White supremacy and mass incarceration

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Republicans join the Left in calls for American prison reform but ignore the relevance of racism and social justice.

In a 2011 opinion piece in the Washington Post, Newt Gingrich said, “There is an urgent need to address the astronomical growth in the prison population, with its huge costs in dollars and lost human potential…The criminal justice system is broken, and conservatives must lead the way in fixing it.” An advocacy group called Right on Crime is spearheading Republican efforts to “demand more cost effective approaches that enhance public safety.” Signatories to its statement of principles include, in addition to Gingrich, other notable Republicans like Jeb Bush and Grover Norquist. A recent Washington Monthly article celebrated the right’s new focus on crime claiming it would “put the nation on a path to a more rational and humane correctional system.”

But by focusing on achieving “a cost effective middle ground,” Republican reform strategies end up eschewing the relevance of social justice and largely ignoring racial disparities and the disruptive social costs created by mass incarceration.

Justice and white supremacy

The travesty of mass incarceration and its devastating social effects and of the malfeasance of American jurisprudence cannot be measured purely in terms of economic rationality. It is an issue deeply entwined with long histories of racial oppression and white supremacy. True reform will require grappling with this larger problem.

A 1987 Supreme Court case illustrates what I mean when I say that the justice system is saturated with racism. In McCleskey v. Kemp, the Court declined to define the death penalty as racially discriminatory. The case involved the appeal of the death sentence for Warren McCleskey, a Georgia man convicted of armed robbery and the murder of a white policeman. In his appeal McCleskey cited research analysing 2000 Georgia homicides over an eight year period beginning in 1972 that found black defendants were nearly twice as likely to be sentenced to death as white defendants.

The research, described as the “most sophisticated study of the criminal justice system in the 20th century,” also found that the death sentence was applied 4.3 times more often when the murder victim was white. McCleskey’s appeal (based upon the 14th Amendment guarantee of equal protection and the 8th Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment), argued that the death sentence was racially biased. Justice Powell, in the majority opinion, accepted the general validity of the data and the likelihood that race was a factor in death penalty cases, but wrote that in the specific case of Warren McCleskey there was no proof of “the existence of purposeful discrimination.”

In the analysis of Bryan Stevenson, Executive Director of the Equal Justice Initiative (EJI), the Supreme Court’s decision in McCleskey upholds the constitutionality of the Georgia death penalty, even while it validates the data showing clear racial bias. Stevenson summed up the case by arguing that in McCleskey v. Kemp the Supreme Court viewed the problem of racial bias as “too big” to confront.

Indeed, in the majority opinion Justice Powell wrote that “if we accepted McCleskey's claim that racial bias has impermissibly tainted the capital sentencing decision, we could soon be faced with similar claims as to other types of penalty… ince McCleskey's claim relates to the race of his victim, other claims could apply with equally logical force to statistical disparities that correlate with the race or sex of other actors in the criminal justice system, such as defence attorneys or judges.”

In effect, the Court declined to recognise that racism and white supremacy were factors in the administration of justice. “The Court,” Stevenson argued, “said if we recognise disparities based on race in the administration of the death penalty it’s going to be just a matter of time before lawyers begin complaining about race disparities for other kinds of criminal offences…”

McCleskey v. Kemp powerfully reinforced white supremacy in the administration of justice by obscuring a long American history of systematic racial violence and oppression, and normalising racial bias and racial disparities in sentencing. Although the decision was a specific deliberation on racial bias and the death penalty, its logic clearly ramifies throughout the entire criminal justice system.

White supremacy and mass incarceration - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

I don't feel like reading the words of someone else if you can't summarize your own thoughts; however, it is disgusting the rate at which minorities are locked up verses white people. I don't know if it is inherent racism as much as the minorities being in poverty more often and therefore more likely to commit crimes. The first thing we should do is quit putting people in cages for crimes that don't produce a victim. That would even things out quite a bit.

Why do usernames with the word "truth" in them turn out to be the biggest moonbats?

:cuckoo:

Let's be real, this is an "adult conversation" trying to take place in this thread. This isn't one of many regular threads in here that most just throw up to attack people of color. So would you care to share with the rest of us where the "truth" wasn't part of this article?

I can lower myself to your level and "Flame On" just like the next person, but when I bring the conversation level up a few notches, it usually throws peeps like you for a major loop and don't quite know how to respond besides attacking the poster, hoping they take the bait and thus taking the conversation in a completely different direction. Sorry to disappoint you on this one, conversation shall remain over your head.

Your thread title pulled you into the gutter.
Waller there and be happy.

I asked you a legitimate question in your other thread.
Answer that, then we'll move on from there

Sam Pollard might not be a household name outside of film industry circles, however, if you’ve ever watched Style Wars, Juice or When the Levees Broke, you know his work. For the last four decades, Pollard has edited, directed and/or produced some of the most important films about the Black experience. Also known as Spike Lee’s go-to editor—on movies such as Jungle Fever and Bamboozled as well as documentaries like the Oscar-nominated 4 Little Girls—he has now grabbed the reins of his own project.

Pollard’s latest is Slavery By Another Name, an illuminating documentary about the new system of human labor trafficking and involuntary servitude that White Southerners developed to subjugate many African-Americans for years after the abolition of slavery. The film is adapted from a Pulitzer Prize-winning book of the same name by journalist Douglas Blackmon and features narration by Laurence Fishburne. BlackEnterprise.com caught up with Pollard to discuss the film, which premieres tonight, February 13, 2012 at 9pm EST on PBS, and how it opens a door to a largely forgotten episode of American history.

Sam Pollard's Slavery By Another Name Documentary

News Flash!!!!

I don't need you to legitimize myself or the thread I posted, I don't have time for childish games or entertain someone such as yourself who dismissed this based on the title, which happens to be the title of the book and documentary.

And you think I need to justify myself to you? :cuckoo:

News Flash!!!!

I don't need you to legitimize myself or the thread I posted, I don't have time for childish games or entertain someone such as yourself who dismissed this based on the title, which happens to be the title of the book and documentary.

You have made a claim and failed to back it up. You want to be taken seriously? Yet you refuse to answer simple questions? I know where to put you in my list of who to pay attention too.

News Flash!!!!

Then, by all means, continue to copy, paste and plagiarize others and further prove your lack of ability to articulate your own thoughts.

:eusa_hand:

I don't feel like reading the words of someone else if you can't summarize your own thoughts; however, it is disgusting the rate at which minorities are locked up verses white people. I don't know if it is inherent racism as much as the minorities being in poverty more often and therefore more likely to commit crimes. The first thing we should do is quit putting people in cages for crimes that don't produce a victim. That would even things out quite a bit.

There are more minorities in jail because they commit crime at a much higher rate.

It is disgusting. What do you think we should do about it?

I think getting rid of welfare and subsidized housing would be a huge step in the right direction.

My opinion is maybe the Blacks found a way to get three squares a day,an education and some of things they wouldn't have gotten by obeying the law. With so many of them in the slams,thats my reasoning and its no slaqm against these people.

I just love it when your trolls pile on in a thread like flies on a fresh pile of shit. Just as happy as content as can be, eating shit.

For the most part if your felt the article is above your usual level of discussion, so now I'm being forced to answer a question in another thread or a question defending my nick and this adds to the current topic discussion how, exactly?

So the other knuckle draggers pile on telling me that my creditability is in question, because I refuse to play the other knuckle draggers game?

Not interested in playing your game, don't care what your think of me. Personally could give two fucks about what your think of me, when my opinion of yours equals a pile of hot steamy shit.

Wake up and smell the coffee fellows, I don't need your to legitimize ME and speaking of one's creditability on this board, I think your might to rethink the idea that your creditability is above board.

I seen a number of your posts and for the most part, your don't add to a meaningful discussion in no shape or form.

My opinion is maybe the Blacks found a way to get three squares a day,an education and some of things they wouldn't have gotten by obeying the law. With so many of them in the slams,thats my reasoning and its no slaqm against these people.

This coming from someone who is Black and hates himself because he's Black and comes on this board and passes oneself off as being White.

But I remember you from previous boards and their is another one on this board who also knows you longer than I do from previous boards where we battled then.

There are more minorities in jail because they commit crime at a much higher rate.

It is disgusting. What do you think we should do about it?

I think getting rid of welfare and subsidized housing would be a huge step in the right direction.

Yeah I don't care for those things either. I think the best thing we could do is quit locking people in cages for "crimes" with no victim. Like I said earlier....

Pollard’s latest is Slavery By Another Name, an illuminating documentary about the new system of human labor trafficking and involuntary servitude that White Southerners developed to subjugate many African-Americans for years after the abolition of slavery.

You mean democrats used.

I just love it when your trolls pile on in a thread like flies on a fresh pile of shit. Just as happy as content as can be, eating shit.

For the most part if your felt the article is above your usual level of discussion, so now I'm being forced to answer a question in another thread or a question defending my nick and this adds to the current topic discussion how, exactly?

So the other knuckle draggers pile on telling me that my creditability is in question, because I refuse to play the other knuckle draggers game?

Not interested in playing your game, don't care what your think of me. Personally could give two fucks about what your think of me, when my opinion of yours equals a pile of hot steamy shit.

Wake up and smell the coffee fellows, I don't need your to legitimize ME and speaking of one's creditability on this board, I think your might to rethink the idea that your creditability is above board.

I seen a number of your posts and for the most part, your don't add to a meaningful discussion in no shape or form.

Good to see you admit your thread is a pile of shit

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back