White Woman in a Black Afro: Racist?

Melface

Rookie
Feb 26, 2011
Hi All,

I'm writing to gain insight regarding the racial undertones of a white woman buying and wearing an afro wig.

I am only interested in buying and wearing an afro wig because I think they are cool. The wig would NOT be used as any part of a Halloween costume, or worn with mockery or any sort of humor. I would wear the wig out (probably to a club, or the bar) in solidarity with anti-racism.

While my intentions are "good," is this still exotification of black people? I worry that it is.

Insights welcome, especially from African American women.

People would just think you're a Jewish girl that overdid it on the blowdryer. :lol:

Urban Dictionary: JewFro

But if you're worrying about how you might be perceived, that's going to put a damper on your night. You don't want to second guess what people are thinking every time they look at you, right? Just go out as yourself.

If you want to show solidarity with anti-racism, just don't be a racist. No props required.

That's a mature response, Mad Scientist. I'm talking about racism here, not sexism. Thanks for belittling my sincere request for information!

Thanks, Sheldon--I like the "no props required" idea.

But I still like afros for fashion. Is it an irresponsible decision to purchase the wig for style's sake?

Thanks, Sheldon--I like the "no props required" idea.

But I still like afros for fashion. Is it an irresponsible decision to purchase the wig for style's sake?

Nope. Don't overthink it. If that's your style, it's reason enough.

An afro on a white girl would make me go--lolwut? And if I was drunk I'd probably as if I could wear it for a minute. :D But just do what you feel.

I think that if some Black women want their hair to look like a White woman's hair, then it should be just fine a White woman to want her hair to look like a Black woman's.

However, personally, I would like to see people with hairstyles that look more natural to their own hair. But I am not one to say what they should and should not do. And would not dub anyone 'racist' just because they like a certain 'style' or look a certain way.

Hi All,

I'm writing to gain insight regarding the racial undertones of a white woman buying and wearing an afro wig.

I am only interested in buying and wearing an afro wig because I think they are cool. The wig would NOT be used as any part of a Halloween costume, or worn with mockery or any sort of humor. I would wear the wig out (probably to a club, or the bar) in solidarity with anti-racism.

While my intentions are "good," is this still exotification of black people? I worry that it is.

In solidarity with anti-racism..... how stupid. Don't be a racist. That is solidarity with anti-racism.

Hi All,

In solidarity with anti-racism..... how stupid. Don't be a racist. That is solidarity with anti-racism.

She was only wanting info on the racial undertones of a White woman wearing an Afro wig. I don't see how that makes her racist.

Seems you think that everyone with a question pertaining to 'race' is a racist.

"Racism is not about how you look, it is about how people assign meaning to how you look." Robin D.G. Kelley

If you have to ask, then you are making a lots of assumptions and appear insecure about it and allowable dress codes. Are Black women who straighten their hair or dye it ... there is the curious dilemma when assuming or dressing in a manner that others perceive as imitative of others. What's the point, do what you like, but it would be an interesting social experiment to dress like an Amish women first and see the reaction. Or would you dress as an Amish women and why or why not. Interesting. Noe extrapolate.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-f...fucking-bigots-doing-here-29.html#post3363885

Last edited:
Why would a troll want to wear an afro wig? That would look just strange. :confused:

baby-troll-dade.jpg

Hi All,

She was only wanting info on the racial undertones of a White woman wearing an Afro wig. I don't see how that makes her racist.

Seems you think that everyone with a question pertaining to 'race' is a racist.

I didn't say she/he was a racist. I said the best way to show 'solidarity with anti-racism' (whatever the hell that means) is to not be a racist.

I see no racism in wearing a wig.... personally I think the OP is being more than a tad over sensitive to racism.

Forum List

Back