Which side would you be on in the Civil War ?

A time machine could take you back to that troubled time. Which side would you join and why ?

Imagine being such a fart-smelling Welshman that you think asking Americans what side of the Civil War they would be on is somehow intelligent or insightful.

I personally cannot imagine. But then, I'm not from a nation that uses ten bazillion letters for the word "milk" or some such

Many Americans are not particularly knowledgeable about the English Civil War.

Perhaps he sought to educate us.

One useful thing to know. When the English Civil War ended, they still had slavery.

If you want to know all about the English Civil war. From the inimitable Mike Duncan:

Revolutions

A time machine could take you back to that troubled time. Which side would you join and why ?

The war never should have happened. A large majority of the American people favored compromise plans ala the Crittenden Compromise, which would have banned slavery from 2/3 of the territories, ended the unfair compensation rates in the fugitive slave courts, and practically set up a de facto compensated emancipation program. But, extremists from both sides torpedoed all such plans, and the war came.

I would have gone to Utah and joined my fellow Latter-day Saints and sat out the war. But, if I had had to enlist in one of the two sides' armies, I would have joined the Union Army.

Forum List

Back