicity

To be a white woman in America is to be precariously power-adjacent: Because of our skin, we carry unquestioned privilege in power systems. Because of our gender, that security has a shelf life—we are included only as long as we are able or willing to perform according to those who control the levers.

It’s a dangerous charade, one so deeply internalized it often goes unexamined. Our history indicates that when white women want agency, we often go to white men—even when they are the source of our exclusion, or even if we have to sell out others along the way. In the wake of the 15th Amendment granting black men the right to vote, suffragists including Carrie Chapman Catt, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Laura Clay made their case for the white woman vote by appealing to white supremacy. In January, a new book revealed that Carolyn Bryant, the white woman who accused Emmett Till of touching her in 1955, had lied.

White women in America face a deficit of trust uniquely of our own making.

A Short History of White Women’s Complicity
Mothers of Massive Resistance: White Women and the Politics of White Supremacy by Elizabeth Gillespie McRae

In Mothers of Massive Resistance: White Women and the Politics of White Supremacy, historian Elizabeth Gillespie McRae makes a strong argument for white women’s vital role in protecting and perpetuating white supremacy and thwarting integration in the US. One hundred years ago, woman began to organize in ways that we would recognize from today’s resistance movements. They developed grassroots campaigns reaching out to other women and encouraging them to organize, to write letters, to publish, to speak up and to vote. They did this, however, in the name of Jim Crow, as a way to shore up white power in the face of legislation that would dismantle it. McRae demonstrates how white women, not just in the South but across the nation, turned their traditional roles as mothers, defenders of family and children, tellers of stories, and activists in schools into a political force that sustained racism, reshaped American conservatism, and continues to influence our politics and culture.

McRae’s goal is to demonstrate that the “fiercest proponents” of massive resistance to desegregation and racial integration in 20th century America were “…the daily grassroots activists who continually reshaped their support for various versions of racial segregation.” These diehard activists were largely white women who used their special roles in social welfare, public education, electoral politics and popular culture to keep the spirit of Jim Crow alive even when its legal basis had been removed by the Supreme Court and the federal government. She divides the book into two parts and a conclusion. Part I is entitled “Massive Support for Racial Segregation, 1920-1941”, Part II is “Massive Resistance to the Black Freedom Struggle, 1942-1974,” and the conclusion is “The New National Face of Segregation: Boston Women Against Busing.”

Check yourself woman. White women owned slaves, white women participated in Jim Crow nationwide. White women lied about black men and they were killed by those who you say oppressed you. You married your oppressors and when he died, you inherited your oppressors money/property if he had any. You married your oppressor and if you got divorced, you got half of what your oppressor had. So step back trying to come me like that lady. Humble yourself and know your history.

Because this is part of it.

Emmett Till's Accuser: I Made It Up

emmitt-till-collage.jpg

No excuses.

Get in line.

Your oppression is not more valid or important than mine, not to me or most women.

It is when white women played into the racism. Ask Emmitt Till. So then you step back.

To be a white woman in America is to be precariously power-adjacent: Because of our skin, we carry unquestioned privilege in power systems. Because of our gender, that security has a shelf life—we are included only as long as we are able or willing to perform according to those who control the levers.

It’s a dangerous charade, one so deeply internalized it often goes unexamined. Our history indicates that when white women want agency, we often go to white men—even when they are the source of our exclusion, or even if we have to sell out others along the way. In the wake of the 15th Amendment granting black men the right to vote, suffragists including Carrie Chapman Catt, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Laura Clay made their case for the white woman vote by appealing to white supremacy. In January, a new book revealed that Carolyn Bryant, the white woman who accused Emmett Till of touching her in 1955, had lied.

White women in America face a deficit of trust uniquely of our own making.

Mothers of Massive Resistance: White Women and the Politics of White Supremacy by Elizabeth Gillespie McRae

In Mothers of Massive Resistance: White Women and the Politics of White Supremacy, historian Elizabeth Gillespie McRae makes a strong argument for white women’s vital role in protecting and perpetuating white supremacy and thwarting integration in the US. One hundred years ago, woman began to organize in ways that we would recognize from today’s resistance movements. They developed grassroots campaigns reaching out to other women and encouraging them to organize, to write letters, to publish, to speak up and to vote. They did this, however, in the name of Jim Crow, as a way to shore up white power in the face of legislation that would dismantle it. McRae demonstrates how white women, not just in the South but across the nation, turned their traditional roles as mothers, defenders of family and children, tellers of stories, and activists in schools into a political force that sustained racism, reshaped American conservatism, and continues to influence our politics and culture.

McRae’s goal is to demonstrate that the “fiercest proponents” of massive resistance to desegregation and racial integration in 20th century America were “…the daily grassroots activists who continually reshaped their support for various versions of racial segregation.” These diehard activists were largely white women who used their special roles in social welfare, public education, electoral politics and popular culture to keep the spirit of Jim Crow alive even when its legal basis had been removed by the Supreme Court and the federal government. She divides the book into two parts and a conclusion. Part I is entitled “Massive Support for Racial Segregation, 1920-1941”, Part II is “Massive Resistance to the Black Freedom Struggle, 1942-1974,” and the conclusion is “The New National Face of Segregation: Boston Women Against Busing.”

Check yourself woman. White women owned slaves, white women participated in Jim Crow nationwide. White women lied about black men and they were killed by those who you say oppressed you. You married your oppressors and when he died, you inherited your oppressors money/property if he had any. You married your oppressor and if you got divorced, you got half of what your oppressor had. So step back trying to come me like that lady. Humble yourself and know your history.

Because this is part of it.

Emmett Till's Accuser: I Made It Up

emmitt-till-collage.jpg

According to you and your sources, ALL white people, even those with no power, contribute to white supremacy by merely existing here in America. Consequently, every person of colour is a victim at birth. As a woman in America, I call that B.S.. Our struggle has been worldwide and is being lost in much of the world.

Humans dominate whichever group they can. Black people oppress others when given the opportunity. Women dominate when given the opportunity. Life is a power struggle on every level, every relationship. The struggle ends when one submits or both negotiate bounds in some way (compromise).

You are not uniquely oppressed. You are not even oppressed worse than or more than others. People of color voted before women, the men anyway, in the US. Wives and daughters are chattel in a lot of the world. Honor killings, beatings, body shaming (burkas, hijabs, etc), being sold to men as wives, pay gaps even in Western countries, sexual harassment, etc.

If you would focus on illegal acts or changing laws, that would be one thing. It is a whole other thing to claim white people's existence in the US is racist (contributes to white supremacy) by default. That is no more true than, "The existence of men oppresses me!" It is an obvious way to shut down any discussion and to shame white people for breathing.

My existence on this planet somehow contributes to your victimhood; therefore, I need to modify my behavior. Sounds like a man telling me what to do and how to feel. Feels to me like I am being put in my place again. I bet you'd pat my head while mansplaining your whitesplaining grievances.

Yet another classic from IM2.

Remember; if you're white, you can't win. If you talk about race IN ANY WAY, you're a racist. If you don't talk about race at all, you're in denial and are therefore an instrument of the patriarchy ... I mean, the system of racial oppression, or whatever. Sorry; got my victimhood religious texts mixed up there for a second.

:boo_hoo14:

2,000 posts by whites dissing us and when we try showing how we can have a decent discussion we get the stupid. You don't talk abut race, you condemn blacks for things you believe that aren't true.

No I don't. Maybe if people were a little more fair and specific with their grievances, rather than proclaim that everything under the sun is symptomatic of a racist, discriminatory system (rarely coming up with any solutions that aren't downright preposterous, I might add), then maybe more serious, helpful white people would be more willing to engage in race-related discussions. Otherwise, it is just a lose-lose proposition. A doomed voyage from the outset. Kinda like discussing sex/gender with a feminist as a male. Why would you bother? They are going to find some reason to attack you regardless of what you say.

You obviously live a very pampered life if you have time to get angry about something as innocuous as this. The majority of whites deal with far greater struggles.

Struggles like what? Opioid addiction and increasing suicide rates?

Do stupid negroes like this understand that many white people, you know, the ones who work for a living and take care of themselves (unlike black welfare recipients), don't give much of a shit about his "problems?"
Whose problems would those be?

White people run the country, you clowns. Say thanks the USA isn't a shithole like one of the negro-run, negro-populated African shitholes.

Forum List

Back