White felon or black man: who gets the job?

thread_backfire.gif

Last edited:
the only thing i get from this is that republicans will now start looking to nominate someone like ollie north.

you know... a white criminal.

What's not mentioned is the relative abilities of the interviewee's. Some people interview much better then others. Just because you make up a resume if the applicant interviews poorly they won't get a callback.

That was where I thought I would go as well until I read the first part of the article. The way I read this is that they used different people with different scenarios throughout the experiment. Some of the white people confessed to a record some did not. Some of the black people confessed to a record some did not. According to the article white men with records were more likely to get called back than black men without records.

Team members also alternated presenting information about a fictitious criminal record (a drug felony), which they “fessed up to” on the application form. During nearly a year of fieldwork, teams of testers audited hundreds of employers, applying for a wide range of entry level jobs such as waiters, sales assistants, laborers, warehouse workers, couriers, and customer service representatives.

The results of these studies were startling. Among those with no criminal record, white applicants were more than twice as likely to receive a callback relative to equally qualified black applicants. Even more troubling, whites with a felony conviction fared just as well, if not better, than a black applicant with a clean background.

Now, if this were simply the lack of interviewing skills, I would not think that you would get that kind of persistent results. It would seem that some whites were not as good at interviewing as some blacks and vice versa. But this was a mixed bag of interviewees. It doesn't seem that the issue here would have been one's ability to interview.

And then, with this piece of information, that even makes things seem more biased.

The young black men posing as job applicants in this study were bright college kids, models of discipline and hard work; and yet, even in this best case scenario, these applicants were routinely overlooked simply on the basis of the color of their skin. The results of this study suggest that black men must work at least twice as hard as equally qualified whites simply to overcome the stigma of their skin color.

Does this study show a pattern of racism? Without seeing all the details of the study and going off only what the report states, I would say yes. But, that only leads to the question of how to best fight it. Is Affirmative Action still the way to go? Not in my opinion as you cannot fight discrimination by using discrimination.

But, don't look at me, I don't have any answers.

Immie

The real reason slavery ended, because blacks were bad employees

Forum List

Back