While we all are worrying about what Congress is doing...

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
We have an issue building.

Venezuela to go nuclear with Russia
Published: Sept. 29, 2008 at 11:09 AM

CARACAS, Venezuela, Sept. 29 (UPI) -- Venezuela plans to develop its nuclear energy capacity with the help of ally Russia, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said in a national address.

The leftist Chavez -- an outspoken critic of the United States -- said the South American country would develop a civilian nuclear energy program with Russia's help, El Universal reported Monday.

Last week Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said his country was interested in aiding Venezuela in its nuclear ambition, a comment that raised concerns in Washington about the two countries drawing closer.

Chavez told Venezuelans during a national radio address Sunday that the program would however be for "peaceful means."

More...

Yes, I'm sure we should all be worried about Venezuela attacking us with nuclear weapons, even though it would mean their certain destruction.

Calm down. Several south american countries have civilian nuclear power. If venezuela complies with the NPT and IAEA inspections, which I expect they would, there's nothing to freak out over.

The Russians can make this move because Bush spread us too thin fighting two wars. Plus once it was found out that iraq was bullshit, no one wanted to sign up. And then Mccain and bush back georgia trying to make it an issue for the elections and russia fucked some shit up in georgia and that cost us 1 billion dollars. So we fuck with their neghbors when we are spread thin and going bankrupt? Their paying us back for breaking them and many millionaires were made out of the ussr collapse and my god, we are headed for a great depression.

Obama 08

I imagine we have one or two or three nukes pointed right at Chavez's pointy little head even as we speak.

I wonder if in Russian message boards there was ever a thread called "While we were all worrying about the economy... [News]US To Put Missile Defense in Poland[/News]".

I wonder if in Russian message boards there was ever a thread called "While we were all worrying about the economy... [News]US To Put Missile Defense in Poland[/News]".

A missile defense system is not the same as an offensive, first strike capability.

Please. If you think a small missile designed to track and disable an intercontinental multiple warhead ballistic missile that can possibly destroy multiple targets and kill tens if not hundreds of thousands of people are equally classed weapons, I would like to hear your explanation.

Well, there's a key word in that sentence there. "DEFENSE." Now if we put a US Missle Offensive shield... well, then I'd see what those KGB nutcases have their panties so tightly wound for. But seriously, a DEFENSIVE shield.

The one thing I don't get is why the hell we're putting one in Poland. When was the last time Iran threatened Poland?

Please. If you think a small missile designed to track and disable an intercontinental multiple warhead ballistic missile that can possibly destroy multiple targets and kill tens if not hundreds of thousands of people are equally classed weapons, I would like to hear your explanation.

No I asked you made the point that A missile defense system is not the same as an offensive, first strike capability.

I disagree, I think. But first I'd like to hear you out on it before I put my view, which is in a state of flux at the moment.

No I asked you made the point that A missile defense system is not the same as an offensive, first strike capability.

I disagree, I think. But first I'd like to hear you out on it before I put my view, which is in a state of flux at the moment.

I think I answered why they are not the same in my last post:

...a small missile designed to track and disable an intercontinental multiple warhead ballistic missile that can possibly destroy multiple targets and kill tens if not hundreds of thousands of people ...

So?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Venezuela is a soverign nation, isn't it?

Or is the Whole western Hemisphere really just a colony of the USA?

You tell me, folks.

By what right do we have to tell that nation it cannot have nuclear power?

So?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Venezuela is a soverign nation, isn't it?

Or is the Whole western Hemisphere really just a colony of the USA?

You tell me, folks.

By what right do we have to tell that nation it cannot have nuclear power?

Not talking nuclear power.

The problem is that Russia will undoubtedly try to sneak weaponized nuclear material into Venezuela. So let them have power but there has to be compliance with IAEA regs and those regs must be enforced at all costs.

Yes, I'm sure we should all be worried about Venezuela attacking us with nuclear weapons, even though it would mean their certain destruction.

Calm down. Several south american countries have civilian nuclear power. If venezuela complies with the NPT and IAEA inspections, which I expect they would, there's nothing to freak out over.

Of course. Calm down. Everyone knows what a honorable, peace-loving fellow Chavez is.

Has anybody other than me noticed that liberals always give the bad guys the benefit of the doublt. That America is always wrong? Go figure! :cuckoo:

Well, there's a key word in that sentence there. "DEFENSE." Now if we put a US Missle Offensive shield... well, then I'd see what those KGB nutcases have their panties so tightly wound for. But seriously, a DEFENSIVE shield.

The one thing I don't get is why the hell we're putting one in Poland. When was the last time Iran threatened Poland?

I wish I could say "The key word is 'civilian'" in Russian.

Not talking nuclear power.

The problem is that Russia will undoubtedly try to sneak weaponized nuclear material into Venezuela. So let them have power but there has to be compliance with IAEA regs and those regs must be enforced at all costs.

Will "undoubtably be"?

That's a pretty serious charge.

Got any proof about that?

That is irrelevant- of course those missiles wouldn't be used to murder hundreds of thousands of people. But the fact is that while the US has an arsenal capable of incinerating Russia, with a missile "defense" shield, Russia's capability to incinerate the US is gone. Effectively, it's a door to allow a first strike, even if this particular weaponry itself wouldn't be doing the striking, because it allows the US to strike first and reject Russian reaction.

I just realized that DavidS asked "what was the last time Iran threatened Poland?" And I'd respond "Beats me". Conversely, the US has threatened Venezuela multiple times and even staged a coup 6 years ago. Who should be more fearful, Venezuela of the US or Poland of Iran?

Personally, though, I'm against any Russian missiles in Venezuela, but not any less than I'm against any US missiles in Poland, or either's missiles anywhere, really. Hell, I'm against missiles in general. :tongue:

Forum List

Back