White Americans’ Hold on Wealth Is Old, Deep, and Nearly Unshakeable

While it is true that "wealth" tends to perpetuate itself down through generations, that is no reason to excuse working class and poor people for continuing in poverty through generations, particularly in this country. The economy is NOT a "Zero-sum Game." If one person is wealthy that doesn't hinder anyone else from becoming wealthy.

There are millions of examples all around us of people who were born into modest circumstances, but either through entrepreneurship or education were able to attain remarkable wealth and position. Indeed, it is fair to say that nothing is holding "you" back. Conspicuously, for "Black" people, the opportunities are limitless, with or without "Affirmative Action," and "Diversity" bullshit.

Consider the model of immigrants over the past 75 years. MANY immigrant groups have a wonderful history of coming here "dirt poor," working their figurative asses off, getting their kids educated, and by the second generation their income and wealth is well above average compared to people whose roots are in this country. These are Koreans, Cubans, Vietnamese, Chinese, Italians (post WWII), and other less prominent groups. The record of legal immigrants from Mexico is more "spotty," but examples of prosperity are many.

Liberals believe that "Poverty breeds bad behavior"; Conservatives believe that "Bad behavior breeds poverty." If you are having children out of wedlock, dropping out of school, abusing alcohol and drugs, failing to work jobs that are available, failing to take advantage of free public education and programs that are available, etc., then you have no one to blame for your poverty but yourself.

And I fail to see the benefit of Black people pointing out and highlighting other people who have it easy. So what? How does that affect you? What is standing in your way? Only your own defeatism.
This advantage was by design, that's the salient point here, particularly since so many white racist claim that the symptoms of institutional racism are self-inflicted or non-existent.

If it was legislated, how is this not an example of white priviledge?

And why do you assume that because this topic interests me that means somehow I'm a failure in life? It's more a sore point for poor white racists than it is for average black Americans.

""This advantage was by design, that's the salient point" <<<< so far we got stats
on WHO IS RICHER-----and fervent claims of "advantage" as the explanation for
who is richer. -----but no actual mechanism. There is a claim that credit (loans)
are easier for "whites". and an implied claim that whites who served in the military
get benefits (like the GI bill for education and VA home loans) but blacks do not and
"someone or group" DESIGNED this disparity. I have a need to know------who actually decided that a person who served in the military who is white gets the
advantage of a VA HOME LOAN-----but a black person does not? Its the origin of
THE DESIGN that I cannot fathom.

These things newsvine presents are facts. Go do some research and you will get your question answered since you have been told how things have happened over and over but refuse to accept what you've been shown.

IM2------do you suggest that in the next version of the DSM-----the use of the
word "CRACKER" to designate a "white person"-----be considered a sign of
a mental disorder?

No. Because that word is a reaction to the mental disorder of white racism.

oh I get it---"whites" act and blacks REACT

While it is true that "wealth" tends to perpetuate itself down through generations, that is no reason to excuse working class and poor people for continuing in poverty through generations, particularly in this country. The economy is NOT a "Zero-sum Game." If one person is wealthy that doesn't hinder anyone else from becoming wealthy.

There are millions of examples all around us of people who were born into modest circumstances, but either through entrepreneurship or education were able to attain remarkable wealth and position. Indeed, it is fair to say that nothing is holding "you" back. Conspicuously, for "Black" people, the opportunities are limitless, with or without "Affirmative Action," and "Diversity" bullshit.

Consider the model of immigrants over the past 75 years. MANY immigrant groups have a wonderful history of coming here "dirt poor," working their figurative asses off, getting their kids educated, and by the second generation their income and wealth is well above average compared to people whose roots are in this country. These are Koreans, Cubans, Vietnamese, Chinese, Italians (post WWII), and other less prominent groups. The record of legal immigrants from Mexico is more "spotty," but examples of prosperity are many.

Liberals believe that "Poverty breeds bad behavior"; Conservatives believe that "Bad behavior breeds poverty." If you are having children out of wedlock, dropping out of school, abusing alcohol and drugs, failing to work jobs that are available, failing to take advantage of free public education and programs that are available, etc., then you have no one to blame for your poverty but yourself.

And I fail to see the benefit of Black people pointing out and highlighting other people who have it easy. So what? How does that affect you? What is standing in your way? Only your own defeatism.
This advantage was by design, that's the salient point here, particularly since so many white racist claim that the symptoms of institutional racism are self-inflicted or non-existent.

And why do you assume that because this topic interests me that means somehow I'm a failure in life? It's more a sore point for poor white racists than it is for average black Americans.

""This advantage was by design, that's the salient point" <<<< so far we got stats
who is richer. -----but no actual mechanism. There is a claim that credit (loans)
are easier for "whites". and an implied claim that whites who served in the military
get benefits (like the GI bill for education and VA home loans) but blacks do not and
"someone or group" DESIGNED this disparity. I have a need to know------who actually decided that a person who served in the military who is white gets the

These things newsvine presents are facts. Go do some research and you will get your question answered since you have been told how things have happened over and over but refuse to accept what you've been shown.

I researched and could find NO WHERE---the names of the people who DESIGNED the system specifically denying blacks (however one defines
"blacks" ) access to the military GI bill for education. My father served in
the Navy----he did get some training in watchmaking by going to nite school
classes.paid for by the GI bill. Was there a master plan in 1945 to deny
blacks the opportunity to attend nite school and get training in watch-making?
Be assured----he was absolutely unable to make a living as a watchmaker----
no one needed watchmakers-------timex pinlever watches became cheap and
UNREPAIRABLE
segregation was still happening in 1945.

so true-----my dad was the only jew on his ship--(world war II) ----so they stuck
him in a little room and made him the ship's accountant (called bursar on
the ship) -----it was to get him out of the main population of sailors---that old time GHETTO thing

Blacks are failures everywhere in the world. It's obviously genetics, not racism.
Even some of the most hardcore racists that frequently post on USMB don't believe that nonsense. Welcome to 2019.
So why are blacks failures the world over, even where there are few if any whites? Please do tell.

Why do whites still steal resources from Africa to get rich?
Why are blacks failures the world over? Do you honestly think it's just the States?!
Carthage really was great. If Only, a deal could have been reached simply for the sake of Art.

such a waste

IM2------do you suggest that in the next version of the DSM-----the use of the
word "CRACKER" to designate a "white person"-----be considered a sign of
a mental disorder?

No. Because that word is a reaction to the mental disorder of white racism.

oh I get it---"whites" act and blacks REACT
if only,

bigots would "keep it to themselves".

Blacks are failures everywhere in the world. It's obviously genetics, not racism.
Even some of the most hardcore racists that frequently post on USMB don't believe that nonsense. Welcome to 2019.
So why are blacks failures the world over, even where there are few if any whites? Please do tell.

Why are blacks failures the world over? Do you honestly think it's just the States?!

There wasn't much to steal, and whatever they "stole", they stole from failures who had neither the intellect nor strength to secure them, much like the Arabs before them. Now of course the Chinese are going at it at a far larger scale for Africa's meager resources.

Regardless, unfair as it may seem, blacks are an underclass wherever they are found.

I researched and could find NO WHERE---the names of the people who DESIGNED the system specifically denying blacks (however one defines
UNREPAIRABLE

There was no specific legislation that prohibited access to the GI Bill for black veterans. The issue was more attributed to discriminatory practices in where black veterans were actually able to purchase homes.

https://www.history.com/news/gi-bill-black-wwii-veterans-benefits

yes-----I understand. I grew up in a town that had ABSOLUTELY NO BLACKS---
------however------until the post world war II era it ALSO had absolutely no jews
and rumor had it that when my family---with five kids moved in there was a
PETITION started by the local yokels block to the sale of the house. Now the town is VERY VERY DIVERSE "racially" -----but there are people still there who refer to
Italians as "wops" As to "mental illness" -------it would seem to me that anyone
who believes that the reason people in that town use the term WOP is a manifestation of A GRAND DESIGN-----is probably delusional. Delusion is
a manifestation of a THOUGHT DISORDER (aka psychosis)

Jews come in all races. And you suffer from psychosis because racism is more than name calling.

oh goody-----then anti Semitism is not racism-----which makes FARAKHAN
and adolf A-ok

UNREPAIRABLE

so true-----my dad was the only jew on his ship--(world war II) ----so they stuck
the ship) -----it was to get him out of the main population of sailors---that old time GHETTO thing
stereotypes as international bankers can be "hard to live down".

The following is the essence of the article. I had never heard the term 'Jim Crow Credit' before:

“First, you legally segregate, and then you let the market do it for you”

So just to run back the score: Southern slaveholding families were able to recuperate post-Civil War wealth losses within one generation, and by 1940 even those families’ grandchildren were doing better than their Southern peers. Also by 1940, low-income and working-class white families are ushered into wealth via federally backed housing and farming loans and derivative lines of credit. In that same time, freed African Americans are mostly robbed of what little bit of land they were able to possess after the Civil War, and passed over for the mortgage loans and credit lines awarded to white families.

In order to create, lose, and then re-create wealth—and then create new forms of wealth for other low-income white families—white families leveraged social networks and credit. This is the community context that the McKinsey report identifies as one of the crucial components needed for families to build wealth. Most African Americans were never able to develop this, and in the few areas where they did accumulate community-level wealth, it was taken from them. And they were unable to recover it due to racist residential and spatial settings.

The Amazing Resiliency of White Wealth - CityLab
How did the loan payback rate of blacks compare with whites, then and now? Could that be a reason?
Black folks barely received loans, back in the day.

These guys know what happened but they'd rather try gaslighting instead of admitting it and work towards ridding themselves of their racism.
Before I lose what little interest I have left, what did happen?

UNREPAIRABLE

stereotypes as international bankers can be "hard to live down".

so true

There wasn't much to steal, and whatever they "stole", they stole from failures who had neither the intellect nor strength to secure them, much like the Arabs before them. Now of course the Chinese are going at it at a far larger scale for Africa's meager resources.

Regardless, unfair as it may seem, blacks are an underclass wherever they are found.
..."the Romans, really rubbed it in."

why do you cite the Romans?

why do you cite the Romans?
...nothing happens in a vacuum of special pleading in our space-time continuum.

The following is the essence of the article. I had never heard the term 'Jim Crow Credit' before:

“First, you legally segregate, and then you let the market do it for you”

So just to run back the score: Southern slaveholding families were able to recuperate post-Civil War wealth losses within one generation, and by 1940 even those families’ grandchildren were doing better than their Southern peers. Also by 1940, low-income and working-class white families are ushered into wealth via federally backed housing and farming loans and derivative lines of credit. In that same time, freed African Americans are mostly robbed of what little bit of land they were able to possess after the Civil War, and passed over for the mortgage loans and credit lines awarded to white families.

In order to create, lose, and then re-create wealth—and then create new forms of wealth for other low-income white families—white families leveraged social networks and credit. This is the community context that the McKinsey report identifies as one of the crucial components needed for families to build wealth. Most African Americans were never able to develop this, and in the few areas where they did accumulate community-level wealth, it was taken from them. And they were unable to recover it due to racist residential and spatial settings.

The Amazing Resiliency of White Wealth - CityLab
How did the loan payback rate of blacks compare with whites, then and now? Could that be a reason?
Black folks barely received loans, back in the day.

These guys know what happened but they'd rather try gaslighting instead of admitting it and work towards ridding themselves of their racism.
Before I lose what little interest I have left, what did happen?

You know exactly what happened. You don't need it explained. That's why you're here making smart ass comments because you know, we know, and you think it's funny. So go lose interest you racist fuck.

UNREPAIRABLE

There was no specific legislation that prohibited access to the GI Bill for black veterans. The issue was more attributed to discriminatory practices in where black veterans were actually able to purchase homes.

https://www.history.com/news/gi-bill-black-wwii-veterans-benefits

yes-----I understand. I grew up in a town that had ABSOLUTELY NO BLACKS---
------however------until the post world war II era it ALSO had absolutely no jews
and rumor had it that when my family---with five kids moved in there was a
PETITION started by the local yokels block to the sale of the house. Now the town is VERY VERY DIVERSE "racially" -----but there are people still there who refer to
Italians as "wops" As to "mental illness" -------it would seem to me that anyone
who believes that the reason people in that town use the term WOP is a manifestation of A GRAND DESIGN-----is probably delusional. Delusion is
a manifestation of a THOUGHT DISORDER (aka psychosis)

Jews come in all races. And you suffer from psychosis because racism is more than name calling.

oh goody-----then anti Semitism is not racism-----which makes FARAKHAN
and adolf A-ok

White jews are racist towards black jews. And what whites have done here is worse than Hitler. You want to talk about Farrakhan who has no power, but what about Trump, McConnell , McCarthy , etc?

You are here trolling this thread because Newsvine asked your racist ass to leave her alone. Now you want to be a jew, but a few posts back, your daddy was a white watchmaker and you asked if there was some master plan that stopped blacks from going to night school to study to be a watchmaker.

GFY.

You are really dumb. And I mean that in the sense of you really don't know anything about Africa.

Forum List

Back