White House unveils $25 million medical malpractice initiative

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - White House unveils $25 million medical malpractice initiative « - Blogs from CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The Obama administration announced a $25 million medical malpractice initiative Thursday as part of its plan to rein in skyrocketing health care costs.

The program, administered by the Department of Health and Human Services, will fund grants of up to $3 million awarded on a competitive basis to states and health care systems for creating and evaluating "patient safety and medical liability demonstrations," according to a release from the White House.

A review of various malpractice reform initiatives will be completed by December, the White House said, and will be used to evaluate future grant applications.

Thoughts? Opinions? I figure Conservatives will like this. However, I'd love to see such outrage by both sides also taken on the whole "pre-existing condition" issue.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - White House unveils $25 million medical malpractice initiative « - Blogs from CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The Obama administration announced a $25 million medical malpractice initiative Thursday as part of its plan to rein in skyrocketing health care costs.

The program, administered by the Department of Health and Human Services, will fund grants of up to $3 million awarded on a competitive basis to states and health care systems for creating and evaluating "patient safety and medical liability demonstrations," according to a release from the White House.

A review of various malpractice reform initiatives will be completed by December, the White House said, and will be used to evaluate future grant applications.

Thoughts? Opinions? I figure Conservatives will like this. However, I'd love to see such outrage by both sides also taken on the whole "pre-existing condition" issue.

LOL.

You're kidding, right?

This is a PR stunt.

A $25 million dollar federal pilot program dealing with an issue a recent report estimated could be costing the nation up to $200 billion per year?

An authoritative Massachusetts Medical Society study found that five out of six doctors admitted they order tests, procedures and referrals -- amounting to about 25 percent of the total -- solely as protection from lawsuits. Defensive medicine, estimates the libertarian/conservative Pacific Research Institute, wastes more than $200 billion a year. Just half that sum could provide a $5,000 health insurance grant -- $20,000 for a family of four -- to the uninsured poor (U.S. citizens ineligible for other government health assistance).

Charles Krauthammer - A Better Plan for Health-Care Reform - washingtonpost.com

$25 million dollars to deal with an issue costing upwards of $200 billion per year? It is pathetic - even by this White House standards this is an affront to common sense.

This country allocates nearly $300 million per year for housing for people with AIDS - and this administration gives us $25 million for an issue costing $200 billion?

The National Endowment of the Arts receives well over $100 million taxpayer dollars each year - but a proposed $25 million to combate a $200 billion per year issue?

Tort reform is an issue costing America upwards of 800% more than what we spend each year on the entire Department of Energy budget - and Obama allocates $25 million towards it?

No - this gesture by the president is as empty and duplicitous a move as he has made yet.

taxdollars.jpg

An authoritative Massachusetts Medical Society study found that five out of six doctors admitted they order tests, procedures and referrals -- amounting to about 25 percent of the total -- solely as protection from lawsuits. Defensive medicine, estimates the libertarian/conservative Pacific Research Institute, wastes more than $200 billion a year. Just half that sum could provide a $5,000 health insurance grant -- $20,000 for a family of four -- to the uninsured poor (U.S. citizens ineligible for other government health assistance).

I personally ordered $977,000,000 worth of pointless tests last year...not to protect me against lawsuits...but just because I could.

LOL.

You're kidding, right?

This is a PR stunt.

A $25 million dollar federal pilot program dealing with an issue a recent report estimated could be costing the nation up to $200 billion per year?

Charles Krauthammer - A Better Plan for Health-Care Reform - washingtonpost.com

$25 million dollars to deal with an issue costing upwards of $200 billion per year? It is pathetic - even by this White House standards this is an affront to common sense.

This country allocates nearly $300 million per year for housing for people with AIDS - and this administration gives us $25 million for an issue costing $200 billion?

The National Endowment of the Arts receives well over $100 million taxpayer dollars each year - but a proposed $25 million to combate a $200 billion per year issue?

Tort reform is an issue costing America upwards of 800% more than what we spend each year on the entire Department of Energy budget - and Obama allocates $25 million towards it?

No - this gesture by the president is as empty and duplicitous a move as he has made yet.

taxdollars.jpg

They are just attempting to throw a bone at republicans, 380 billion dollars a year is spent because we lack tort reform. the cost of medical mal practice insurance has risen %1400 in the last few years. Physicians pay on average $100,000 per year for this insurance, that cost is passed back onto us the consumer in higher fees for service. In states where there is no tort reform it is estimated that 85% of physicians practice defensive medicine. Now tell me that this does not add to the cost of health care. It does and it is an incredible cost and one that is rising in exponential amounts. No real tort reform No health reform. It's going to be a hard pill for the dems to swallow, the trail lawyer lobbyists contribute millions to their campaigns every election.

Last edited:

I personally ordered $977,000,000 worth of pointless tests last year...not to protect me against lawsuits...but just because I could.

What do you have to say about ambulance chasers being in the back pocket of the party you so strongly support???

I would trust a doctor any day over an attorney.

Last edited:

And I passed em all with flying colors. Is that it Doc ? Is that all you got ???

Forum List

Back