White Singers With Black Soul

I first heard of Joss Stone about 5 years ago. At the time I had no clue she was white. I was stunned to find out she was white. To date she is the only white singer to fool me into thinking she was Black.

Yet another subtle form of white racism.

Some might think white musicians try to emulate black musicians out of respect. I having been a musician for 30 years, know otherwise:

They only do that to one-up those black musicians, thereby proving themselves to be better at it.

It's called "cultural appropriation."

Consider yourself schooled.

Its only cultural appropriation when whites claim they came up with it. These people all give a nod to being influenced by Black people. If youre a musician you must be a failed one. Never heard of you.

There ya go committing a fallacy. Monetary success is in no way the ultimate judgement of how good an artist is. I spent the better part of my life learning to play a guitar like Jimi Hendirx, which I came pretty close to.

But as with many artist's careers, you wake up one day and realize that you're not black, this isn't the 60's and everything has been done already.

There you go assuming. I didnt say anything about money. I said no one has ever heard of you.

Doesn't matter if they did. I'm on to better and more fulfilling things.

Why does her color matter?
Can you elaborate on what you mean?
No one needs to elaborate on the color. The song is either good or it isn’t.
Its not about the song. Its about the fact that there are some white singers with soul.
Give me a break
Give you a break for what? I said its about the fact that there are some white singers with soul. I'm not here to debate you on this. I'm just letting you know thats a fact.

Its not about the song. Its about the fact that there are some white singers with soul.
Give me a break
Give you a break for what? I said its about the fact that there are some white singers with soul. I'm not here to debate you on this. I'm just letting you know thats a fact.
It’s a silly thing to say.

I first heard of Joss Stone about 5 years ago. At the time I had no clue she was white. I was stunned to find out she was white. To date she is the only white singer to fool me into thinking she was Black.

Some might think white musicians try to emulate black musicians out of respect. I having been a musician for 30 years, know otherwise:

They only do that to one-up those black musicians, thereby proving themselves to be better at it.

Its only cultural appropriation when whites claim they came up with it. These people all give a nod to being influenced by Black people. If youre a musician you must be a failed one. Never heard of you.

There ya go committing a fallacy. Monetary success is in no way the ultimate judgement of how good an artist is. I spent the better part of my life learning to play a guitar like Jimi Hendirx, which I came pretty close to.

But as with many artist's careers, you wake up one day and realize that you're not black, this isn't the 60's and everything has been done already.

There you go assuming. I didnt say anything about money. I said no one has ever heard of you.

Of course it matters and you shouldnt feel the need to convince me of what you are on to. I'm not going to believe you anyway.

Give me a break
Its a silly thing to deny. If you dont like what I said go kick rocks.

So far I have only listed white women. I know there is a white guy that sings a really old song that has soul but I cant remember him or the song. It was done in the 60's I think.

Give me a break
Its a silly thing to deny. If you dont like what I said go kick rocks.
Nope. It’s a silly statement.

Me Asciepias. Me really hung up on race.

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 7.29.53 PM.png

By definition, people who show prejudice (see differences) in people BASED ON THEIR RACE (or skin color) are freeking racists. Even his name is racist (milkweed). There is no such thing as black soul. There is soul music, and blacks seem to have most proffered it, but anyone can sing or play soul music if they have it in their nature and not because of their race or skin color!

Of course it matters and you shouldnt feel the need to convince me of what you are on to. I'm not going to believe you anyway.

Well you can slavishly adore your entertainment heroes all you want to but anyone with half a brain doesn't
Lisa Stansfield had much respect from the Black community.

Of course. What black person wouldn't get a kick out of seeing some white artist dancing around like an organ grinders monkey on a leash?

"Play that funky music white boy", and all that.

Don't be knockin' the Wild Cherry now. :1peleas:

Sorry. But they're just organ-grinder's monkeys on a gilded leash.

Robert Plant at the beginning of "Bring it on home" does a spot on Sonny Boy Williamson

Forum List

Back