White Singers With Black Soul

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Breathing rarified air.
I first heard of Joss Stone about 5 years ago. At the time I had no clue she was white. I was stunned to find out she was white. To date she is the only white singer to fool me into thinking she was Black.

I first heard of Joss Stone about 5 years ago. At the time I had no clue she was white. I was stunned to find out she was white. To date she is the only white singer to fool me into thinking she was Black.

Yet another subtle form of white racism.

Some might think white musicians try to emulate black musicians out of respect. I having been a musician for 30 years, know otherwise:

They only do that to one-up those black musicians, thereby proving themselves to be better at it.

It's called "cultural appropriation."

Consider yourself schooled.

Lisa Stansfield had much respect from the Black community.

Of course. What black person wouldn't get a kick out of seeing some white artist dancing around like an organ grinders monkey on a leash?

"Play that funky music white boy", and all that.[/QUOTE]

Some might think white musicians try to emulate black musicians out of respect. I having been a musician for 30 years, know otherwise:

They only do that to one-up those black musicians, thereby proving themselves to be better at it.

Its only cultural appropriation when whites claim they came up with it. These people all give a nod to being influenced by Black people. If youre a musician you must be a failed one. Never heard of you.

Its only cultural appropriation when whites claim they came up with it. These people all give a nod to being influenced by Black people. If youre a musician you must be a failed one. Never heard of you.

There ya go committing a fallacy. Monetary success is in no way the ultimate judgement of how good an artist is. I spent the better part of my life learning to play a guitar like Jimi Hendirx, which I came pretty close to.

But as with many artist's careers, you wake up one day and realize that you're not black, this isn't the 60's and everything has been done already.

That's why the blues craze died out during the 80's: A bunch of white musicians woke up and realized that they weren't old black toothless men living in the 1920's.

There ya go committing a fallacy. Monetary success is in no way the ultimate judgement of how good an artist is. I spent the better part of my life learning to play a guitar like Jimi Hendirx, which I came pretty close to.

But as with many artist's careers, you wake up one day and realize that you're not black, this isn't the 60's and everything has been done already.

There you go assuming. I didnt say anything about money. I said no one has ever heard of you.

Forum List

Back