White Terrorism in America

Whatever You Have Heard About the Destruction of Black Wall Street is Nothing Compared to These Gory Details Of This Little Known Terrorist Attack - Atlanta Blackstar

The story of Tulsa Oklahoma once known as Black WallStreet

Greenwood, Oklahoma, a suburb of Tulsa, was the type of community that African Americans are still, today, attempting to reclaim and rebuild. It was modern, majestic, sophisticated and unapologetically Black. Tragically, it was also the site of one of the bloodiest and most horrendous race riots (and acts of terrorism) that the United States has ever experienced.

Today marks ninety-two years since as many as 300 African Americans lost their lives and more than 9,000 were left homeless when the small town was attacked, looted and literally burned to the ground beginning in 1921. It’s impossible, however, to realize what was lost in Greenwood, which was affectionately known as "Black Wall Street."

The Greenwood community seems almost imagined when we examine it through a historical lens. The oil booms of the early 1900’s had many moving to Tulsa for a shot at quick economic gains and high life, and African Americans hoped to prosper from the new industry as well. Tulsa, like many cities and towns throughout the US, was hostilely segregated, with African Americans settling into the northern region of the city. As we often saw before integration, Blacks in the area created entrepreneurial opportunities for themselves, which housed an impressive business center that included banks, hotels, cafes, clothiers, movie theaters, and contemporary homes. Greenwood residents enjoyed many luxuries that their White neighbors did not, including indoor plumbing and a remarkable school system that superiorly educated Black children.

It was pure envy, and a vow to put progressive, high achieving African Americans in their place that would cause the demise of the Black Mecca many called “Little Africa”, and its destruction began the way much terrorism, violence and dispossession against African Americans did during that era. A young White woman accused a young Black man of attempted sexual assault, which gave local mobs and White men acting as police just cause to invade the unsuspecting community. On the malevolent and horrifying attack, Linda Christenson writes the following:

"The term “race riot” does not adequately describe the events of May 31—June 1, 1921 in Greenwood... In fact, the term itself implies that both blacks and whites might be equally to blame for the lawlessness and violence. The historical record documents a sustained and murderous assault on black lives and property. This assault was met by a brave but unsuccessful armed defense of their community by some black World War I veterans and others.

During the night and day of the riot, deputized whites killed more than 300 African Americans. They looted and burned to the ground 40 square blocks of 1,265 African American homes, including hospitals, schools, and churches, and destroyed 150 businesses. White deputies and members of the National Guard arrested and detained 6,000 black Tulsans who were released only upon being vouched for by a white employer or other white citizen. Nine thousand African Americans were left homeless and lived in tents well into the winter of 1921."

Recently, the mother of a Palestian activist friend of mine asked me why African Americans don’t fight harder for reparations. It was a difficult question to answer, but my most immediate response centered on the historical erasure of communities like Greenwood and the state-sponsored violence against African Americans that created its expiry. Even after slavery was abolished, any advancements towards the American dream, that Blacks paid most dearly to establish, was met with revulsion and terror, often from those whose legal obligation was to serve and protect. For that a debt is surely owed. Further, when we consider the deaths of those Black Tulsans and the inevitable property loss that followed, we again see one example of many that proves how wealth inequities and disparities became a part of the substance of this nation- inequities and disparities that must be considered before we go blaming Black youth for the catastrophes this nation has endorsed.

And as we consider what has become the new face of terror, we should never forget that Greenwood was bombed from the sky by White local and national law enforcement organizations.

Read more at EBONY The Destruction of Black Wall Street - Black History - EBONY
Follow us: @EbonyMag on Twitter | EbonyMag on Facebook

What are ya crying about? They still have all black neighborhoods..of course we call em ghettos now.
And talk about your vibrant business environment. I bet you wont find more entrepreneurs on corners in white neighborhoods. They be doing some serious work.

Another guy upset for no reason

Who's upset? I dont have to live there.

Yeah thats whats confusing. You came in like you have a chip on your shoulder whenever I mention anything from my perspective. Why so sensitive bro? Its almost like you want to explain my perspective for me.

Sensitive? That would get the wife laughing..
And last time I checked thats why boards like this exist.

Boards like this exist for information. Not for people to act like I called your mama a name everytime I bring up the subject of my race, history or experiences.

I mean everytime I say anything you're the first to run in with tears streaming down your cheeks.

Just like this time

Whatever You Have Heard About the Destruction of Black Wall Street is Nothing Compared to These Gory Details Of This Little Known Terrorist Attack - Atlanta Blackstar

Greenwood, Oklahoma, a suburb of Tulsa, was the type of community that African Americans are still, today, attempting to reclaim and rebuild. It was modern, majestic, sophisticated and unapologetically Black. Tragically, it was also the site of one of the bloodiest and most horrendous race riots (and acts of terrorism) that the United States has ever experienced.

Today marks ninety-two years since as many as 300 African Americans lost their lives and more than 9,000 were left homeless when the small town was attacked, looted and literally burned to the ground beginning in 1921. It’s impossible, however, to realize what was lost in Greenwood, which was affectionately known as "Black Wall Street."

The Greenwood community seems almost imagined when we examine it through a historical lens. The oil booms of the early 1900’s had many moving to Tulsa for a shot at quick economic gains and high life, and African Americans hoped to prosper from the new industry as well. Tulsa, like many cities and towns throughout the US, was hostilely segregated, with African Americans settling into the northern region of the city. As we often saw before integration, Blacks in the area created entrepreneurial opportunities for themselves, which housed an impressive business center that included banks, hotels, cafes, clothiers, movie theaters, and contemporary homes. Greenwood residents enjoyed many luxuries that their White neighbors did not, including indoor plumbing and a remarkable school system that superiorly educated Black children.

It was pure envy, and a vow to put progressive, high achieving African Americans in their place that would cause the demise of the Black Mecca many called “Little Africa”, and its destruction began the way much terrorism, violence and dispossession against African Americans did during that era. A young White woman accused a young Black man of attempted sexual assault, which gave local mobs and White men acting as police just cause to invade the unsuspecting community. On the malevolent and horrifying attack, Linda Christenson writes the following:

"The term “race riot” does not adequately describe the events of May 31—June 1, 1921 in Greenwood... In fact, the term itself implies that both blacks and whites might be equally to blame for the lawlessness and violence. The historical record documents a sustained and murderous assault on black lives and property. This assault was met by a brave but unsuccessful armed defense of their community by some black World War I veterans and others.

During the night and day of the riot, deputized whites killed more than 300 African Americans. They looted and burned to the ground 40 square blocks of 1,265 African American homes, including hospitals, schools, and churches, and destroyed 150 businesses. White deputies and members of the National Guard arrested and detained 6,000 black Tulsans who were released only upon being vouched for by a white employer or other white citizen. Nine thousand African Americans were left homeless and lived in tents well into the winter of 1921."

Recently, the mother of a Palestian activist friend of mine asked me why African Americans don’t fight harder for reparations. It was a difficult question to answer, but my most immediate response centered on the historical erasure of communities like Greenwood and the state-sponsored violence against African Americans that created its expiry. Even after slavery was abolished, any advancements towards the American dream, that Blacks paid most dearly to establish, was met with revulsion and terror, often from those whose legal obligation was to serve and protect. For that a debt is surely owed. Further, when we consider the deaths of those Black Tulsans and the inevitable property loss that followed, we again see one example of many that proves how wealth inequities and disparities became a part of the substance of this nation- inequities and disparities that must be considered before we go blaming Black youth for the catastrophes this nation has endorsed.

And as we consider what has become the new face of terror, we should never forget that Greenwood was bombed from the sky by White local and national law enforcement organizations.

What are ya crying about? They still have all black neighborhoods..of course we call em ghettos now.
And talk about your vibrant business environment. I bet you wont find more entrepreneurs on corners in white neighborhoods. They be doing some serious work.

Another guy upset for no reason

Who's upset? I dont have to live there.
Youre upset. You want to live here but you are afraid a Black person would kick your ass everyday.

I want to live in the ghetto?
No thanks,I prefer my no crime all white master planned community with the gates to keep your type out.
Of course you dont want to live in the white master planned ghettos of Poland. I said you want to live here but you would get your ass kicked everyday.

Top 10 white christian terrorists of all time:

Top 10 White Terrorists Of All-Time News One

Note: We seem to forget that the majority of terror attacks in the U.S. since 9-11 have been committed by white Christian men.

You might as well get your info from a KKK site. They are about as objective.
Oh..the sea cocks suck.

Its a fact regardless of where it comes from. Unless facts you deem are unsavory are facts that arent allowed

And yet when one of us righties post a historical fact you don't like you get all bent out of shape. Care to explain why we need to worry about something that happened almost 100 years ago? Perhaps you can link us to something similar that is current?

And yet when one of us righties post a historical fact you don't like you get all bent out of shape. Care to explain why we need to worry about something that happened almost 100 years ago? Perhaps you can link us to something similar that is current?

No I dont and I'm not responding to your fuckery until and unless you can show where I did what you accuse me of. You're game is old bro

Clowns like you are not worth the effort of explaining anything to. Consider any thread with intelligent dialogue off limits to you and you wont have a problem with your sensitivity issue.

Let's talk history shall we? When this atrocity occurred the people doing the murdering were all Democrats. In fact from 1872 to the 1960' the evil white man putting down the black man were all Democrats. Yet when we point that out you and your buddies all claim times have changed..... YET you dredge up this almost 100 year old attack and try to make it somehow relevant today. Guess what TIMES have changed. Unless of course one of you can provide a recent example of something similar?

Let's talk history shall we? When this atrocity occurred the people doing the murdering were all Democrats. In fact from 1872 to the 1960' the evil white man putting down the black man were all Democrats. Yet when we point that out you and your buddies all claim times have changed..... YET you dredge up this almost 100 year old attack and try to make it somehow relevant today. Guess what TIMES have changed. Unless of course one of you can provide a recent example of something similar?

Times have changed everyone! Times have changed! Thanks Retired....next time regale us with your stories about wet water

Also "the people who did the killing were all dems" is speculation. What we do know however is that all the people who did the killing were white people.

I never claimed times have changed. Not in the regard of where the bulk of the racism comes from. I said the conservatives were the people that started the KKK and that ideology still exists today.

Times have changed everyone! Times have changed! Thanks Retired....next time regale us with your stories about wet water

Also "the people who did the killing were all dems" is speculation. What we do know however is that all the people who did the killing were white people.
And is it speculation that for 100 years the dems passed Jim Crow laws? That they created and enforced poll taxes? That they lynch and murdered blacks and certain whites?

And again be specific why is it important now to remember a tragedy from almost 100 years ago committed by white folks? What does it have to do with white folks today? Shall we remember what the black cavalry regiments did to the Indians, is that relevant too?

And is it speculation that for 100 years the dems passed Jim Crow laws? That they created and enforced poll taxes? That they lynch and murdered blacks and certain whites?

And again be specific why is it important now to remember a tragedy from almost 100 years ago committed by white folks? What does it have to do with white folks today? Shall we remember what the black cavalry regiments did to the Indians, is that relevant too?
Its none of your business why its important. If you dont like the thread dont read it.

Another massacre by christian white savages;

Rosewood Massacre (1923)

Rosewood Massacre 1923 The Black Past Remembered and Reclaimed

If the past actions by whites have nothing to do with today then why are you here trying to convince everyone that the past actions by dems have everything to do with dems today?

If the past actions by whites have nothing to do with today then why are you here trying to convince everyone that the past actions by dems have everything to do with dems today?
No the question is to you... If as you claim the changes made so recently by the dems absolves them of 100 years of racism and abuse then why doesn't that apply to whites as well?

No the question is to you... If as you claim the changes made so recently by the dems absolves them of 100 years of racism and abuse then why doesn't that apply to whites as well?

I didnt claim that but again, nice try.

The only change Dems made was to attract the liberals over to their party by default since the conservatives that once voted Dem started voting Republican due to the racist allure of the Southern Strategy..

Forum List

Back