White House takes on Glenn Beck

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
How can the right wing actually take this guy seriously??

The White House - Blog Post - Reality Check: Trying to Turn a Point of Pride into a Moment of Shame

Reality Check: Trying to Turn a Point of Pride into a Moment of Shame
Posted by Jesse Lee

Last night Fox News continued its disregard for the facts in an attempt to smear the Administration's efforts to win the Olympics for the United States. In the past, hosting the Olympics has been a source of pride and unity for the country, but once again Fox News' Glenn Beck program has shown that nothing is worthy of respect if it can be used as part of a partisan attack to boost ratings.

RHETORIC: BECK SAID VANCOUVER LOST $1 BILLION WHEN IT "HAD THE OLYMPICS." Glenn Beck said, "Vancouver lost, how much was it? they lost a billion dollars when they had the Olympics." [Transcript, Glenn Beck Show, 9/29/09]

REALITY: VANCOUVER'S OLYMPICS WILL NOT TAKE PLACE UNTIL 2010. Vancouver will host the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games from February 12 – 28, 2010 and March 12-21, 2010, respectively. [Vancouver2010.com, accessed 9/29/09]

RHETORIC: VALERIE JARRETT "WAS LAST SEEN WITH THE NEA." Beck's guest, FOX News contributor Pat Caddell, said, "[Obama] is going to go [to Copenhagen] with Valerie Jarrett who was last seen with the NEA pumping up their use of, you know, money." [Transcript, Glenn Beck Show, 9/29/09]

REALITY: VALERIE JARRETT WAS NOT ON THE NEA CONFERENCE CALL. Valerie Jarrett was not a participant in the August 10, 2009 United We Serve/NEA conference call.

RHETORIC: CHICAGO IS CLOSING THE GOVERNMENT SEVERAL DAYS A WEEK BECAUSE THEY CANNOT AFFORD TO BE OPEN. Beck's guest Caddell said, "Chicago is closing the government several days a week because they cannot afford to be open. They are going to go and reward -- this is the biggest scandal." [Transcript, Glenn Beck Show, 9/29/09]

REALITY: CHICAGO HAS HAD ONE REDUCED-SERVICE DAY IN 2009, AND WILL HAVE TWO MORE ON THE FRIDAY AFTER THANKSGIVING AND ON CHRISTMAS EVE. On August 17, 2009, CBS Chicago reported, "If you planned to check out a library book, visit a city clinic or have your garbage picked up on Monday, you're out of luck. The City of Chicago is basically closed for business on Aug. 17, a reduced-service day in which most city employees are off without pay. City Hall, public libraries, health clinics and most city offices will be closed. Emergency service providers including police, firefighters and paramedics are working at full strength, but most services not directly related to public safety, including street sweeping, will not be provided. That also includes garbage pickup. Residents who receive regular collection on Mondays should expect trash to be picked up on Tuesday. Some other customers may experience a one-day delay as collectors catch up. As part of the 2009 budget, three reduced-service days were planned for 2009, days which are unpaid for all affected employees -- the Friday after Thanksgiving; Christmas Eve; and New Year's Eve. The City Council recently approved moving the reduced-service day planned for New Year's Eve to Monday. The 2009 budget anticipates saving $8.3 million due to the reduced-service days. In addition to reduced service days, all non-union employees were asked to take a series of furlough days and unpaid holidays, and most non-sworn union employees agreed to similar unpaid time off." [CBS Chicago, 8/17/09]

RHETORIC: VALERIE JARRETT WILL BENEFIT FINANCIALLY. Beck asked, "Is it possible that she is going to benefit if the Olympics come to Chicago?" Caddell responded, "Well, that’s the word. She has certainly had a lot of dealings going on in real estate." [Transcript, Glenn Beck Show, 9/29/09]

REALITY: UPON ENTERING GOVERNMENT, VALERIE JARRETT DIVESTED ALL HER REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT HOLDINGS EXCEPT FOR A SINGLE INVESTMENT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OLYMPIC BID. Valerie Jarrett divested all her investment real estate holdings upon entering government except for a single real estate holding that she was unable to sell. This single real estate investment has been determined by White House Counsel and the independent Office of Government Ethics to present no conflict of interest in performing her duties as a White House advisor. It has nothing to do with the Olympic bid.

--

For even more Fox lies, check out the latest "Truth-O-Meter" feature from Politifact that debunks a false claim about a White House staffer that continues to be repeated by Glenn Beck and others on the network.

Of all the questions Beck has asked the WH to answer, these are the ones they chose? Unbelievable.

You are right..

They still owe him an answer on that birth certificate stuff

More thin-skinned replies to people who they say don't matter, is more telling and damning than anything else they could do.

Why do they dignify the Becks, the Hannitys, the Limbaughs of the world, with replies?

More thin-skinned replies to people who they say don't matter, is more telling and damning than anything else they could do.

Why do they dignify the Becks, the Hannitys, the Limbaughs of the world, with replies?

I agree..

In a perfect world, the masses would look at these guys and laugh them off. However, when you have a significant portion of the population taking what these idiots say as gospel....unfortunately, you have to respond to their moronic rants

I agree..

In a perfect world, the masses would look at these guys and laugh them off. However, when you have a significant portion of the population taking what these idiots say as gospel....unfortunately, you have to respond to their moronic rants
You don't have to respond. But hell, let's say you DO have to: Go on their shows and do it in person! The combination of Obama boycotting FoxNews then whining about what's being said looks childish, infantile, petulant and thin-skinned.

Somebody on Obama's team needs to say, "Hey boss, are we gonna kick their ass or what? Let's do Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly (His appearance on O'Reilly actually got him my vote BTW) and confront them directly instead of issuing mealy-mouthed talking point bullshit."

You don't have to respond. But hell, let's say you DO have to: Go on their shows and do it in person! The combination of Obama boycotting FoxNews then whining about what's being said looks childish, infantile, petulant and thin-skinned.

Somebody on Obama's team needs to say, "Hey boss, are we gonna kick their ass or what? Let's do Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly (His appearance on O'Reilly actually got him my vote BTW) and confront them directly instead of issuing mealy-mouthed talking point bullshit."

Then Fox News would just bitch that Obama is not doing his job and instead coming on Talk Shows. :eusa_eh:

Then Fox News would just bitch that Obama is not doing his job and instead coming on Talk Shows. :eusa_eh:
Their only actual gripe has been, him coming on most every talk show except any of theirs.

And they have a point.

On one hand, Obama apparently doesn't want to give them more credibility and more ratings. On the other, he dignifies them and gives them credibility with mealy-mouthed, written responses. He should do all or neither.

If he can kick Beck's ass, he should go on the show and do so. Beck will give him the full hour I am sure, and more if the President wants it. Same is true for O'Reilly and Hannity, I'd bet.

And he would help himself alot more than anyone imagines.

If you're going to take on critics at all, take them on directly and in their yard, and let the folks decide.

RHETORIC: BECK SAID VANCOUVER LOST $1 BILLION WHEN IT "HAD THE OLYMPICS." Glenn Beck said, "Vancouver lost, how much was it? they lost a billion dollars when they had the Olympics." [Transcript, Glenn Beck Show, 9/29/09]

REALITY: VANCOUVER'S OLYMPICS WILL NOT TAKE PLACE UNTIL 2010. Vancouver will host the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games from February 12 – 28, 2010 and March 12-21, 2010, respectively. [Vancouver2010.com, accessed 9/29/09]

:eek:

HOLY FUCK!!! Whaddanass!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I agree..

I see. So countering blatant lies with the truth is something that is seen as childish, infantile, petulant and thin-skinned.

Unless of course, the most powerful man in the Free world takes the time to sit down on a Fox TV set and address Beck, (which would have to be an on-going thing, as Beck will just keep saying lying shit after Obama is off the set)
-- yeah, he's just a fool for having the Audacity to have someone on his staff to give readers a written, updated, verifiable fact check

Hmm.

emoticon_rolleyes.gif

The man lies like he breathes, but his dedicated followers will still believe him, no matter - cause he tells them things they want to hear.

I agree..

I see. So countering blatant lies with the truth is something that is seen as childish, infantile, petulant and thin-skinned.

Unless of course, the most powerful man in the Free world takes the time to sit down on a Fox TV set and address Beck, (which would have to be an on-going thing, as Beck will just keep saying lying shit after Obama is off the set)
-- yeah, he's just a fool for having the Audacity to have someone on his staff to give readers a written, updated, verifiable fact check

Hmm.

emoticon_rolleyes.gif
He shouldn't even dignify these talkers with any response at all. BUT if he does, it should be direct.

THAT is what I am saying.

The man lies like he breathes, but his dedicated followers will still believe him, no matter - cause he tells them things they want to hear.

Which is yet ANOTHER example of why their should be an IQ test before people are allowed to vote!

Hmm.

emoticon_rolleyes.gif
He shouldn't even dignify these talkers with any response at all. BUT if he does, it should be direct.

THAT is what I am saying.
I'm sorry. I disagree.

I do not think liars should be allowed to run full reign without being confronted. However he chooses to do that is alright with me.

And as I said, the minute he's off the set, if Obama were to do that, Beck et al, would be back to doing the exact same thing the next day. You know it and I know it.

The Olympics in Vancouver haven't happened yet, but his assertion is going to be pretty accurate when it's all said and done.

Here's an article from the Vancouver Sun that lays out some of their costs on the taxpayer.

Olympics bill tops $6 billion so far

Could it be Beck "misspoke" and he actually meant Montreal and not Vancouver? The original estimated cost of the Montreal Games had been $310 million, but labor problems, financial mismanagement, the addition of an extravagant stadium, and other expenses—plus increased security, clearly needed after the events of Munich—drive the price tag past $1.5 billion.

Or is Obama the only one allowed to misspeak?

White House: Obama 'Misspoke' About Claim of AARP Endorsement - Political News - FOXNews.com
Obama Concedes He Misspoke | 44 | washingtonpost.com
Barack Obama Misspoke - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
Campaign Says Obama Misspoke On Nazi Camp - CBS News
The 46: White House: Obama Misspoke on Industry Health Care Savings

Forum List

Back