Which Tom Clancy?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Which Tom Clancy novel did you enjoy most? I would like to know because I have a few here and would like to know which one to read next. I have: The Bear and the Dragon, Without Remorse, the Teeth of the Tiger; Red Rabbit; and Rainbow Six.

I would like to read something with a fictitious WWIII/ Cold War/ something along those lines. Which would you reccommend? If there are any other titles not mentioned please do tell, I know of a bookstore that sells them used for about 3 bucks apiece. Thanks.

Without Remorse is the best actual "novel" Clancy ever did. I still am in shock as to why Hollywood has never done a movie based on this one, it could be quite good.

The most "fun" novel Clancy ever did was actually two, Debt Of Honor & Executive Orders. I know the horrific events at the end of Debt Of Honor are looked upon kind of unfavorably these days, but look past it and see the big picture of an america challenged that rises to the ocassion. The sheer amount of action, development and plot manuevering going on in both novels guarantee enjoyment.

Semper Fi said:
How is red storm rising? Thats a cool title by the way.

Red Storm Rising is a fictional telling of a third world war between the Soviets and America. Its very good, and isn't too dated despite being near 20 years old and the cold war being over.

Zhukov said:
Not counting the non-fiction one about Iraq, I've only read Rainbow Six and Executive Orders. The latter is when Ryan first becomes President. I liked it.

Non fiction about Iraq? Do tell! How was Rainbow Six? I think I've got it narrowed down between those two (Red Storm Rising and Rainbow Six).

Semper Fi said:
Non fiction about Iraq? Do tell! How was Rainbow Six? I think I've got it narrowed down between those two (Red Storm Rising and Rainbow Six).

it was called "into the storm." it was about the first gulf war. pretty good too. zhukov reviewed it earlier this year, you can check it out in this forum.

Semper Fi said:

Being the only two Clancy books I had read, the Rainbow Six plot was kind of similar to Executive Orders, which I didn't particularly like.

But aside from that they are two very different books. EO deals mostly with the President, his policies, and the rebuilding of the government, whereas R6 deals almost exclusively with the international counter-terrorism commandos the book is named after. The latter is much shorter as well.

Here's my post NATO mentioned.

I just picked up Red Storm Rising for $3.45. I think it will be pretty good. Thanks for the info on other Clancy's. Man, he wrote alot didnt he?...

Semper Fi said:
Which Tom Clancy novel did you enjoy most? I would like to know because I have a few here and would like to know which one to read next. I have: The Bear and the Dragon, Without Remorse, the Teeth of the Tiger; Red Rabbit; and Rainbow Six.

I would like to read something with a fictitious WWIII/ Cold War/ something along those lines. Which would you reccommend? If there are any other titles not mentioned please do tell, I know of a bookstore that sells them used for about 3 bucks apiece. Thanks.

Check out Larry Bond as well. He writes some good military books.

Doc Holiday said:
Check out Larry Bond as well. He writes some good military books.

Oh yeah? I'll look into that once I am through with my Clancy phase and the english teacher.

"Rainbow Six" and "The Bear and the Dragon" are the only two Clancy novels I've read. Both were really great, but I'd like one with more spy craft in it. Do any of you have any recommendations?

I've read the entire Jack Ryan series, save Red Rabbit and Teeth of the Tiger. I enjoyed them all immensely.

If you are looking for a fictitious war book, go get Red Storm Rising. Ironically, it's the only one without Jack Ryan in it. But it's excellent. The Bear and the Dragon is about a war between Russia and China. Another great one.

gop_jeff said:
I've read the entire Jack Ryan series, save Red Rabbit and Teeth of the Tiger. I enjoyed them all immensely.

If you are looking for a fictitious war book, go get Red Storm Rising. Ironically, it's the only one without Jack Ryan in it. But it's excellent. The Bear and the Dragon is about a war between Russia and China. Another great one.

I think like Jeff, I've read them all, plus his non-fiction on submarines. Also the netforce series, which aren't really Clancy. I liked Executive Orders and Red Storm Rising the best, though all of his novels are good.

Forum List

Back