Debate Now White Privilege and an Institution of Racism

Re racism, check all that you believe to be mostly true:

• 1. Persistent racism makes it necessary for black people to be a protected class.

• 2. Affirmative action and government programs to help black people are necessary to correct past wr

• 3. Politically correct language used by white people is necessary for e well being of black peopl

• 4. Black people are unable to achieve equality without government anti-racism programs.

• 5. Constant focus on racism works to keep racism alive and well.

• 6. Allowing a color blind society is the best way to make racism a non issue.

• 7. The war against racism as an institution has been won and we need to stop fighting it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
"Dress, speak and behave as mainstream Americans"?

What does that mean, exactly? And when you answer, try to sound as racist as possible.

So not only do you think white privilege is a myth, you believe black privilege is real? I think it would behoove you to do some actual research on the topic, read feedback from black Americans in the workplace, or those who deal with police, and get back to me. You seem to be operating from a white power perspective.

Every culture, has cultural norms, that when followed, benefit the person following them, and when rebelled against, harm the person rebelling against them.

This is true in every country, in every culture, in every location on this planet.

I was reading about the trip to mud huts in some place in Africa, and the reporter was asking about life in the village, and the village chief said that anyone who doesn't follow the culture of the village, is forced out. You can't live there. This is true everywhere.

Every culture. Every nation. Every place. If you show up, doing your own thing, marching to your own drum, then you can't be apart of the band.

People today have confused a right to do your own thing, with a right to be accepted no matter what you do. That's not true. You have no right to force other people to accept you. You have the right to accept not being accepted, but that's your own fault.

There was this guy who worked at a bank. He showed up wearing a suit and tie. You don't get a job at the bank, if you don't show up in a suit and tie. At home, he wore a wife beater shirt, and cussed like B rated movie. At work, he dressed like everyone, talked like everyone, and behaved like everyone.

You must conform, or you will not succeed. That's how life works. If you really want to be a slob, and talk like a alley dealer, and act like a hoodlum, then you will either be constantly frustrated by a lack of success.... or you need to find a job as a tattoo artist, or some other slimy profession, where that is accepted.

Again, this is how life works.

At the place I lived before, a group of guys from the University opened a pizza shop. I thought I would try it out, because I generally support small business, and entrepreneurs. I walked into this place, and they were all dressed like slobs. Complete and total slobs. They clearly didn't shower, and their hair was a greasy mess. And when they gave me the box, someone had written f**ker on the top. I told them to keep the pizza, and never came back. It closed under a year.

You want to do things your own way, you can. We have Freedom here, and you can speak broken English, dress like a thug, and act like a stoner. You can do whatever you want.

But you will have a hard time in life. If you are ok with that, fine. But stop complaining about it. Because it's your fault. Only yours. No one elses.

I have a guy renting my room right now, from Bangladesh. He irons his shirts. Wares only button down shirt, with slacks, and a tie to work. He asks me constantly if he is pronouncing the words correctly, as he learns more and more English.

That's why he makes $90,000 a year at age 24. By the way, being an extreme minority, I haven't heard him complain about racism yet, although he's as brown as one gets. Doesn't seem to be complaining about white privilege much. I guess he missed the memo that he wasn't allowed to succeed in life.

This strikes me as a complete red-herring with respect to the issue. Dressing sloppily won't get you a job at a bank? Okay....I agree.

But what's that got to do with the white privilege argument? That's not the concern here. No one's arguing that you should dress like you're going to a Kanye concert and be accepted as if you're Jared Kushner.

I honestly think this post deserves no further reply than that.

Who asked the following:

What does that mean, exactly? And when you answer, try to sound as racist as possible.

So, in your world, your way of 'debating' is to ask a question, and when people answer your question, you claim it's a red herring? Wouldn't that make you the author of the red herring, that by your own admission, no one should bother responding to? :)

Aside from the incompetence of your 'argument' (as if asking questions and declare any logical and intelligent answer to be a red herring, was an argument), the answer directly relates to this discussion.

Certain groups in our society, actively try and integrate into society, and are therefore successful. Such as the Asians, which routinely come here and succeed, with a higher standard of living than white Americans.

Other groups in our society, actively try and be different than society, and rebel against the societal norms. As such these groups tend to live in the lower class.

The truth is, all people who engage in rebelling against societal norms, face consequences. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people at the drive through, with nose rings, tattoos, and black eye shadow. And I live in a middle class area.

Why these people working there, instead of a corporate office, or bank, or some other place? Because they have a nose ring, tattoos, and black eye shadow.

The only difference from these white people rebelling and ending up flipping burgers, and the black guys rebelling and ending up flipping burgers, is that black people can blame "white privilege" for the results of their choices.

Again, the black people that act, work, talk, and dress like the cultural norms are not at the whooper flooper place. They are up in engineering.

In fact, I have a perfect example right now. There's a black guy who is in engineering, and he just got demoted. Why? He smells. He doesn't take showers, and instead sprays himself with smelly crap. The other engineers can't stand working with him, so they sent him down stairs to test broken stuff. Because they can't stand working with him. He stinks.

You can't succeed when you refuse to abide by the cultural norms. Has nothing to do with race, or white privilege.

It is pertinent to re-emphasize from your post, that the guy who was demoted was not demoted because he was black. He was demoted for poor personal hygiene. The same thing would have happened had he been white.

The rules mostly work identically for people of any race:

People born into poor/bad circumstances may have to work harder, but they can and do succeed. People born into much better circumstances can fail badly if they don't do what is necessary for success.

Again a solid prescription for success is:

--Stay in school and educate yourself.

--Stay away from illegal substances and activities.

--Don't have kids before you marry a stable, responsible mate.

--Clean yourself up, practice good English, and dress for success. People with poor hygiene, who dress like hookers or somebody spending the day at the beach or who expose their butts above baggy pants, who look like gang bangers, and/or who cannot speak in the language of business aren't going to be attractive to employers.

--Learn how to be courteous and respectful of others.

--If you can't get the job you want immediately, take whatever entry level job you can get, develop a work ethic, acquire skills and references that will qualify you for promotion and/or better jobs.

Anybody who presents himself/herself as a parent or role model for kids, no matter what the race, should be teaching those principles every step of the way.

And meanwhile, the rest of us should be working on the 'white privilege' angle McWhorter presented and not keep pushing that certain people in society are victims, oppressed, disadvantaged, mistreated until they believe their situation is hopeless or they see violence and misbehavior as the way out for them.

I don't understand why you keep repeating this public service announcement. No one's confused about how to succeed in life. No one doubts that SOME people born poor and disadvantaged succeed, and SOME people born into privilege can fail.

While I'm able to admit to those true (but incredibly boring and inconsequential statements, vis a vis the "debate") you seem chronically unable to admit that, in America, circumstances of birth (including race) give some people a head start, and others a delayed start, or not start at all.

Have I more or less summarized your position: "White privilege doesn't exist"?

Or put another way, do you think the outcome will be the same for two people of equal IQ, and and equal professional proclivities born into very different circumstances?

I was born into serious poverty--my father had essentially abandoned us for most of the time I was very young. My mother paid the black nanny she hired to watch us kids more than she was able to keep for herself working 10-hour days, six days a week. I grew up with hand me downs and clothes my Mom was able to make for us using whatever material was available. My father was back in the picture later on but he was an abusive person--not a happy childhood. By the age of 10, I was working for my own money taking any work I could get.

There was no money for college--my father was making pretty good money by then but he never seemed to have anything left over for the rest of us--so again I took whatever jobs I could get to pay for tuition, room and board.

My husband, also born into serious poverty, and I married young and on the day of our marriage we were collectively $21 overdrawn at the bank and were making monthly payments on our aging car and the modest furniture purchased for our small rent house..

And no, it wasn't easy but we made a very good life for ourselves, worked our way up squarely into the middle class, were able to start and successfully run our own business. Our kids are well educated professionals earning very good six-figure salaries.

Two of my black friends as well as several Hispanic friends in my town that I kept track of all these years both worked their way into professional positions or started their own businesses paying better than my immediate family was able to earn And they did it without affirmative action or any other government help. Their kids almost all are also professionals earning very nice incomes. We all did okay.

I don't know if their IQ was higher than mine.

I didn't ask for your life story, nor do I care.

I see you're either unable, or unwilling to "get it" and engage in serious debate. Fine.

I see you're either unable, or unwilling to "get it" and engage in serious debate. Fine.

I was just explaining to you why I keep repeating the 'public service announcement' since you asked the question of why. That's all. And that is engaging in serious debate as I am more than willing to engage in serious debate with all who are able to do that without being personally insulting, and believe me, I fully get it.

I was just explaining to you why I keep repeating the 'public service announcement' since you asked the question of why. That's all. And that is engaging in serious debate as I am more than willing to engage in serious debate with all who are able to do that without being personally insulting, and believe me, I fully get it.

LMAO, no, you clearly do not.

Well whether I do or don't I am not the subject of the thread. So rebut what I am pretty sure I got if you can. Otherwise I'll wish you a pleasant evening and pleasant posting elsewhere.

FF gets it more than most.

Thanks Kat, but I honestly don't expect everybody to like me or agree with me. I do, however, folks posting here to address the topic and follow the simple thread rules. :)

But sometimes it comes down to this:

society-complaints-complain-department-racism-discrimination-81330510_low.jpg

mankoff.png

2b8115f8f0ec09933c874b20dced4836.jpg

Well whether I do or don't I am not the subject of the thread. So rebut what I am pretty sure I got if you can. Otherwise I'll wish you a pleasant evening and pleasant posting elsewhere.

Here's the portion of my post (the portion that's actually relevant to the topic thread) that you ignored:

While I'm able to admit to those true (but incredibly boring and inconsequential statements, vis a vis the "debate") you seem chronically unable to admit that, in America, circumstances of birth (including race) give some people a head start, and others a delayed start, or not start at all.

Or put another way, do you think the outcome will be the same for two people of equal IQ, and and equal professional proclivities born into very different circumstances?

Is that why she completely ignored very simple questions in my reply that related to the topic and instead trailed off onto a "woe-is-me-my-upbringing-was-hard-but-because-I'm-so-awesome-I-overcame-it" anecdote?

Thanks Kat, but I honestly don't expect everybody to like me or agree with me. I do, however, folks posting here to address the topic and follow the simple thread rules. :)

mankoff.png

It seems pretty clear to me that you started this thread with an agenda, and not an honest interest in diverse, robust debate. You want to dispel the notion that you have any privilege whatsoever due to being white, rather than discuss whether such privilege is prevalent in America.

It seems clear to me that you are not intersted in discussing the topic. My motives, or how serious I may or may not be, is NOT the topic of this thread.

mankoff.png

It seems pretty clear to me that you started this thread with an agenda, and not an honest interest in diverse, robust debate. You want to dispel the notion that you have any privilege whatsoever due to being white, rather than discuss whether such privilege is prevalent in America.

My response to your question re privilege was to provide my own experience that clearly illustrates that people born into less advantageous circumstances can still succeed as well as those who are born into more advantageous circumstances. If you didn't see that, well that's on you.

As for the rest, if you do not like the way I post, that's fine. But I will ask you one last time to please address the thread topic. My motives for the thread or the way I express myself is NOT the topic of this thread.

Here are the rules for the thread again:

THE RULES FOR THIS DISCUSSION:

1. Stay on topic please. The topic is stated in the question to be answered below.

2. No ad hominem re other members or political parties or conservatives or liberals, etc. Focus on the comment posted and not the character or motive of the person posting it. Focus on the stated position of a political party if pertinent to the topic and not on the character or motive of the political party itself.

3. References, reasonable excerpts of, and links to other stated opinions are allowed but will not be required for this discussion. If used, put the basic concept of the linked material into your own words also and explain how it relates to the concept of 'white privilege'.

THE QUESTION TO BE ADDRESSED IN THIS DISCUSSION:

Does a focus on 'white privilege' and racism as McWhorter describes it help or hurt black people? Please explain your 'yes' or 'no' answer or any position you take between 'yes' or 'no
'.

It seems clear to me that you are not intersted in discussing the topic. My motives, or how serious I may or may not be, is NOT the topic of this thread.

mankoff.png

My response to your question re privilege was to provide my own experience that clearly illustrates that people born into less advantageous circumstances can still succeed as well as those who are born into more advantageous circumstances. If you didn't see that, well that's on you.

As for the rest, if you do not like the way I post, that's fine. But I will ask you one last time to please address the thread topic. My motives for the thread or the way I express myself is NOT the topic of this thread.

Here are the rules for the thread again:

THE RULES FOR THIS DISCUSSION:

1. Stay on topic please. The topic is stated in the question to be answered below.

2. No ad hominem re other members or political parties or conservatives or liberals, etc. Focus on the comment posted and not the character or motive of the person posting it. Focus on the stated position of a political party if pertinent to the topic and not on the character or motive of the political party itself.

3. References, reasonable excerpts of, and links to other stated opinions are allowed but will not be required for this discussion. If used, put the basic concept of the linked material into your own words also and explain how it relates to the concept of 'white privilege'.

THE QUESTION TO BE ADDRESSED IN THIS DISCUSSION:

Does a focus on 'white privilege' and racism as McWhorter describes it help or hurt black people? Please explain your 'yes' or 'no' answer or any position you take between 'yes' or 'no
'.

Your response to my question (which I've repeated 3x now, and you've ignored three times now) totally ignored my question. You tell me not to make it about YOU, yet you then give us your life story?

:rofl:

I think it is indeed a myth that a black person who follows the "rules" for prosperity, i.e. educate yourself, don't break the law, get married before having kids, dress, speak, and behave as mainstream Americans do, get whatever job you can to develop skills, references, experience, and make yourself valuable to an employer, will not succeed no matter what the color of his/her skin.

But. . .

As McWhorter said, the coworkers won't think the white guy got his position and promotions via affirmative action, won't treat the white guy with kid gloves to avoid any appearance of discrimination, won't expect the white guy to 'be a credit to his race' or provide the point of view of his race etc. And the white guy won't be accused of 'acting white' or being an 'uncle Tom' or worse by other white people. The white guy can be 'bawled out' without accusations of a hate crime being committed.

That is the 'white privilege' the so-called civil rights leaders perpetuate by demanding that government continue to advantage the black community. And because that is so profitable for the civil rights leaders--both black and white--they in fact disadvantage black people by instilling a victim and entitlement mentality and/or force others to see them as a protected class because they are incapable of making it on merit.

And that in turn creates a separate and distinct 'black culture' that resents any of their members who seem to 'act white' in order to get ahead.

It's a cruel, vicious circle perpetuated by well intended, but misguided do-gooders.

So not only do you think white privilege is a myth, you believe black privilege is real? I think it would behoove you to do some actual research on the topic, read feedback from black Americans in the workplace, or those who deal with police, and get back to me. You seem to be operating from a white power perspective.

Every culture, has cultural norms, that when followed, benefit the person following them, and when rebelled against, harm the person rebelling against them.

This is true in every country, in every culture, in every location on this planet.

I was reading about the trip to mud huts in some place in Africa, and the reporter was asking about life in the village, and the village chief said that anyone who doesn't follow the culture of the village, is forced out. You can't live there. This is true everywhere.

Every culture. Every nation. Every place. If you show up, doing your own thing, marching to your own drum, then you can't be apart of the band.

People today have confused a right to do your own thing, with a right to be accepted no matter what you do. That's not true. You have no right to force other people to accept you. You have the right to accept not being accepted, but that's your own fault.

There was this guy who worked at a bank. He showed up wearing a suit and tie. You don't get a job at the bank, if you don't show up in a suit and tie. At home, he wore a wife beater shirt, and cussed like B rated movie. At work, he dressed like everyone, talked like everyone, and behaved like everyone.

You must conform, or you will not succeed. That's how life works. If you really want to be a slob, and talk like a alley dealer, and act like a hoodlum, then you will either be constantly frustrated by a lack of success.... or you need to find a job as a tattoo artist, or some other slimy profession, where that is accepted.

At the place I lived before, a group of guys from the University opened a pizza shop. I thought I would try it out, because I generally support small business, and entrepreneurs. I walked into this place, and they were all dressed like slobs. Complete and total slobs. They clearly didn't shower, and their hair was a greasy mess. And when they gave me the box, someone had written f**ker on the top. I told them to keep the pizza, and never came back. It closed under a year.

You want to do things your own way, you can. We have Freedom here, and you can speak broken English, dress like a thug, and act like a stoner. You can do whatever you want.

But you will have a hard time in life. If you are ok with that, fine. But stop complaining about it. Because it's your fault. Only yours. No one elses.

I have a guy renting my room right now, from Bangladesh. He irons his shirts. Wares only button down shirt, with slacks, and a tie to work. He asks me constantly if he is pronouncing the words correctly, as he learns more and more English.

That's why he makes $90,000 a year at age 24. By the way, being an extreme minority, I haven't heard him complain about racism yet, although he's as brown as one gets. Doesn't seem to be complaining about white privilege much. I guess he missed the memo that he wasn't allowed to succeed in life.

This strikes me as a complete red-herring with respect to the issue. Dressing sloppily won't get you a job at a bank? Okay....I agree.

But what's that got to do with the white privilege argument? That's not the concern here. No one's arguing that you should dress like you're going to a Kanye concert and be accepted as if you're Jared Kushner.

Who asked the following:

So, in your world, your way of 'debating' is to ask a question, and when people answer your question, you claim it's a red herring? Wouldn't that make you the author of the red herring, that by your own admission, no one should bother responding to? :)

Aside from the incompetence of your 'argument' (as if asking questions and declare any logical and intelligent answer to be a red herring, was an argument), the answer directly relates to this discussion.

Certain groups in our society, actively try and integrate into society, and are therefore successful. Such as the Asians, which routinely come here and succeed, with a higher standard of living than white Americans.

Other groups in our society, actively try and be different than society, and rebel against the societal norms. As such these groups tend to live in the lower class.

The truth is, all people who engage in rebelling against societal norms, face consequences. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people at the drive through, with nose rings, tattoos, and black eye shadow. And I live in a middle class area.

Why these people working there, instead of a corporate office, or bank, or some other place? Because they have a nose ring, tattoos, and black eye shadow.

The only difference from these white people rebelling and ending up flipping burgers, and the black guys rebelling and ending up flipping burgers, is that black people can blame "white privilege" for the results of their choices.

Again, the black people that act, work, talk, and dress like the cultural norms are not at the whooper flooper place. They are up in engineering.

In fact, I have a perfect example right now. There's a black guy who is in engineering, and he just got demoted. Why? He smells. He doesn't take showers, and instead sprays himself with smelly crap. The other engineers can't stand working with him, so they sent him down stairs to test broken stuff. Because they can't stand working with him. He stinks.

You can't succeed when you refuse to abide by the cultural norms. Has nothing to do with race, or white privilege.

Your last sentence just proved why your entire argument was a red-herring. It's not in any way related to race, which is the topic of the debate. And my question regarding "mainstream Americans" was targeted at the IMPLICATION of that question, i.e. black people are not mainstream Americans.

The statement in itself was completely from a white-supremacist view. Which illustrates the existence of "white privilege" in America perfectly. Matter of fact, the entirety of your last 2 posts just explicitly explained why there is, indeed, "white privilege" in America.

Another example is your needless identification of the race of the "black engineer" that was demoted. How many smelly white engineers are sent downstairs? White people don't stink? Sure, we both know they do. But when they do, they're not considered a representative of their race. Only black people are.

Actually what you said, was the very proof of my point. "It's not in any way related to race".

Yeah.... I know. That's my point.

Any white guy that does not blend in with "mainstream Americans" will be just as much at a disadvantage, as any black guy.

The only difference between the poor white guy, and the poor black guy, is the poor black will complain about "white privilege".

Another example is your needless identification of the race of the "black engineer" that was demoted. How many smelly white engineers are sent downstairs? White people don't stink? Sure, we both know they do. But when they do, they're not considered a representative of their race. Only black people are.

The only reason I mentioned the black guy that smelled, was because that was a real situation I'm currently involved in.

But no, of course there are white guys that smell, and they are sent off to.

In fact I know of several in the past, that were Engineers, and screwed up their careers.

In fact, I know a white guy that got a 4-year degree and could not get a job. Because he never worked. Literally, he never worked. Never worked at McDonalds, or anywhere, ever. Not even a part time summer job.

So he would go in for interviews after getting his degree, and they would look at him "So.... you... never worked anywhere?" And then he'd go home and never hear from them. After a year of looking for a job, he went back to the University and asked for job placement, and my company picked him up, but at a really low wage, and doing really low end work. Because he had no experience.

But where was his white privilege? Hey his manager was white. I'm sure most of the recruiters for all the companies that turned him down were white. Where was the white privilege?

See? That's my point. Your claim, is my point. You are right. IT has nothing to do with race. Nothing. A white guy that doesn't blend in culturally, and have the right qualifications, will not be given a pass, simply because they are white.

Who asked the following:

It is pertinent to re-emphasize from your post, that the guy who was demoted was not demoted because he was black. He was demoted for poor personal hygiene. The same thing would have happened had he been white.

The rules mostly work identically for people of any race:

People born into poor/bad circumstances may have to work harder, but they can and do succeed. People born into much better circumstances can fail badly if they don't do what is necessary for success.

Again a solid prescription for success is:

--Stay in school and educate yourself.

--Stay away from illegal substances and activities.

--Don't have kids before you marry a stable, responsible mate.

--Clean yourself up, practice good English, and dress for success. People with poor hygiene, who dress like hookers or somebody spending the day at the beach or who expose their butts above baggy pants, who look like gang bangers, and/or who cannot speak in the language of business aren't going to be attractive to employers.

--Learn how to be courteous and respectful of others.

--If you can't get the job you want immediately, take whatever entry level job you can get, develop a work ethic, acquire skills and references that will qualify you for promotion and/or better jobs.

Anybody who presents himself/herself as a parent or role model for kids, no matter what the race, should be teaching those principles every step of the way.

And meanwhile, the rest of us should be working on the 'white privilege' angle McWhorter presented and not keep pushing that certain people in society are victims, oppressed, disadvantaged, mistreated until they believe their situation is hopeless or they see violence and misbehavior as the way out for them.

I don't understand why you keep repeating this public service announcement. No one's confused about how to succeed in life. No one doubts that SOME people born poor and disadvantaged succeed, and SOME people born into privilege can fail.

Well of course if two completely equal people are born with the exact same abilities, and exact same proclivities, but are place into extremely different circumstances, yeah, the outcomes are likely to be different.

I get that.

What I have a problem with, is that it has anything to do with race.

A black guy born into a healthy intact hard working family with moral values, and work ethic, as well as connections, friends or relatives, will have just as much as an advantage over a white guy born into a broken home with druggy parents, no connections or friends and relatives.

So black privilege? Well of course the white guy isn't going to use that as an excuse to waste away his life. That isn't to say white guys don't waste away their lives. They just have different excuses, because they can't use the race excuse. They use the "little man can't get ahead" excuse, or the deck is stacked, or some other lame excuse.

But the point is, it isn't race that causes it. Race has nothing to do with it.

The people who succeed, are the people who don't sit around and whine about it. They don't sit there, and cry about white privilege, or the little man can't get ahead.

They simply.... move ahead.

60 Minutes did this interview with Denzel Washington, and at one point they ask him about racism in Hollywood. And his response was essentially exactly my point.

He basically said, yeah it's there... but so what? What am I going to do about it? I could be protesting, but then I'd just be protesting. Instead I'm making blockbuster movies, and winning awards.

If Denzel had been sitting around complaining about white privilege, he'd still be sitting around at the end of his life, accomplishing nothing, and complaining about white privilege.

Denzel choose to stop whining, and start working. That's why he's a successful movie star, and not some forgotten guy in a rent controlled apartment, complaining that his life sucks.

I say that because I watched a documentary about a white guy, who lost his job due to a fire, and just stayed in his government subsidized apartment, complaining that his life sucked, and no one was helping him.

Again, where's the white privilege? There is none. The people who go out and make stuff happen, and work hard, will succeed. The people who sit around whining that life sucks, and listing off all their excuses, race, little man, blaw blaw blaw.... they fail.

Denzel was the former. He worked his butt off. That's why he is where he is, and others are not.

Has nothing to do with race, or white privilege.

The liberal MYTH of White Privilege is needed to further the dimocrats control of black Americans. It would be unthinkable to ask for reparations for a race that is not somehow being subjugated because of something. The facts prove BLACK privilege is more likely that the former. Can a black man walk through a white upper class neighborhood without being killed or having some type of serious conflict? Can a white man walk through a black neighborhood of ANY caliber except professionals or higher without any fear of a major conflict? So since any person that will actually admit the truth knows the answer who is privileged? Can a black man working at ATT call a white man a Nazi, or a cracker and not get fired if the white man makes a complaint? Can a white man working at ATT call a black man even NEGRO, and not get fired if the black man makes a complaint? Now WHO Is privileged? Now do you want to talk actual cases of B/W, and W/B crimes? how about the actual length of sentence for EQUALLY violent crimes though there aren't many of those. But just ask Charles Manson I am sure he can tell you if a white person can get a longer sentence than any black man for a similar crime. Just depends on the victims stature.

The liberal MYTH of White Privilege is needed to further the dimocrats control of black Americans. It would be unthinkable to ask for reparations for a race that is not somehow being subjugated because of something. The facts prove BLACK privilege is more likely that the former. Can a black man walk through a white upper class neighborhood without being killed or having some type of serious conflict? Can a white man walk through a black neighborhood of ANY caliber except professionals or higher without any fear of a major conflict? So since any person that will actually admit the truth knows the answer who is privileged? Can a black man working at ATT call a white man a Nazi, or a cracker and not get fired if the white man makes a complaint? Can a white man working at ATT call a black man even NEGRO, and not get fired if the black man makes a complaint? Now WHO Is privileged? Now do you want to talk actual cases of B/W, and W/B crimes? how about the actual length of sentence for EQUALLY violent crimes though there aren't many of those. But just ask Charles Manson I am sure he can tell you if a white person can get a longer sentence than any black man for a similar crime. Just depends on the victims stature.

I appreciate your contribution 12icer. One caution however is please spell DEMOCRAT properly. I would like to keep this civil and on point.

It is true that a black man walking through a neighborhood of rowdy skinhead types would be at risk. As would a white man walking through a neighborhood populated with black gangs and anarchists. In most black neighborhoods and in most white neighborhoods, however, people are safe no matter who they are or what the color of their skin might be. My own neighborhood is a pleasant mix of 'anglos' (as we call them in New Mexico), Hispanics, black people, Jewish people, and one Muslim family. I am pretty sure all of us feel perfectly safe as would anybody of any race, ethnicity, etc. feel safe walking through here. So indeed the culture makes a huge difference.

But as for "White Privilege" two paragraphs of McWhorter's essay in the OP really spoke to me:

To be sure, there is, indeed, a distinct White Privilege. Being white does offer a freedom not easily available to others. You can underperform without it being ascribed to your race. And when you excel, no one wonders whether Affirmative Action had anything to do with it. Authority figures are likely to be your color, and no one associates people of your color with a propensity to violence. No one expects you to represent your race in a class discussion or anywhere else. . . .​

This, as I described earlier, is the cruelty of Affirmative Action as separating out black people as somehow a disadvantaged and underprivileged class of people. My friend who was brilliant, gifted, talented, and competent in her field could never quite shake the stigma that she was the 'Affirmative Action" employee, the 'token black'. The implication was not that she was not qualified for her position, but rather that she didn't have to work for it or earn it like everybody else. And as a black woman, wasn't that wonderful for her? And yes, she was expected to 'represent her race' instead of being allowed to just be herself.

And later in the essay McWhorter comments:

. . .If the idea is that black people cannot solve their problems short of white people developing an exquisite sensitivity to how privileged they are, then we in the black community are being designated as disabled poster children. . .
And to me that is what makes a demand that white people acknowledge their 'White Privilege" so cruel..

Last edited:
It seems as though this "white privilege" ...or even "privilege" without regard to race is confusing people here. I found a cartoon that I think helps. Indulge it, reading from top to bottom. And while reading it, keep in mind that people of color are disproportionately more likely to begin life like Paula, not Richard:

on-a-plate-1-.gif

on-a-plate-2.gif

on-a-plate-3.gif

on-a-plate-4.gif

The cartoon, as usual, is entirely false.

Again, this has nothing do with race.

I've read the biographies of dozens of the countries most wealthy people. Often times, many grow up in poor homes, with no books, and no refrigerators full of food. Many of them both parents worked, and often they didn't even both or some either parent.

Moreover, going to a school isn't a magic spell for success. Schools around the world are far less funded than American schools, with larger class sizes, and do better on educational outcomes.

Plus, private schools are often LESS funded than public schools, and have better outcomes.

The reason good quality schools tend to do better at educating, is because bad students drop out, not because going to that school, magically makes you a good student.

The quality of the parents is a factor. Obviously parents that push their kids to do better, will generally put in more effort, but again that has nothing to do with race. And equally kids who can't do better, don't no matter what the parents do. That's why so many kids in Japan commit suicide. Their parents demand they do better, and they simply can't do better... so they kill themselves.

Further, the claim that parents paying for university is a plus... not true. All the evidence indicates that students who work through university do better, than those who don't. There are actually dozens of research papers, that show this. Here is one.
Working May Help Your GPA | BU Today | Boston University

Equally, as I said before, of course having connections is a benefit. But you can make connections in college to. I have a friend whose parents were completely bonkers. Just nutz. He went to college, and met some guy that got an internship at a major company, and he set my friend up with an internship, because he knew he worked hard, and wasn't nuts.

Read the story of Thomas Sowell, or Clarence Thomas, or even Ronald Reagan, or Sheldon Adelson, Carl Berg, Oprah Winfrey, and on and on and on.

All of these people started off with the disadvantages you list in these stupid cartoons.

Yet they succeed. And there are many who started off with those advantages, who didn't. I myself for example, had all those advantages and didn't succeed.

So again. Nothing to do with race. Nothing.

Forum List

Back