Whites Kept From Elite Universities

Ozmar, I get the impression you emigrated here as an adult. That means you were educated in Australia, correct? Mebbe wanna study up a bit more on American history and sociology before making such insulting remarks about the US.

I would be less than popular if I moved to Australia and announced loudly every nasty fable I have ever heard about that nation's people, and you are facing that same obstacle here.

I'm not going to buy that. If I changed my avatar and didn't claim to be from Australia, you would just as soon not be so dismissive of my opinions and observations. Would it surprise you to know that I have been in America for 10 years? And that I'm attending a university in America. I believe I know just as much, if not more about American history than most. You don't have a clue whether you would be less than popular or not in Australia, and you know little to nothing of my circumstances.

I am most certainly not facing that same obstacle you claim exists. :cuckoo:

Take your cheapshots elsewhere, Madeleine. Playing the foreigner don't know card won't work on me.

Then stop writing ridiculous stereotypes of the US and its people, Ozmar.

Why do people still continue to put forth Black vs White diatribe? Life is not always fair, and you surely cannot please all the people. When will this country move beyond skin color? I'm so over it.

Now with that out of the way, I would really, like to see a new reality show with Joyce and Bass starring. Now that would be worth watching.

I also know that I had other advantages minorities didn't have.
What "other advantages" did you have?

I am delighted someone asked this, Tank....here are my off-the-top-of-my-head examples.....

* I can run all over town looking like shit, in a POS car, and few people will assume I am a prostitute, crack addict or welfare queen. I get the "benefit of the doubt" that I am just a careless dresser who might be wealthy or not...more info needed.

If I were black here, in shabby clothing and driving a POS car, I'd be getting pulled over constantly in the suburbs. LOTS of racial profiling here....nothing all that serious, but the cops assume certain "types" are not residents of their little hamlets and run speed traps on them.

* I grew up poor as shit, but once I was in college, that background was never an obstacle. Well-spoken white chicks are presumed to have at least a middle class background. This opened doors for me I never would have walked through had the gatekeeper fretted I'd "act ghetto" -- the most common reason given as to why black chicks are hardly ever out in front of a business, etc.

I am sure there are advantages I enjoyed as a white chick I wasn't aware were influenced by my ethnicity....we humans tend to blame others for our misfortunes and claim all our successes are 100% our own accomplishments, but that is not true of anyone.

I have been "white" all of my life.

But, never could find all of these "advantages" you keep referring to. :confused:

Sunni Man, the advantage of being white is subtle. It's kinda sorta like the advantage of being physically attractive. Did you get better service because of your ethnicity? Did you get hired? Etc.

We never know for sure when the bias is operational, but we know intuitively it affects our lives.

Ozmar, I get the impression you emigrated here as an adult. That means you were educated in Australia, correct? Mebbe wanna study up a bit more on American history and sociology before making such insulting remarks about the US.

I would be less than popular if I moved to Australia and announced loudly every nasty fable I have ever heard about that nation's people, and you are facing that same obstacle here.

I'm not going to buy that. If I changed my avatar and didn't claim to be from Australia, you would just as soon not be so dismissive of my opinions and observations. Would it surprise you to know that I have been in America for 10 years? And that I'm attending a university in America. I believe I know just as much, if not more about American history than most. You don't have a clue whether you would be less than popular or not in Australia, and you know little to nothing of my circumstances.

Take your cheapshots elsewhere, Madeleine. Playing the foreigner don't know card won't work on me.

What disturbs you more: That an outsider who had no preconceived notions of America when he first cam here, after living here for 10 year has come to the conclusion that a lot of the negative stereotypes are true, or that deep down you know that a lot of those negative stereotypes are true? Which one is it?

blacks are going to make whites sit in the back of the bus, and then make them slaves

What disturbs you more: That an outsider who had no preconceived notions of America when he first cam here, after living here for 10 year has come to the conclusion that a lot of the negative stereotypes are true, or that deep down you know that a lot of those negative stereotypes are true? Which one is it?

What bothers me is, you have no clue how fucking offensive your stereotypes of US people are. You seem to apply them directly to individuals you do not know, e.g., other USMB-ers. Also offensive. And last but not least, if I spent 10 years in YOUR nation and then claimed to know it all on all things Aussie.....well, once again, offensive, right?

these whiners are so fucking lilly white they haven't been around the dissadvantaged enough to know why it's needed.
Here's a fucking clue, top colleges are not even remotely over run by minorities.

The widening gap between rich and poor cannot be caused by college admissions practices, because these practices have gone largely unchanged for decades. But the trend can certainly be aggravated by these policies.

Education is the key to upward mobility in this country. The college degree is worth far more when awarded by Harvard than by Podunk College, Iowa. It is untrue that no Podunk grads become wealthy or middle class....but it is also true that virtually no Harvard grads remain poor.

We should be ready, willing and able to fight unfair and illegal discrimination no matter who it affects. Poor whites face a barrier to admission to the best schools that is in no way related to their ability to perform -- in fact, I'd argue success in the Future Farmers of America or the ROTC bodes well for future academic success.

Someone should sue, and if someone does, we should support that lawsuit. An evil act does not magically become morally neutral merely because the people injured are not the typical victims of racism or classism.

Last edited:

What bothers me is, you have no clue how fucking offensive your stereotypes of US people are. You seem to apply them directly to individuals you do not know, e.g., other USMB-ers. Also offensive. And last but not least, if I spent 10 years in YOUR nation and then claimed to know it all on all things Aussie.....well, once again, offensive, right?

Stop being oversensitive. Get over me being Australian. Stereotypes are by definition generalizations. I have met many Americans who do not fit into stereotypes, but I have met many more who fit into those stereotypes like a round peg in a round hole. I would be offended if you lived in Australia for 10 years and didn't have a fair grasp of the place, negatives and positives. Do you really expect me to just comment on the positives of America and not the negatives? I would be doing a disservice to myself and others if that were the case. :hellno:

Stop being oversensitive. Get over me being Australian. Stereotypes are by definition generalizations. I have met many Americans who do not fit into stereotypes, but I have met many more who fit into those stereotypes like a round peg in a round hole. I would be offended if you lived in Australia for 10 years and didn't have a fair grasp of the place, negatives and positives. Do you really expect me to just comment on the positives of America and not the negatives? I would be doing a disservice to myself and others if that were the case. :hellno:

No, I do not expect you not to comment on any of the US's major ills -- or minor ones. But I expect you to apply some thought to your posts and not just urp up the stereotypes you have garnered.

You have a unique perspective, Ozmar and could be a valuable poster to read -- if you gave more thought to what you write.

If I were black here, in shabby clothing and driving a POS car, I'd be getting pulled over constantly in the suburbs. LOTS of racial profiling here....nothing all that serious, but the cops assume certain "types" are not residents of their little hamlets and run speed traps on them.

* I grew up poor as shit, but once I was in college, that background was never an obstacle. Well-spoken white chicks are presumed to have at least a middle class background. This opened doors for me I never would have walked through had the gatekeeper fretted I'd "act ghetto" -- the most common reason given as to why black chicks are hardly ever out in front of a business, etc.

I am sure there are advantages I enjoyed as a white chick I wasn't aware were influenced by my ethnicity....we humans tend to blame others for our misfortunes and claim all our successes are 100% our own accomplishments, but that is not true of anyone.
Is this the way you feel, or are you sterotyping others?

I'm curious, is the stereotype of Aussie men being neanderthal dimwits that miss treat women and stay drunk on beer all day...... true?

What "other advantages" did you have?

I am delighted someone asked this, Tank....here are my off-the-top-of-my-head examples.....

* I can run all over town looking like shit, in a POS car, and few people will assume I am a prostitute, crack addict or welfare queen. I get the "benefit of the doubt" that I am just a careless dresser who might be wealthy or not...more info needed.

Wow, that is an advantage. Next time I want to run all over town looking like shit, driving a piece of shit car I get to know that it's OK....... thank GOD for being white!

I'm curious, is the stereotype of Aussie men being neanderthal dimwits that miss treat women and stay drunk on beer all day...... true?

Absolutely. You must have been to Australia! :razz:

Forum List

Back