White Flight, the taboo subject.

Blacks and Hispanics are turning the "Suburbs" into the same shitholes as they did in the cities.
You can blame "Rural Slums" on 2 things. Public transportation and Subsidized Housing. Eliminate those two things, and you save your community from becoming a Country Ghetto.

Blacks have been by far a burden to America, then any benefit

Really? Ever heard of George Washington Carver? How's about Colin Powell?

And........don't forget........15 percent of our military is black.

How is that not being productive?

And........don't forget........15 percent of our military is black.

How is that not being productive?
There are more blacks in prison

Your original statement said that they were a burden more than a benefit.

Defending this country counts as a benefit. George Washington Carver figured out about crop rotation which is VERY beneficial to farmers, and Colin Powell won a war for us.

Which one of those is a detriment?

Whites, Blacks Asians, Hispanics, I just look at the societies and countries that each race has created and I realize that the way different races behave in their own countries is the way they will behave everywhere.

I bet you think that America becoming a majority Hispanic country won't change America.

It does, Marc, but these days, it seems to be far more about class than about color, and that means it's seen quite differently. We have a disproportionate number of Blacks and other minorities still trapped in poverty, and while it's true that poverty does not equal crime,it does correlate with it, enough so that the perception is that with one, comes the other. There's rarely a problem for the Black executive or professional who moves into an upper class or upper-middle class neighborhood; the problem occurs, one might say, closer to the margins; let Blacks move into a working class, or even middle class, area, and white flight soon follows, driven by fear of crime, and fear of declining property values (which often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There is a lot of truth to this post. I live in the south, I would say that racism is virtually non-existent in the white collar realm. Blacks/whites/Latinos live and work in my community in relative harmony in the middle/upper class. But, the poor whites in my community (who suffer every bit as much economic deprivation as poor blacks) are considerably more racist.

With some reason...my boyfriend owns a fixer-upper in a predominantly black working class area. Most of his neighbors are hard-working decent people who keep their homes up and are good neighbors. But, housing prices are cheap, and there are alot of transitory and predatory people who rent homes in the area and then proceed to victimize and steal from their neighbors. His home has been burglarized twice, to the point that he had to secure his windows and put in a security system.

Is everyone in that neighborhood a criminal? Hell no. Most are really decent good people. But there are a few who ruin things for everyone. I don't know the race of the people who broke into my guy's house, but given the hue of the neighborhood, I'd suspect black. There are similar problems in the poor white areas. Of course, in the racially mixed areas, each race blames the other ones for their problem.

I don't really have a problem with people moving up and out of an urban neighborhood that is crime-ridden and has bad schools. The school issue is particularly compelling, because we all know that education is so economically significant. The issue is for the urban community to be more directed by the needs of the residents than driven by the desires of local unions (teachers, police, civil service workers), but more often than not, the residents suffer the whims of the teacher's union and the police union. Who would want to put up with that crap? In many cases, the political leadership of places like Detroit, Cleveland, DC...has a huge responsibility for failing to deliver on quality of life issues (broken windows theory) for residents. Anyone who has the means to leave, when they've gotten tired of putting up with bullshit, will do so.

Get out once in a while...

...and do a little reading.

1. “But major metro areas are casting a declining share of the nation's votes, while fast-growing counties beyond metro-edge cities, with family-size subdivisions and megachurches, are heavily Republican… Democrats have made their greatest gains in the nation's very largest metropolitan areas. At the same time, Republicans have been gaining in rural areas and the fast-growing metropolitan fringe.” Michael Barone, http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/001106/6pol.htm

2. These areas, with “with family-size subdivisions and megachurches,” termed ‘Sprinkler Cities” by David Brooks, are experiencing astounding growth, due to Americans looking to escape high taxes, bad schools, and still-high-priced homes.

a. “Sprinkler Cities are the fast-growing suburbs mostly in the South and West that are the homes of the new style American Dream, the epicenters of Patio Man fantasies. Douglas County, Colorado, which is the fastest-growing county in America and is located between Denver and Colorado Springs, is a Sprinkler City…. Sprinkler Cities are also generally the most Republican areas of the country. In some of the Sprinkler City congressional districts, Republicans have a 2 or 3 or 4 to 1 registration advantage over Democrats... In fact, the rising prominence of these places heralds a new style of suburb vs. suburb politics, with the explosively growing Republican outer suburbs vying with the slower-growing and increasingly Democratic inner suburbs for control of the center of American political gravity.” Patio Man and the Sprawl People | The Weekly Standard

b. Already, suburbanites make up about half of the country's population (while city people make up 28 percent and rural folk make up the rest), and America gets more suburban every year. According to the census data, the suburbs of America's 100 largest metro areas grew twice as fast as their central cities in the 1990s, and that was a decade in which many cities actually reversed their long population slides…. The majority of Asian Americans, half of Hispanics, and 40 percent of American blacks live in suburbia. Ibid.

While the election of ’08 saw votes from every geographic and demographic for Barak Obama, and explanations for this multiply daily, the ’10 mid-terms may indicate that this was an aberration, outside of the trends suggested above.
The next election may tell the growth outside of cities is a hint of dominance for the Republicans, or continuance of a divided polity.Ibid.

This 'racism' thing is a sickness you should try to get over.
Read this again, in the context of the post:
"The majority of Asian Americans, half of Hispanics, and 40 percent of American blacks live in suburbia."

Grow up.
Wise up.

10_9_136v1.gif

Republican -vs- Democrat: The Final Frontier in Racism

Joey...I hope you don't buy the equvalence argument, almost as bad as the 'Republicans are racists' argument.

History tells quite a different story.

Just give me an "lol" and forget trying to understand me, Political Chickie. I truly am THAT warped.

Chicken and egg question really.

Do whites leave a neighborhood because blacks and other minorities move in, or do they move out allowing blacks and minorities to move in.

From my personal experience of living in a 93% white community, then living in a 40% white community, It seems a case of what you will tolerate as a quality of life. The filth, crime and general insanity of behavior in many poor minority neighborhoods is not tolerated by anyone upwardly mobile regardless of race, unless they are comfortable with living in a garbage strewn, cantankerous, violent and overly dramatic community. If you can't feel safe on your own property, or running daily errands, you leave to find a safer place.

This is common sense, but as you know, common sense is neither to most people.

I know I'm leaving my minority "majority" neighborhood because I'm sick of assaults, screaming matches, loud music, domestic violence and gang activity. I don't give a fuck what color that comes in. I go to the zoo to visit. I don't want to LIVE in a zoo.

Chasing green, not running from brown.... and not just whites, all colors are striving for upward mobility out of the zoo.

If whites don't want to live in an unfavorable neighborhood, why is it a problem that they move? This pertains to anyone of any race? And whose business is it but their own?

It becomes an exercise in game theory and often a self fulfilling prophesy.

If you are among the whites involved in white flight, you want to sell high and get out early. Just like investors dumping ahead of market selloff. The last to get out suffer the greatest losses.

It becomes an exercise in game theory and often a self fulfilling prophesy.

If you are among the whites involved in white flight, you want to sell high and get out early. Just like investors dumping ahead of market selloff. The last to get out suffer the greatest losses.

So........white flight is caused by other whites? Sounds like white on white racism.

So........white flight is caused by other whites? Sounds like white on white racism.

It's more like the way the stock market works. If a few people start selling, people start wondering what's up, and then suddenly, it's like dominoes toppling, and everyone is selling. The person who sells last loses. It's more a matter of perception than anything. And, I would say that it isn't a purely white thing. It's an economic thing, primarily.

It's more like the way the stock market works. If a few people start selling, people start wondering what's up, and then suddenly, it's like dominoes toppling, and everyone is selling. The person who sells last loses. It's more a matter of perception than anything. And, I would say that it isn't a purely white thing. It's an economic thing, primarily.

Yes, quite often Asians high tail it outta there too.

Forum List

Back