White Noise

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Had an unusual experience seeing this movie.

Picture this, a crowded theatre full of teenyboppers and and cell phones going off constantly.
Teens were talking incesstantly so I could hardly hear the dialog, not to mention the constant laughing which left me confused as this movie was hardly a laugh riot.
The best part was half way through the film, I heard the large girl behind me start to snore very loudly sitting up with a giant soda still in her hand, which of course made all the other kids in the movie laugh even louder, at which point her boyfriend (I guess) said "Tanya wake up your sleeping with your mouth open, again". And of course the laughing in the whole theatre grew louder still.

Aside from that the movie was somewhat dissappointing, the story was cliche', father loses second younger wife in some kind of accident, and becomes obsessed with hearing her speak to him from beyond via EVP's (Electronic Voice Phenomena)........Similar to Mothman Prophecies, and Dragonfly, both of which I thought far surpassed this movie in meaningful dialog and content. It had a few surprises but not enough to leave you riveted. Worth seeing if you just want to be kill a few hours on a rainy night............But don't go on a Saturday night, you'll miss a lot.

Bonnie said:

Picture this, a crowded theatre full of teenyboppers and and cell phones going off constantly.
Teens were talking incestantly so I could hardly hear the dialog, not to mention the constant laughing which left me confused as this movie was hardly a laugh riot.
The best part was half way through the film, I heard the large girl behind me start to snore very loudly sitting up with a giant soda still in her hand, which of course made all the other kids in the movie laugh even louder, at which point her boyfriend (I guess) said "Tanya wake up your sleeping with your mouth open, again". And of course the laughing in the whole theatre grew louder still.

Bonnie...That's one reason I love to wait for the DVD and watch at home...I cut the last part of your post cus I do want to see this movie...Did you ever see the sixth sense? Does this movie compare in anyway? I know that's hard to answer without giving things away... :)

Mr. P said:
Bonnie...That's one reason I love to wait for the DVD and watch at home...I cut the last part of your post cus I do want to see this movie...Did you ever see the sixth sense? Does this movie compare in anyway? I know that's hard to answer without giving things away... :)
yes I have seen Sixth Sense, and White Noise doesn't compare to the depth of that movie. You would probably do best to wait to rent it at home. It wasn't a horrible movie, and actually the premise was good, just not( imho) a very memorable movie.

Bonnie said:

Teens were talking incestantly so I could hardly hear the dialog, not to mention the constant laughing which left me confused as this movie was hardly a laugh riot.

Aside from that the movie was somewhat dissappointing, the story was cliche', father loses second younger wife in some kind of accident, and becomes obsessed with hearing her speak to him from beyond via EVP's (Electronic Voice Phenomena)........Similar to Mothman Prophecies, and Dragonfly, both of which I thought far surpassed this movie in meaningful dialog and content. It had a few surprises but not enough to leave you riveted. Worth seeing if you just want to be kill a few hours on a rainy night............But don't go on a Saturday night, you'll miss a lot.

Sounds kinky. Seriously, the word you're looking for is "incessantly."

Anyway, this looks like a case of "OMG, Art Bell strikes again." Like "The Day After Tomorrow," this movie seems to be based off of one of the many crazy things talked about on the late night/early morning radio show "Coast to Coast AM." When I saw the preview, I thought, "*sigh* Not again." I may see this after it comes out on DVD...maybe.

Oh, and I sympathize with your teenybopper dillemma. It was the same way with me at "The Grudge." About halfway through the movie, I leaned over and actually snatched a phone out of the hand of a girl who was talking obnoxiously loud, told the person on the other end she'd call back, turned the phone off, and told her I'd give it back to her later IF she learned how to be quite. I then quoted "Firefly" to the rest of the theater, "There's a very special layer of Hell reserved for child molestors and people who talk at the theater." The rest of the movie was rather peaceful.

Bonnie said:

you msutbe a very laid back person indeed!

This movie is based on a real phenomena. On the Coast to Coast AM radio show they occassionally have a couple that comes on with reams of tape with just this phenomena. Sometimes it is downright freaky to hear.

I don't have a theory as to what it is. My wife and I will go see the movie though as she is a huge fan of George Noory and Art Bell.

-=d=- said:
I won't watch it...too spooky. Since I saw "The Ring", I've sworn-off creepy movies :(
the ring wasnt creepy, that was suspensful. i can usually figure out a movie within the first 30 minutes, but that one had me

Johnney said:
the ring wasnt creepy, that was suspensful. i can usually figure out a movie within the first 30 minutes, but that one had me

The Sixth Sense was the last one that got me.

no1tovote4 said:
This movie is based on a real phenomena. On the Coast to Coast AM radio show they occassionally have a couple that comes on with reams of tape with just this phenomena. Sometimes it is downright freaky to hear.

I don't have a theory as to what it is. My wife and I will go see the movie though as she is a huge fan of George Noory and Art Bell.

That is true, there have been some very good ones captured, of course like anything else you also have the fakes as well. Art has had this a few times on his weekend show, as well as George Noory. If you check out his website..........Artbell.com or CoasttoCoast.com they may still have some recordings of EVPs

Bonnie said:
That is true, there have been some very good ones captured, of course like anything else you also have the fakes as well. Art has had this a few times on his weekend show, as well as George Noory. If you check out his website..........Artbell.com or CoasttoCoast.com they may still have some recordings of EVPs

The correct website for the show is:

http://coasttocoastam.com

-=d=- said:
I won't watch it...too spooky. Since I saw "The Ring", I've sworn-off creepy movies :(
My son & his wife tho't the same thing. A (girl)friend of their's slept with the light on for 3 months after seeing this. Of course, Katie is a flake. I watched it from the other room. :)

Joz said:
My son & his wife tho't the same thing. A (girl)friend of their's slept with the light on for 3 months after seeing this. Of course, Katie is a flake. I watched it from the other room. :)

Yeah, I slept on my brother's floor with the TV on for a few days after that movie. It was scary, thats for sure.

Forum List

Back