White House Press Secretary Gibbs says today...

hboats

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2010
Minnesota
White House Press Secretary Gibbs says today that we (this administration) don't believe that Iran has nuclear capabilities.

Great, because you don't believe it makes it so.

If they dont believe Iran has nuclear capability now (and they might not) why are they putting sanctions on the Revolutionary Guards?
I guess all that talk about "sitting down with Iran and talking to them" from the campaign really didn't amount to much, did it?

White House Press Secretary Gibbs says today that we (this administration) don't believe that Iran has nuclear capabilities.

Welcome to the Board,

Typically members want links to prove or indicate the validity of your statements. Not that they actually go to the link and read the articles. They just get all fuzzy with security.

I trust your statement on the other hand. Gibbs is an idiot and makes ridiculous statements on a daily basis. (sorry no link... it's common knowledge)

Let's see now, they have come along way on their missile technology, CHECK

They are perfecting their nuclear enrichment capabilities, CHECK

They pose a threat.. CHECK>> CHECK>>> CHECK

U.S. officials: Iran's nuclear claims are questionable - Haaretz - Israel News

You know who else doesn't believe it?

The American intelligence community. Considering their access and analysis, and that they're the ones the president gets his info on such matters from, that seems like the only appropriate position. The National Intelligence Estimate by 16 U.S. intelligence agencies, including the CIA and the Defense Intelligence Agency, assessed with fair confidence that Iran has no nuclear weapons research program.

They notified the IAEA a year before they were required to by the NPT about their nuclear power plant and it's open to IAEA inspectors. So they haven't broken any laws or agreements related to nuclear development.

When you add that fact to this one:

Iran also agreed to ship most of its current stockpile of enriched uranium to Russia, where it would be refined for exclusively peaceful uses, in what Western diplomats called a significant, but interim, measure to ease concerns over its nuclear program. . . .

Under the tentative uranium deal, Iran would ship what a U.S. official said was "most" of its approximately 3,000 pounds of low-enriched uranium to Russia, where it would be further refined, to 19.75 percent purity. That is much less than the purity needed to fuel a nuclear bomb.

French technicians then would fabricate it into fuel rods and return it to Tehran to power a nuclear research reactor that's used to make isotopes for nuclear medicine.

This one:

Iran has not launched an aggressive war in modern history (unlike the U.S., Iraq, Israel, Germany, Japan, etc), and its leaders have a doctrine of "no first strike." This is true of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, as well as of Revolutionary Guards commanders.

No Iranian leader in the executive has threatened an aggressive act of war on Israel, the U.S., or any other naton, since this would contradict the doctrine of 'no first strike' to which the country has adhered for centuries. The Iranian president has explicitly said that Iran is not a threat to any country, including Israel.

This one:

Iran's military budget is a little over $6 billion annually. Sweden, Singapore and Greece all have
larger military budgets. Moreover, Iran is a country of 70 million, so that its per capita spending on defense is tiny compared to these others, since they are much smaller countries with regard to population. Iran spends less per capita on its military than any other country in the Persian Gulf region with the exception of the United Arab Emirates.

and this one:

The International Atomic Energy Agency has repeatedly inspected the nuclear enrichment facility at Nanatz and found no weapons program. The site at Qom Iran notified them of has not "gone hot," but has been inspected and will repeatedly be inspected by the IAEA under an agreement reached with Iran.

It doesn't make sense to come to any other conclusion. It makes sense to be cautious, but all evidence points clearly to the same position and nearly all of the "evidence" used to suggest otherwise is little more than chest-beating about empty rhetoric and perceived existential threats rather than the facts of the case.

They don't. They are several years away from having those capabilities

Wonder what Gibbs is going to do for a living when he gets thrown under the bus by Owe Bama and crew? The clocks ticking and I'm going out on a limb and predict that he will be history within the next 60 days.

Technically, he is telling the truth.

Enriching uranium to 20% will not yield a fissionable weapon.

He ignored the fact that three years ago, they couldn't do 20% and in three more years, they could possibly be at 80% which WILL make them a nuclear power.

You all are overreacting, all Obama has to do is give another speech in Cairo and this problem disappears....... ;)

Welcome to the Board,

Typically members want links to prove or indicate the validity of your statements. Not that they actually go to the link and read the articles. They just get all fuzzy with security.

I trust your statement on the other hand. Gibbs is an idiot and makes ridiculous statements on a daily basis. (sorry no link... it's common knowledge)

Let's see now, they have come along way on their missile technology, CHECK

They are perfecting their nuclear enrichment capabilities, CHECK

They pose a threat.. CHECK>> CHECK>>> CHECK

Url snipped because it won't let me post a Url

Thank you for the welcome.

Sorry, but I don't have a link to something that I heard on the radio over my lunch break listening to the briefing by the White House Press Secretary.

If you choose not to believe me I'm sure you can find it easy enough. There must be some sites out there that have links to the Press Secretary's briefing that happened today. I'm at work and don't have time right now to find it, but if you find out that I'm wrong about something that I heard with my own two ears (which we both know you won't) I'll retract my original post. Thanks

Are you sure that's what he said?

If they dont believe Iran has nuclear capability now (and they might not) why are they putting sanctions on the Revolutionary Guards?
I guess all that talk about "sitting down with Iran and talking to them" from the campaign really didn't amount to much, did it?

Well Hell. They did put a mouse, a worm and something else in space already.

Wonder if those critters came back alive????

Thats a real breakthrough. Nuclear bomb is next. LOL

You know who else doesn't believe it?

The American intelligence community. Considering their access and analysis, and that they're the ones the president gets his info on such matters from, that seems like the only appropriate position. The National Intelligence Estimate by 16 U.S. intelligence agencies, including the CIA and the Defense Intelligence Agency, assessed with fair confidence that Iran has no nuclear weapons research program.

They notified the IAEA a year before they were required to by the NPT about their nuclear power plant and it's open to IAEA inspectors. So they haven't broken any laws or agreements related to nuclear development.

When you add that fact to this one:

Iran also agreed to ship most of its current stockpile of enriched uranium to Russia, where it would be refined for exclusively peaceful uses, in what Western diplomats called a significant, but interim, measure to ease concerns over its nuclear program. . . .

Under the tentative uranium deal, Iran would ship what a U.S. official said was "most" of its approximately 3,000 pounds of low-enriched uranium to Russia, where it would be further refined, to 19.75 percent purity. That is much less than the purity needed to fuel a nuclear bomb.

French technicians then would fabricate it into fuel rods and return it to Tehran to power a nuclear research reactor that's used to make isotopes for nuclear medicine.

This one:

Iran has not launched an aggressive war in modern history (unlike the U.S., Iraq, Israel, Germany, Japan, etc), and its leaders have a doctrine of "no first strike." This is true of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, as well as of Revolutionary Guards commanders.

No Iranian leader in the executive has threatened an aggressive act of war on Israel, the U.S., or any other naton, since this would contradict the doctrine of 'no first strike' to which the country has adhered for centuries. The Iranian president has explicitly said that Iran is not a threat to any country, including Israel.

This one:

Iran's military budget is a little over $6 billion annually. Sweden, Singapore and Greece all have
larger military budgets. Moreover, Iran is a country of 70 million, so that its per capita spending on defense is tiny compared to these others, since they are much smaller countries with regard to population. Iran spends less per capita on its military than any other country in the Persian Gulf region with the exception of the United Arab Emirates.

and this one:

The International Atomic Energy Agency has repeatedly inspected the nuclear enrichment facility at Nanatz and found no weapons program. The site at Qom Iran notified them of has not "gone hot," but has been inspected and will repeatedly be inspected by the IAEA under an agreement reached with Iran.

It doesn't make sense to come to any other conclusion. It makes sense to be cautious, but all evidence points clearly to the same position and nearly all of the "evidence" used to suggest otherwise is little more than chest-beating about empty rhetoric and perceived existential threats rather than the facts of the case.

I'm impressed Quentin..

Here's a link that just might set you on the path to reality. This includes such highlights as;

Iran-Backed Terrorism, Iran's Nuclear Violations, Iran's Human Rights Violations, What Iran's Leaders are Saying and so much more for your reading pleasure..

Iran Press Kit - The Israel Project

Last edited:
VA Yank is on to something in post #4. Would you suppose that as the White House has pronounced Iran's nuclear capability is immature vis-a-vis weapon production that this indicates some form of weakness or capitulation toward Iran?

Did we learn anything from the Iraq debacle? We committed ourselves, our fortune and the lives of thousands of Americans and our allies on speculation and shoddy intelligence.

Would any of you who think Obama is weak based on this pronouncement think it would be wise to make the same mistake twice?

And invading Iraq, proved what, exactly?

I dunno, how stupid and counter-productive the Bush Administration was?

I don't see what this has to do with Iran and it's nuclear program though, it's very likely that if left unchecked the Iranians will acquire both the know-how and the materials to construct a nuclear weapon and this Administration appears to be taking that threat and it's implications rather cavalierly.

On the other hand it could just be Court Jester Gibbs giving that impression since when he's not out and out lying about something he's distorting it.

Forum List

Back