White Privilege

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
This is Your Nation on White Privilege By Tim Wise

"White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “fuckin’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their fuckin' ass,” and talk about how you like to “shoot shit” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action."

This is Your Nation on White Privilege | Red Room

[sarcasm] Hey, don't talk to me about White privilege when I can't even say ****** and get away with it! [/sarcasm]

This is Your Nation on White Privilege By Tim Wise

"White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “fuckin’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their fuckin' ass,” and talk about how you like to “shoot shit” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action."

This is Your Nation on White Privilege | Red Room

MY GOD!!!!! :eek: I'M BLACK!!!!

MY GOD!!!!! :eek: I'M BLACK!!!!

There's a hell of lot of the going around.

In point of fact most White people are Black and barely know it.

Some people go though life with a social safety net under them, most of us don't.

Obviously Palin is one of those who does.

Lucky her.

I thought this interesting.

Economist's View: Black and White Unemployment Over Time

Unemployment Some observations:

1. The rate is always higher for blacks than for whites.
2. In most, but not all, cases the gap between whites and blacks is larger than the rate for whites.
3. There does appear to be a long-run decline in the gap since the early 1980s, but recently the decline has been reversed.
4. The gap follows the trend. When unemployment rises, for example, the gap rises indicating that the black unemployment rate rises faster than the white rate during recessions. This will also mean that the black rate will fall faster in recoveries. [Update: graph of black to white ratio: smaller, larger]
5. There is a clear difference in volatility. The series for whites is much smoother than the series for lacks.

A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to continue the same economic policies that are destroying the middle class in America.

2. In most, but not all, cases the gap between whites and blacks is larger than the rate for whites.
3. There does appear to be a long-run decline in the gap since the early 1980s, but recently the decline has been reversed.
4. The gap follows the trend. When unemployment rises, for example, the gap rises indicating that the black unemployment rate rises faster than the white rate during recessions. This will also mean that the black rate will fall faster in recoveries. [Update: graph of black to white ratio: smaller, larger]
5. There is a clear difference in volatility. The series for whites is much smoother than the series for lacks.
If institutional racism of whites against blacks is the problem, then why do Asians do so well here?
Tell us why Asians, females in particular, score higher than whites in the same standardized tests that everyone takes?

If institutional racism of whites against blacks is the problem, then why do Asians do so well here?
Tell us why Asians, females in particular, score higher than whites in the same standardized tests that everyone takes?

That's an interesting question and while education is certainly a part of that, so are numbers and so is geography. But I know a lot of Asians and while this statement won't go over well with some, they tend to stick to themselves and live outside of American society. So I am not sure they constitute a fair comparison with people who are part of America and suffer obvious discrimination. Poverty tends to breed poverty as Appalachian white America shows as well.

they do not see themselves as victims. The look for opportunity and take advantage of it. It's all about a can do attitude.

I thought this interesting.

Economist's View: Black and White Unemployment Over Time

A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to continue the same economic policies that are destroying the middle class in America.
maybe it also has something to do with an unwed mother problem in the 70% range for blacks....

People (usually libs) blather on about white privilege and the difference between whites, blacks, and hispanics. What about Asians and Indians.????? They also are a minority in this country, many are also recent immigrants. Why don't we hear about Asian ghettos, Asian unwed mothers and the income difference?????

Maybe because Asians and whites have the SAME percentage of unwed motherhood (around 27%). We have almost the same income and unemployment.

Unwed motherhood and poverty tend to go hand in hand. Add a little apathy towards education and things just get worse.

Simple. In Asian culture, education is highly valued and is a priority of the family.
Ding ding ding! We have a winnah! :clap2:
maybe it also has something to do with an unwed mother problem in the 70% range for blacks....

People (usually libs) blather on about white privilege and the difference between whites, blacks, and hispanics. What about Asians and Indians.????? They also are a minority in this country, many are also recent immigrants. Why don't we hear about Asian ghettos, Asian unwed mothers and the income difference?????
Maybe because Asians and whites have the SAME percentage of unwed motherhood (around 27%). We have almost the same income and unemployment.
Unwed motherhood and poverty tend to go hand in hand. Add a little apathy towards education and things just get worse.
Correction: We have two winnahs!

Last edited:
It's also probably true to some extent about Central and Latin Americans who emigrate, especially those coming with their families so that the kids can learn to speak English well and get an American education.

It costs money to relocate to the US. The poor can't afford that.

Last edited:
It's also probably true to some extent about Central and Latin Americans who emigrate, especially those coming with their families so that the kids can learn to speak English well and get an American education.

It costs money to relocate to the US. The poor can't afford that.
5,000 poor Mexicans cross the U.S. border every day with no money in their pockets.

I don't even know if your stats are reliable but FYI, not all latinos come from Mexico.

I don't even know if your stats are reliable but FYI, not all latinos come from Mexico.

so true....as example:

floridian latino, are mostly cubans with other south americans...

new york, is mostly puerto ricans....

It's not a fair comparison. Blacks in this country are decendents of slaves and have been struggling with poverty all along. Many of the Asians that are doing well are from families that chose to come here and not always pennyless. If you want a more appropriate comparison between Blacks & Asians, get your ass up to Laotianville and little Cambodia in Lowell MA and then tell me how much better Asians are doing. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back