White race main carriers of Downs syndrome gene?

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
Is the White race the main carriers of the Down syndrome gene or is it the Asian race.?
There seems to be more caucasian babies born with this genetic defect, than any other race that I have seen.?

Is the White race the main carriers of the Down syndrome gene or is it the Asian race.?
There seems to be more caucasian babies born with this genetic defect, than any other race that I have seen.?

Maybe its because blacks seem to abort BABIES at a higher rate.... just sayin' :eusa_whistle:

I just checked the CDC website, they say Hispanics, have the highest down syndrome births, followed by
whites, blacks had the fewest down syndrome births per year out of the three main racial groups.

while there are different types of Down's the main variety is a genetic accident during early cell division. it isnt a transmissable genetic trait unless Down's people have children. it is associated with older mothers but I dont know the racial rates.

I just checked the CDC website, they say Hispanics, have the highest down syndrome births, followed by
whites, blacks had the fewest down syndrome births per year out of the three main racial groups.

National Association for Down Syndrome

Down syndrome is a genetic condition that causes delays in physical and intellectual development. It occurs in one in every 691 live births. Individuals with Down syndrome have 47 chromosomes instead of the usual 46. It is the most frequently occurring chromosomal disorder. Down syndrome is not related to race, nationality, religion or socioeconomic status. The most important fact to know about individuals with Down syndrome is that they are more like others than they are different.

while there are different types of Down's the main variety is a genetic accident during early cell division. it isnt a transmissable genetic trait unless Down's people have children. it is associated with older mothers but I dont know the racial rates.

Thats what I thought to, I know older mothers can give downs to their children but I don't know if its particular to any race.

Thats what I thought to, I know older mothers can give downs to their children but I don't know if its particular to any race.

Women do not 'give downs' to their children. It is caused by an error in cell division. Also, 80% of DS kids are born to women under 35.

And Down Syndrome babies are still smarter than blacks. :razz:

Women do not 'give downs' to their children. It is caused by an error in cell division. Also, 80% of DS kids are born to women under 35.

My bad, I just remember reading somewhere that older women were more in risk of having a baby with downs if they were pregnant.

My bad, I just remember reading somewhere that older women were more in risk of having a baby with downs if they were pregnant.

You are forgiven. I happen to know quite a lot about Downs, because I am blessed to have two DS kids in my family. They are my cousins... and they are fabulous kids.

I wonder what race takes care of downs syndrome children the most?

This is true-I wont dispute that. However the older the mother is-the more likely the child is to have DS. 80% of people who have it being born to a mother under 35 makes sense-because not many women have children over 35.

Error in cell division is the cause-and having an older mother isn't the cause. BUT there is a correlation with older mothers and the chances of getting DS.

Facts About Down Syndrome

edit: forgot to add the correlation in my post (taken directly from my source):

RELATIONSHIP OF DOWN SYNDROME INCIDENCE TO MOTHERS' AGE

Mothers Age

Incidence of Down Syndrome
Under 30 Less than 1 in 1,000
30 1 in 900
35 1 in 400
36 1 in 300
37 1 in 230
38 1 in 180
39 1 in 135
40 1 in 105
42 1 in 60
44 1 in 35
46 1 in 20
48 1 in 16
49 1 in 12

Source: Hook, E.G., Lindsjo, A. Down Syndrome in Live Births by Single Year Maternal Age.

Last edited:

No

The incidence of Down syndrome is estimated at 1 per 733 births, although it is statistically more common with older parents (both mothers and fathers) due to increased mutagenic exposures upon some older parents' reproductive cells (however, many older parents produce children without the condition). Other factors may also play a role. Down syndrome occurs in all human populations, and analogous effects have been found in other species such as chimpanzees[3] and mice.

Down syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back