White Singers With Black Soul

Would you call her 'a credit to her race'?
I have to admit she is a credit to the white race. In fact she is a credit to the human race.
I think you over praise her. She isnt that great a singer in my humble opinion.
I'm not the only Black person that thinks she is a great singer. The older Black generation says the same thing. She has been invited to sing with some of the greatest Black legends of all time.
Ive been giving this some thought so i could explain to you why you are wrong.
The best I can come up with is that I just dont believe her. She was 17 when she made her first album and I dont think that she had enough life experience to carry it off. Maybe she would fare better today having been through a bit.
You dont believe that she has been invited to sing with Black legends or you dont "feel" her when she sings?
The latter. Ive got her first album and gave it a spin in the car today. Also watched a few vids on youtube as well. Wondered if I was missing something. Im watching her duet with Mavis Staples at the moment. I can see the attraction but its not for me.

I first heard of Joss Stone about 5 years ago. At the time I had no clue she was white. I was stunned to find out she was white. To date she is the only white singer to fool me into thinking she was Black.

Yet another subtle form of white racism.

Some might think white musicians try to emulate black musicians out of respect. I having been a musician for 30 years, know otherwise:

They only do that to one-up those black musicians, thereby proving themselves to be better at it.

It's called "cultural appropriation."

Consider yourself schooled.

Its only cultural appropriation when whites claim they came up with it. These people all give a nod to being influenced by Black people. If youre a musician you must be a failed one. Never heard of you.

There ya go committing a fallacy. Monetary success is in no way the ultimate judgement of how good an artist is. I spent the better part of my life learning to play a guitar like Jimi Hendirx, which I came pretty close to.

But as with many artist's careers, you wake up one day and realize that you're not black, this isn't the 60's and everything has been done already.

That's why the blues craze died out during the 80's: A bunch of white musicians woke up and realized that they weren't old black toothless men living in the 1920's.

Jimi Hendrix changed the way that the guitar sounded as well as how it was played. Lots of imitators, but no duplicators.

The blues never "died out". And never will. You should know that.
I've played since the age of 8, and am now well into my 60's and there are always new up and comers....like this one:

Last edited:
And old timers who are keeping it alive...like this one. If you know anything about the guitar, then you should know about him.

New Topics

Forum List

Back