Whitehouse bans media from talking to cleanup workers

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
Photographers and other media are complaining that the this week's "65 foot buffer" of the beaches has been extended, and that any media one the beaches of Louisiana are now being ordered to leave. Rumors are beginning to float that the damage is far worse than is being reported. We saw that in Alabama, but it has subsided a great bit. I'm hearing it is actually getting worse in Louisiana and parts of Texas.

And why the ban on talking with members of the cleanup crews, even when off duty?

I have a friend who free lances as a photo journalist. He's thinking about going over sometime this week, and if he does, I'm going to go with him. I know Grand Isle and Houma well and have several friends working the cleanup there. We spent 3 months along the AL/MS/LA coast after Katrina filming and helping wherever we could, and several of our friends there are also involved in the cleanups. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

How exactly can the Whitehouse legally block reporters from talking to, well, anyone?

That's what we're going to find out.

And actually, the ban is on the reporters, preventing them from talking to any cleanup workers, whether on duty or not.

Last edited:
as bad as the "presidential" response to this disaster, it is still transcended by the egregiousnes of turning his back on democracy in iran. with respect to the press, it doesn't matter if the bulk of the press talk to the cleanup crew. all but fox and a few others would tilt it to make obama look in control, or even good.

the truth about obama is on the way, you will know it's time when reid and pelosi peel off to save themselves, and hilliary picks her battle with O, so she can run for his job. bill clinton would be a great first dude. better than he was as president.

Last edited:
How exactly can the Whitehouse legally block reporters from talking to, well, anyone?

And actually, the ban is on the reporters, preventing them from talking to any cleanup workers, whether on duty or not.

I suspect this is not 100% truth considering it's illegal.

Do you have anything more substantial then anecdotes?

as bad as the "presidential" response to this disaster, it is still transcended by the egregiousnes of turning his back on democracy in iran. with respect to the press, it doesn't matter if the bulk of the press talk to the cleanup crew. all but fox and a few others would tilt it to make obama look in control, or even good.

the truth about obama is on the way, you will know it's time when reid and pelosi peel off to save themselves, and hilliary picks her battle with O, so she can run for his job. bill clinton would be a great first dude. better than he was as president.

Have you figured out that Bill Clinton was a two term president yet?

I suspect this is not 100% truth considering it's illegal.

Do you have anything more substantial then anecdotes?

Just our correspondence with other journalists there, and the NPPA:

NPPA Asks Obama To Rescind Media Ban, Reduce Safety Zone

So it sounds like the Coast Guard establishing some standoff in the interest of safety is automatically being chalked up to "The President is banning the media from talking to clean up workers!" I think a 65 foot standoff from active clean up efforts is reasonable to keep reporters from gumming up the works and to provide for their safety. The military does similar things.

"NPPA is outraged at reports that the U.S. Coast Guard has created an extremely restrictive 'safety zone' surrounding all Deepwater Horizon booming operations, and at reports that the federal government has banned members of the news media from speaking with clean-up workers," NPPA president Bob Carey wrote to the president.

"The Constitution provides First Amendment protection from governmental abridgment of press access. While that protection is limited by reasonable time, place and manner restrictions - a blanket ban keeping journalists at least 65 feet away from any activity related to the oil spill cleanup is overly broad and may limit more access than is necessary," Carey wrote.

There appears to be no substantial proof that the federal government has actually banned anyone. At this point, it's hearsay at best.

As I said, if the White House actually gave any order infringing on the first amendment rights of the press, it would automatically be taken to federal court and the reporters should (and most likely would) win.

So it sounds like the Coast Guard establishing some standoff in the interest of safety is automatically being chalked up to "The President is banning the media from talking to clean up workers!" I think a 65 foot standoff from active clean up efforts is reasonable to keep reporters from gumming up the works and to provide for their safety. The military does similar things.

"NPPA is outraged at reports that the U.S. Coast Guard has created an extremely restrictive 'safety zone' surrounding all Deepwater Horizon booming operations, and at reports that the federal government has banned members of the news media from speaking with clean-up workers," NPPA president Bob Carey wrote to the president.

"The Constitution provides First Amendment protection from governmental abridgment of press access. While that protection is limited by reasonable time, place and manner restrictions - a blanket ban keeping journalists at least 65 feet away from any activity related to the oil spill cleanup is overly broad and may limit more access than is necessary," Carey wrote.

There appears to be no substantial proof that the federal government has actually banned anyone. At this point, it's hearsay at best.

As I said, if the White House actually gave any order infringing on the first amendment rights of the press, it would automatically be taken to federal court and the reporters should (and most likely would) win.

You would think that, but that isn't what we're hearing. The 65 feet is understandable, to some extent, but not being allowed to talk to crews when off duty is the troubling part. Who knows? We only know what we've been told, so we want to go find out for ourselves.

Sounds like it won't matter what we find out, you and Ravi will still believe whatever you want to.

You would think that, but that isn't what we're hearing. The 65 feet is understandable, to some extent, but not being allowed to talk to crews when off duty is the troubling part. Who knows? We only know what we've been told, so we want to go find out for ourselves.

Sounds like it won't matter what we find out, you and Ravi will still believe whatever you want to.

65 feet is 20 yards. That's two first downs in a football game. Any photographer with a high power lens can still get a shot from that distance.

As for the "not talking to crews", the problem is the group can't list any order from the White House that says that. If they could, it would be a slam dunk legal case.

They cannot. So why is it happening?

I doubt it is, or the reporters should have taken this issue to court and won.

I suspect this is really whining about the CG setting up a safety barrier and then a lot of hearsay that the press can't prove.

65 feet is 20 yards. That's two first downs in a football game. Any photographer with a high power lens can still get a shot from that distance.

As for the "not talking to crews", the problem is the group can't list any order from the White House that says that. If they could, it would be a slam dunk legal case.

All I know is what I'm told. Its happening though....how, or why I can't say yet. We heard Katrina was worse than we were being told, and when we got there, we found out the reports were true. There was a LOT going on that no one ever heard about, and not all of it was good.

When we get back, I'll post about what we find. Don't know yet when we're going, but it won't be tomorrow.

All I know is what I'm told. Its happening though....how, or why I can't say yet. We heard Katrina was worse than we were being told, and when we got there, we found out the reports were true. There was a LOT going on that no one ever heard about, and not all of it was good.

When we get back, I'll post about what we find. Don't know yet when we're going, but it won't be tomorrow.

What you are being told is essentially hearsay. As I pointed out, if there was any actionable legal case on this matter, the reporters would have filed it. You know it too.

Also, as someone who lived in New Orleans during Katrina (I evacuated and came back in January), the conventional wisdom was that Katrina was not as bad as you were being told. There was a ton of irresponsible journalism by the national news media that was so desperate to scoop the other networks that they reported rumors and hearsay that were not factual.

What you are being told is essentially hearsay. As I pointed out, if there was any actionable legal case on this matter, the reporters would have filed it. You know it too.

Also, as someone who lived in New Orleans during Katrina (I evacuated and came back in January), the conventional wisdom was that Katrina was not as bad as you were being told. There was a ton of irresponsible journalism by the national news media that was so desperate to scoop the other networks that they reported rumors and hearsay that were not factual.

The story of Katrina was raped by the media. They focused on New Orleans, which was a powderkeg of welfare recipients and lazy, drunken fools. The storm made landfall in Waveland and Pass Christian, and the damage there was unbelievable. Complete devastation. 3 days later those towns were getting back up and running, while New Orleans stood around with their hands out waiting on someone else to come and clean up the mess. Biloxi took a much harder hit than New Orleans (which save the lower 9th was in very good condition, comparably). We quickly realized that the people of New Orleans were the primary cause of the problems there, so we stayed away for the most part. All of the crime happened in New Orleans. All of the recovery and rebuilding happened outside of New Orleans, because people outside of New Orleans didn't wait around for someone else to do the work for them.

Whatever Geaux. I have friends over there on the beaches being turned away. They're saying it isn't just a "65 foot buffer" issue. We deal with those all the time. They say something is being covered up, something is being hidden. The pictures aren't really what I'm after this time. People are not being allowed to talk to cleanup workers. I'm not getting that from reading the papers, or the NPPA press releases. I'm getting it from phone conversations and texts from people there on the ground. Is it a coverup? Maybe, maybe not. I only know of one way to find out for sure, and I haven't been to Houma or Grand Isle in a while, so off we go.

And don't worry, the closest stop will make to New Orleans is Spahr's, or somewhere further across the Huey P. :)

The story of Katrina was raped by the media. They focused on New Orleans, which was a powderkeg of welfare recipients and lazy, drunken fools. The storm made landfall in Waveland and Pass Christian, and the damage there was unbelievable. Complete devastation. 3 days later those towns were getting back up and running, while New Orleans stood around with their hands out waiting on someone else to come and clean up the mess. Biloxi took a much harder hit than New Orleans (which save the lower 9th was in very good condition, comparably). We quickly realized that the people of New Orleans were the primary cause of the problems there, so we stayed away for the most part. All of the crime happened in New Orleans. All of the recovery and rebuilding happened outside of New Orleans, because people outside of New Orleans didn't wait around for someone else to do the work for them.

Oh please. New Orleans was the focus of the media because it was the epicenter of the human disaster that was Katrina. It's idiotic to make a blanket statement about an entire city. I agree Biloxi got pummeled. Biloxi also didn't flood for two weeks.

You sound like the typical person from Baton Rouge/North Louisiana/South Mississippi that has always viewed NOLA with disdain because your Grandparents voted for Huey Long and told you so.

Whatever Geaux. I have friends over there on the beaches being turned away. They're saying it isn't just a "65 foot buffer" issue. We deal with those all the time. They say something is being covered up, something is being hidden. The pictures aren't really what I'm after this time. People are not being allowed to talk to cleanup workers. I'm not getting that from reading the papers, or the NPPA press releases. I'm getting it from phone conversations and texts from people there on the ground. Is it a coverup? Maybe, maybe not. I only know of one way to find out for sure, and I haven't been to Houma or Grand Isle in a while, so off we go.

Like I said, it's going to require more than anecdotes. The President can't give phantom orders. He has an obligation to make his orders public. So if such an order exists, it would be a relatively easy manner to find. Especially for journalists.

And don't worry, the closest stop will make to New Orleans is Spahr's, or somewhere further across the Huey P. :)

Good. If you hate NOLA, you shouldn't waste your time there. The city will get along fine without you.

Oh please. New Orleans was the focus of the media because it was the epicenter of the human disaster that was Katrina. It's idiotic to make a blanket statement about an entire city. I agree Biloxi got pummeled. Biloxi also didn't flood for two weeks.

You sound like the typical person from Baton Rouge/North Louisiana/South Mississippi that has always viewed NOLA with disdain because your Grandparents voted for Huey Long and told you so.

Like I said, it's going to require more than anecdotes. The President can't give phantom orders. He has an obligation to make his orders public. So if such an order exists, it would be a relatively easy manner to find. Especially for journalists.

Good. If you hate NOLA, you shouldn't waste your time there. The city will get along fine without you.

My opinions about New Orleans are based solely on my personal experiences there. I've never lived in Louisiana or Mississippi, but my opinions about Baton Rouge and Mississippi are based solely on my experiences there as well. The entire area is alike, full of good, hardworking, friendly people.

Until you get to New Orleans. Its the Chicago of the South. A shithole of corruption and crime. There is a valid reason why the city is full of alcoholics and welfare recipients. If I had to live there, I'd just give up too.

In any event, it won't matter what I experience this time. You're obviously going to believe whatever you want to believe, and like most of New Orleans, you're too lazy to go find out for yourself.

You keep reading the papers, we'll keep filling them with the information we ant you to know, okay? God forbid you hop in the car and make the 90 minute drive to find out for yourself.

Have you figured out that Bill Clinton was a two term president yet?

clinton was a one term president once the blue dress came out. he was a lame duck, also he was impeached, imbama will be impeached. bush was a real two term president, the former, not the ladder. exbama will say anything to try to be with the neat kids. won't happen

Last edited:
My opinions about New Orleans are based solely on my personal experiences there. I've never lived in Louisiana or Mississippi, but my opinions about Baton Rouge and Mississippi are based solely on my experiences there as well. The entire area is alike, full of good, hardworking, friendly people.

Until you get to New Orleans. Its the Chicago of the South. A shithole of corruption and crime. There is a valid reason why the city is full of alcoholics and welfare recipients. If I had to live there, I'd just give up too.

Yeah. I lived there for 7 years, to include through Katrina. So I know your statements are bullshit. Like most southern cities, NOLA has a problem with poverty and crime. It's on par with Houston and Atlanta which you guys never seem too concerned about.

In any event, it won't matter what I experience this time. You're obviously going to believe whatever you want to believe, and like most of New Orleans, you're too lazy to go find out for yourself.

I believe what I believe from living there. You believe what you believe from pre-conceived notions. So who is being lazy here?

You keep reading the papers, we'll keep filling them with the information we ant you to know, okay? God forbid you hop in the car and make the 90 minute drive to find out for yourself.

WTF are you talking about?

Forum List

Back