White Male Mass Murderers

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
Statistically speaking, the majority of mass murderers and serial killers in the U.S. are white/male. According to Fox and Levin (2012), the perpetrators of mass murder are more likely to be older, white and male than the perpetrators of other types of homicides.
Hegemonic Masculinity and Mass Murderers in the United States | Christopher A.D. Charles - Academia.edu

Similarly, serial killers are also predominantly white and male:

Table 3.1 displays the demographic characteristics of serial killers based
on the database of 558 offenders operating in the United States since 1900.
Overall, 86% of the killers are male and 82% are white. In terms of age, 41%
began killing in their 20s and another 29% started murdering in their 30s, with
an average of just over 30, an age distribution much older than murderers in
general.
It is quite rare for a teenager or young adult to have acquired an insatiable
taste for murder. It is equally uncommon for such a youthful offender to
have developed the level of skill and cunning needed to carry out a prolonged
career of killing without being caught after one or two murders or attempted
murders.
http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/5396_Fox_Final_Pages_Chapter_3.pdf (page 37)

This study examines the possibility that the traditional of masculinity in the U.S. and a crisis of male identity plays a role in mass murders and serial killings by white males.
Hegemonic Masculinity and Mass Murderers in the United States | Christopher A.D. Charles - Academia.edu

I thought I'd post it and let people read it, and then maybe we could discuss it.

It's an interesting read.

Statistically speaking, the majority of mass murderers and serial killers in the U.S. are white/male. According to Fox and Levin (2012), the perpetrators of mass murder are more likely to be older, white and male than the perpetrators of other types of homicides.

general.
murders.

This study examines the possibility that the traditional of masculinity in the U.S. and a crisis of male identity plays a role in mass murders and serial killings by white males.

I thought I'd post it and let people read it, and then maybe we could discuss it.

Those are statistical facts, which lead me to the question of why are some against profiling, racial or otherwise when it comes to law enforcement?

Put simply, it works.

Now of course if police used profiling to suspect every white man of being a serial killer, well that would be wrong, no different than with every other race. But there is a reason why when the FBI is looking for a serial killer there profile defaults to white male in his 20s unless proven otherwise.

• Banned
Cops always have profiled and always will profile. Profiling based upon an inaccurate stereotype has flawed results, but profiling based upon accurate information is extremely effective and is a tool that law enforcement officers use daily.

Profiling mass murderers is difficult, though, because most of the warning signs aren't clearly seen and understood until after that person commits the atrocity. Further, more than half of all mass murderers, actually plan their own death as part of the incident. And, the mass murder typically doesn't have a long pattern of offending (as it is in the case of other types of offenders, such as gang members, drug criminals, or serial killers). In most cases, the activities of a mass murderer fall short of triggering our warning bells. And, we are limited by the availability of living mass murderers to study by the fact that so many plan to die as part of their rampage.

However, this is an interesting read: Mass Murderers, Unlike Serial Killers, Are Hard to Profile - The Daily Beast

Stone, who wrote The Anatomy of Evil and hosted a series on the Discovery Channel about the psychology of serial killers, points out that many mass murderers kill themselves either in a terrorist attack or shortly after carrying out a shooting spree.

“The precise knowledge of what makes these people tick is harder to come by than in a case of a serial killer who is studied very carefully by psychologists on the defense and prosecution,” Stone said, adding that 96.5 percent of mass murderers are male, and a majority aren’t clinically psychotic. Rather, they suffer from paranoia and often have acute behavioral or personality disorders. In some cases, like that of mass murderer James Huberty, who in 1984 shot dead 21 people and wounded 19 others at a McDonald’s in San Ysidro, California, the perpetrator harbors a severe grudge or murderous feelings toward someone.

Last edited:
Cops always have profiled and always will profile. Profiling based upon an inaccurate stereotype has flawed results, but profiling based upon accurate information is extremely effective and is a tool that law enforcement officers use daily.

Profiling mass murderers is difficult, though, because most of the warning signs aren't clearly seen and understood until after that person commits the atrocity. Further, more than half of all mass murderers, actually plan their own death as part of the incident. And, the mass murder typically doesn't have a long pattern of offending (as it is in the case of other types of offenders, such as gang members, drug criminals, or serial killers). In most cases, the activities of a mass murderer fall short of triggering our warning bells. And, we are limited by the availability of living mass murderers to study by the fact that so many plan to die as part of their rampage.

However, this is an interesting read: Mass Murderers, Unlike Serial Killers, Are Hard to Profile - The Daily Beast

Stone, who wrote The Anatomy of Evil and hosted a series on the Discovery Channel about the psychology of serial killers, points out that many mass murderers kill themselves either in a terrorist attack or shortly after carrying out a shooting spree.

“The precise knowledge of what makes these people tick is harder to come by than in a case of a serial killer who is studied very carefully by psychologists on the defense and prosecution,” Stone said, adding that 96.5 percent of mass murderers are male, and a majority aren’t clinically psychotic. Rather, they suffer from paranoia and often have acute behavioral or personality disorders. In some cases, like that of mass murderer James Huberty, who in 1984 shot dead 21 people and wounded 19 others at a McDonald’s in San Ysidro, California, the perpetrator harbors a severe grudge or murderous feelings toward someone.

You further point out something I said in a thread the other day, when someone - don't remember who - posted that we should enforce the death penalty on these people. Most of them are in fact committing suicide when they commit these crimes, so how would the death penalty deter them?

• Banned
You further point out something I said in a thread the other day, when someone - don't remember who - posted that we should enforce the death penalty on these people. Most of them are in fact committing suicide when they commit these crimes, so how would the death penalty deter them?

The only people deterred from crime by the death penalty are the people it's used on.

I don't have a problem with it, but if the goal of the death penalty is to deter other people from crime, it's a failure. It does, however, succeed in deterring the people it's used on from committing additional crimes.

And, that's worthwhile, in my book.

general.
murders.

I agree. It is an interesting topic. I don't have time to read the entire study above but I have read others in the past that discuss pretty much the same topic.

I have read that whites make up a numerical higher number of serial killers but blacks make up a much higher percentage of serial killers relative to their percentage of the population. So as with many "studies" it has much to do with the methodology of the data gathering as anything.

http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/23884_Page_385.pdf

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=232969

The only people deterred from crime by the death penalty are the people it's used on.

I don't have a problem with it, but if the goal of the death penalty is to deter other people from crime, it's a failure. It does, however, succeed in deterring the people it's used on from committing additional crimes.

And, that's worthwhile, in my book.

My objections to the death penalty are twofold

1. under the current system shit can be drug out so long that it actually ends up being MORE expensive to apply the death penalty than would life in prison.

2. I'm leery about the people who have been wrongfully sentenced to death. Yes it's a small number, but one person being wrongfully put to death would be too many.

For scum who obviously guilty of such heinoud crimes, the death penalty should be applied swiftly. Letting people have their appeals over their guilt is one thing, letting people drag the court along for years over minor legal technicalities is another.

• Banned

general.
murders.

I agree. It is an interesting topic. I don't have time to read the entire study above but I have read others in the past that discuss pretty much the same topic.

I have read that whites make up a numerical higher number of serial killers but blacks make up a much higher percentage of serial killers relative to their percentage of the population. So as with many "studies" it has much to do with the methodology of the data gathering as anything.

Mass murderers are almost exclusively white and male.

Mass murderers are almost exclusively white and male.

Yes but there is a clear data fact that presents:

From my links:

This study documents an over representation of African-American serial killers in the period from 1945 through the first 6 months of 2004 and then examines why so little media coverage has been given to African-American serial killers.

The major source of information on serial killers was the encyclopedias of serial killers written by Newton (1990, 1992, and 2000) and by Wilson and Seaman (1983, 1990), as well as the works of other authors.

Newspaper and Internet sources were used for cases that occurred after 1999. The study identified 90 African-American serial killers and 323 White-American serial killers within the time frame of the study.

African-Americans were represented among serial killers at a rate approximately twice their average percentage in the population (approximately 10.5 percent) across the 58-year time frame.

You can make statistics say anything you want but the most notorious mass school shooting in history happened in Va. Tech and the perp was Korean. The Hussein administration likes to say the Ft. Hood shooting was an example of "workplace violence" but the purp was Mid-Eastern. The largest mass killing in US history was done by Islamic jihadists.

From my links:

This study documents an over representation of African-American serial killers in the period from 1945 through the first 6 months of 2004 and then examines why so little media coverage has been given to African-American serial killers.

mass murderers =/= serial killers.

From my links:

Fair enough.

Statistically speaking, the majority of violent criminals in the U.S. are African American males. So what is your point? Mass murders are so rare that police "profiling" before the fact is nearly useless. To use military terminology, hardened targets may be the best defense.

The issue isn't race. If you read the article, it's an issue of masculinity. Is it too much to ask that people read the article before posting?

From my links:

Yes and no. Mass Murderers generally act within a very short time span. Serial Killers may act over Decades under the Radar and undetected. Big difference there. Mass Murders generally prefer guns or explosives. Serial Killers are all over the map in abduction, torture, and signature killing. Do they share certain traits, surely. Should we be limited by that in profiling and intervention? Wear blinders if you must, it is not advisable though.

From my links:

Yes and no. Mass Murderers generally act within a very short time span. Serial Killers may act over Decades under the Radar and undetected. Big difference there. Mass Murders generally prefer guns or explosives. Serial Killers are all over the map in abduction, torture, and signature killing. Do they share certain traits, surely. Should we be limited by that in profiling and intervention? Wear blinders if you must, it is not advisable though.

Did you at least take the time to read the linked article?

I can't access the link from the computer I am on at this time.

So too simplistic to wonder if this study is concluding that mass murders by males is because they are feeling their dominance threatened in this wild new world?

Why? It is one study that draws a conclusion. Studies are what they are. I personally think mass murderers and serial killers kill for a variety of reasons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Forum List

Back