Which way do you lean on blaming Obama for U.E.?

P.s. --> If you think someone on Food Stamps' Electric bill is $200 a month, like yours, you're grossly mistaking unless they're either A: living grossly beyond their means, B: Not really in need of food stamps, or C: In a high-COL area like L.A.

I dunno, summers in New Orleans are routinely 92+ with heat indexes in the 100's. I can see $200 bill, mine hovers around $300 to $400.

In a low budget apartment?

Well, not exactly, but I sould see $200...

Limited benefits for a limited time for narrowly defined people, most of them with children.

Are you talking about foods stamps or welfare?

My former neighbor (elderly) lived on $300 a month and was denied food stamps. My electric bill is around $200 a month. Add it up.

P.s. --> If you think someone on Food Stamps' Electric bill is $200 a month, like yours, you're grossly mistaking unless they're either A: living grossly beyond their means, B: Not really in need of food stamps, or C: In a high-COL area like L.A.
I'm just giving you a picture of what it costs to cool a house in my neighborhood. Of course her bill would be lower, as she's only one person. But that is just one expense. Property tax, income tax, doctor visits, etc...$300 doesn't go far.

Anyway she ended up selling her house and moving out of state where she could live more cheaply. Not many have that choice.
I'm much more comfortable with forcing a homeowner to sell their home before them getting assistance from every tax-payer, because they're not quite at the dire-straights level if they own a home.........and that's what that should be reserved for.

Limited benefits for a limited time for narrowly defined people, most of them with children.

Are you talking about foods stamps or welfare?

My former neighbor (elderly) lived on $300 a month and was denied food stamps. My electric bill is around $200 a month. Add it up.

No shit, I have a 2800 sq foot house that we keep at 68 degrees AND a swimming pool that is running constantly and my bill hovers around the $200 mark.

I'm just giving you a picture of what it costs to cool a house in my neighborhood. Of course her bill would be lower, as she's only one person. But that is just one expense. Property tax, income tax, doctor visits, etc...$300 doesn't go far.

Anyway she ended up selling her house and moving out of state where she could live more cheaply. Not many have that choice.
I'm much more comfortable with forcing a homeowner to sell their home before them getting assistance from every tax-payer, because they're not quite at the dire-straights level if they own a home.........and that's what that should be reserved for.

I could even go for some sort of federal program of reverse equity in that situation. My grandparents did that. They live in Las Vegas. VERY expensive to live there, but there house is paid off, so they borrowed against it, and receive a check every month, and when they pass their estate will have to pay back the bank. Everyone wins.

in my state, if you do not have children, or are not a senior, or disabled, it is near impossible to qualify for food stamps....i think an individual has to make less than $7500 bucks a year....so people only making $8000 a year gross, would not qualify.

in my state, if you do not have children, or are not a senior, or disabled, it is near impossible to qualify for food stamps....i think an individual has to make less than $7500 bucks a year....so people only making $8000 a year gross, would not qualify.

$8k a year is plenty to survive, with homeless shelters, Section 8 living, etc.

It's a false argument to think that people who aren't working should still have a "nice life." Hard work needs to factor in somewhere, and losing work/being poor is an "emergency" situation, and should be treated like one, and you should feel the effects in order to entice the hard work. (not starve, but not live in a nice flat either and cry about $8k a year can't "pay my bills." )

Let's do some math....say they're taxed like 23% (which they're not), they're taking home $6160 a year. That's $513 bucks a MONTH, for food, for ONE person. Food is essential for survival. Cells aren't, cars aren't, your own nice place, is not.

It's a false argument to think that people who aren't working should still have a "nice life." Hard work needs to factor in somewhere, and losing work/being poor is an "emergency" situation, and should be treated like one, and you should feel the effects in order to entice the hard work. (not starve, but not live in a nice flat either and cry about $8k a year can't "pay my bills." )

Let's do some math....say they're taxed like 23% (which they're not), they're taking home $6160 a year. That's $513 bucks a MONTH, for food, for ONE person. Food is essential for survival. Cells aren't, cars aren't, your own nice place, is not.

No shit. I would like to see a reputable study done comparing the number of people who collect food stamps while having both cable or satellite tv and cell phones, not to mention the internet.

IMO if you collect welfare, the government should assign a case worker to you who is essentially in charge of your financial life.

I know if things get tight around my house I would cut off the satellite tv, maybe even sell the ferrari, get rid of the cell phones, etc etc. That's how life is supposed to work. Where do all these loons get off saying everyone deserves to live equal?

I made over 1000 a month when I was in high school, working at a campground doing really tough manual labor and also some pretty disgusting things like pumping out the septic tanks of the travel trailers.

I made BANK for a 15 year old. I learned how to work hard for what I want at an early age.

I can't even fathom being an adult and only making 8000 a year. But I suppose some jobs really only command that much salary within the market, and SOMEONE has to do that job.

I made over 1000 a month when I was in high school, working at a campground doing really tough manual labor and also some pretty disgusting things like pumping out the septic tanks of the travel trailers.

I made BANK for a 15 year old. I learned how to work hard for what I want at an early age.

I can't even fathom being an adult and only making 8000 a year. But I suppose some jobs really only command that much salary within the market, and SOMEONE has to do that job.

I agree, and that someone should be the kid living at home ..... ya know. Or, a retired person who works for "time killing."

If you're a grown assed adult making $8, 000 a year, it's not the system that's failed you...........it's your own hustle that's an absolute failure.

My kid worked part time at Pizza Hutt while in High school and made almost that much a year.

:eusa_whistle:That's what it reserved for. She didn't get food stamps.

As you can see by my link, it's apparently too easy, then, in NY to get food stamps. Don't whistle at me lady!! grrrr! lol :eusa_angel:

I'm with the posters that feel like Welfare should be converted to WORKfare.

I also believe that Food Stamps should go, with recipients getting Actual Groceries rather than the CC or paper, since abuse of the present system (the selling of vouchers for 50¢ on the dollar) is so widespread.

For MediCare and MedicAide, I believe there should be NO CHARGE for anyone on these programs, for ANY medical necessity.

I believe that UE should be cut to 2/3 ~ 3/4's of Minimum Wage, which would DEFINITELY encourage actual job hunting. You'd have to be brain dead NOT to accept MORE in UE than you could make at a job, so I honestly don't blame folks for refusing jobs in order to bring home more money, but if even a minimum wage job was going to pay more, NO ONE would just sit at home and collect.

I'm not against HELPING folks;

I AM against taking them to raise/supporting them.

Because she owned a home which is an asset that is over the limit of what you may own. Damn how hard is that to understand. Go to a bank and borrow against the house, like normal people do.

I agree, and that someone should be the kid living at home ..... ya know. Or, a retired person who works for "time killing."

If you're a grown assed adult making $8, 000 a year, it's not the system that's failed you...........it's your own hustle that's an absolute failure.
Except, as Pauli pointed out...someone has to do those $8K a year jobs.

As you can see by my link, it's apparently too easy, then, in NY to get food stamps. Don't whistle at me lady!! grrrr! lol :eusa_angel:
:lol: Why don't you apply for them and see what happens, just as an experiment.

Except, as Pauli pointed out...someone has to do those $8K a year jobs.

And they deserve them.

Forum List

Back