White House: Hey, We Still Have That Winston Churchill Bust (Or Do We?)

That was one Obama's first diplomatic gestures to the Great Britain upon entering office. Attempting to give back the valuable and meaningful bust of Winston Churchill given to the Bush White House. Obama said, he wanted to put his bust of Abe Lincoln in its place. Like the two couldn't occupy the same room?

That should have first signaled how inept Obama was to hold office, handle foreign affairs and his mindset for the next four years.

Who gives a fuck? Does the queen keep a bust of George Washington on display at her palace? They still think of him as a traitor.

Well, she does keep a porcelain box given to her by George W Bush on her desk.

Was the box a loan? If not, that's not really relevant. Aren't we talking about the return of a LOANED object from a PM to a President no longer in office?

That was one Obama's first diplomatic gestures to the Great Britain upon entering office. Attempting to give back the valuable and meaningful bust of Winston Churchill given to the Bush White House. Obama said, he wanted to put his bust of Abe Lincoln in its place. Like the two couldn't occupy the same room?

That should have first signaled how inept Obama was to hold office, handle foreign affairs and his mindset for the next four years.

Who gives a fuck? Does the queen keep a bust of George Washington on display at her palace? They still think of him as a traitor.

It would be hard to buy a gift for a queen. Bush made a good choice with his gift.

Was the box a loan? If not, that's not really relevant. Aren't we talking about the return of a LOANED object from a PM to a President no longer in office?

No, it was a private gift between friends. The Bushes are very friendly with the Queen. They've been to stay at Buck Palace since he left office... despite the 'fact' that he can't travel outside the US for fear of being arrested - as is claimed continuously by the left wing hacks.

However, the point... Obama offended the Brits with that 'gesture'. But that offense was absolutely fine, according to the left.... however, when Romney 'offended' the Brits, suddenly that was a Biden. The double standards of the left - yet again - on display.

Last edited:
What part of Churchill's cleavage did Obama return - his left or his right bust?

No, it was a private gift between friends. The Bushes are very friendly with the Queen. They've been to stay at Buck Palace since he left office... despite the 'fact' that he can't travel outside the US for fear of being arrested - as is claimed continuously by the left wing hacks.

Interesting, but beside the point. We're talking about the Churchill bust. Wasn't that a loan from Blair to Bush, returned since neither are now in office?

However, the point... Obama offended the Brits with that 'gesture'. But that offense was absolutely fine, according to the left.... however, when Romney 'offended' the Brits, suddenly that was a Biden. The double standards of the left - yet again - on display.

Since when is returning a loaned object, an "offense"? Sounds as twisted as Shariah Law! Forget about the "double standards of the left". I'll bet in the streets of London, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone saying that about Obama.

Sorry, I just realized I left links out of the OP. Here is what Britain thought at the time.

The bronze by Sir Jacob Epstein, worth hundreds of thousands of pounds if it were ever sold on the open market, enjoyed pride of place in the Oval Office during President Bush's tenure.

But when British officials offered to let Mr Obama to hang onto the bust for a further four years, the White House said: "Thanks, but no thanks."

Barack Obama sends bust of Winston Churchill on its way back to Britain - Telegraph

"The new President has decided not to continue this loan and the bust has now been returned. It is on display at the Ambassador's Residence."

Sorry, I just realized I left links out of the OP. Here is what Britain thought at the time.

The bronze by Sir Jacob Epstein, worth hundreds of thousands of pounds if it were ever sold on the open market, enjoyed pride of place in the Oval Office during President Bush's tenure.

But when British officials offered to let Mr Obama to hang onto the bust for a further four years, the White House said: "Thanks, but no thanks."

Barack Obama sends bust of Winston Churchill on its way back to Britain - Telegraph

"The new President has decided not to continue this loan and the bust has now been returned. It is on display at the Ambassador's Residence."

There was nothing in the article about "what Britain thought at the time". It's a hit piece determined to put a bad light on what was routine procedure. BTW, despite being put in quotes, I doubt the WH said, "Thanks, but no thanks". You really have to take what the British tabloid press says with a rather large grain of salt. Remember, this is the culture that brought you hacked cell phones!

The bust Obama returned - the one loaned to the Bush administration - when given back to the British, they said, "Please keep it". Obama said, "Thanks, but no thanks."

THAT is what happened.

Tacky.

The part you left out...

Churchill has less happy connotations for Mr Obama than those American politicians who celebrate his wartime leadership. It was during Churchill's second premiership that Britain suppressed Kenya's Mau Mau rebellion. Among Kenyans allegedly tortured by the colonial regime included one Hussein Onyango Obama, the President's grandfather.

You see, that's kind of part of the problem. We all want to talk about Churchill's great leadership during the war, but the things he did to actually try holding on to Britian's Empire, where he felt Ghandi was as much a threat as Hitler, no, we don't want to talk about that so much.

There was nothing in the article about "what Britain thought at the time". It's a hit piece determined to put a bad light on what was routine procedure. BTW, despite being put in quotes, I doubt the WH said, "Thanks, but no thanks". You really have to take what the British tabloid press says with a rather large grain of salt. Remember, this is the culture that brought you hacked cell phones!

OK, if you want to split hairs, it is what the British Press reported. Why would the British press print a hit piece so early into the administration?

So let us not take what they said, although there were lots of links saying the same. Let's examine just the facts we know.

Was the bust loaned to GWB and put in the Oval office, yes.

Was the bust offered to Obama to keep, to do otherwise would have been a great insult. Yes.

Did Obama decline keeping the Bust, obviously yes.

Did the British take it back, again yes.

Did Romney make a comment about the bust not being in the Oval office? Yes.

Did the Obama administration say that comment was 100 percent not true, yes.

Is it 100 percent untrue? No it is not it is 100 percent true.

Look I don't blame Obama for sending it back. After all I can understand why he would have a beef with Churchill after what happened in Obama's homeland. (homeland Michelle's words not mine). After claiming for 17 years to be born in Kenya maybe Obama started to believe it, as he did the falsehood of the torture of his father.

The part you left out...

Churchill has less happy connotations for Mr Obama than those American politicians who celebrate his wartime leadership. It was during Churchill's second premiership that Britain suppressed Kenya's Mau Mau rebellion. Among Kenyans allegedly tortured by the colonial regime included one Hussein Onyango Obama, the President's grandfather.

You see, that's kind of part of the problem. We all want to talk about Churchill's great leadership during the war, but the things he did to actually try holding on to Britian's Empire, where he felt Ghandi was as much a threat as Hitler, no, we don't want to talk about that so much.

So, it goes back to Obama's roots? The place of his birth? We know he care a rat's ass about family.

The part you left out...

So, it goes back to Obama's roots? The place of his birth? We know he care a rat's ass about family.

OR that he has a perspective that Colonialism and Imperialism were generally bad for the world.

Forum List

Back