Which should have first priority: The woman, the fertilized egg, or the fetus?

Which should have first priority: The woman, the fertilized egg, or the fetus?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Abortion is repugnant. Period. However, I believe the final decision should be up to the woman - UNLESS she is judged to be legally incompetent to make the final decision.

BTW you are being completely dishonest by pretending we aren't talking about a child.

Not everyone sees the mass of cells as a child. For me, the simple meeting of the sperm and egg does not a human being make. Now, exactly when this mass becomes a viable human being, I don't know. Some premies wouldn't continue to live without mechanical assistance. Are they not human beings? Ask mom and dad. And yet, if it comes down to it, if the birth of the child is going to kill mom for sure, but aborting the child will save her, I say save mom. Although, maybe mom would say save baby. It's a good thing I'll never be in that position.

Abortion is repugnant. Period. However, I believe the final decision should be up to the woman - UNLESS she is judged to be legally incompetent to make the final decision.

Agreed, but a decent woman will consider the the view of the father.

If the mother's life is at risk, she has priority.

Otherwise, the unborn child does.

Look at it this way.. Under the law, all are to be treated equally. Men, after having sex, have no legal say in what happens if the woman becomes pregnant. His only option is to prepare to have to pay her money for the 18 to 24 years every month.

Why should women have options afterwards? If men have to "suffer the consequences" of her becoming pregnant, shouldn't women also have to suffer the consequences?

Its not about equality, its about slanting the game against "the others". you keep forgetting that.

This is a sincere poll. I would appreciate honest answers. If you're willing, I would also appreciate your reasons. I will not criticize your choice. I would just honestly like to know where USMB posters stand on this issue.

The poll doesn't include my answer.

The woman and the fetus have equal rights.

Legally, the woman has priority. She is the citizen.

Otherwise, they are all God's creation equally. When a fetus is aborted naturally, that is God's prerogative.

Agreed. However, that may depend on one's definition of a "decent" woman. Decent or not, I believe the woman should have final say.

Most people will tell you that you only have the right to end a human life when it presents a clear, present and immediate threat of significant harm - even if then.

Killing for convenience? There's a right to do that?

The argument is made that a fetus is not a human being.

I don't know at which stage of life that a fetus becomes a human being if at all.

Agreed. However, that may depend on one's definition of a "decent" woman. Decent or not, I believe the woman should have final say.

Decent as in having a good heart, yes, the final say is with the female, but...................tough question, very tough.

I don't know at which stage of life that a fetus becomes a human being if at all.

and the argument was once made (and legally supported) that black people are 3/5ths of a human being.

Our laws evolve.

I believe that a fetus is a human being and deserves protection under our legal system. Scientific evidence supports that conclusion as does common sense. If a fetus is NOT a human, then what is it? A banana?

At any rate our legal system has two major pillars that support protecting a fetus:

1) To err on the side of life. If we are uncertain in a death penalty case - we have decided to err on the side of life - not execution. So if we can't be certain about when human life actually begins (and not just trying to massage a guilty conscience, but REAL questions) then we should err on the side of life and protect the fetus.

2) One HUGE reason for laws is so society can help protect the rights of the weaker - those who are unable to protect themselves - from the stronger who would trample their rights for their own convenience. That principle demands that we protect fetuses.

Last edited:

So they found you in the cabbage patch??

So at what time would a fetus not be human??

Can't believe you really posted this.

Its never a gold fish,always a human always from beginning to end. Trying to twist this simple and common sense FACT is well rather stupid and denies one own self.

and the argument was once made (and legally supported) that black people are 3/5ths of a human being.

Our laws evolve.

I believe that a fetus is a human being and deserves protection under our legal system. Scientific evidence supports that conclusion as does common sense. If a fetus is NOT a human, then what is it? An banana?

At any rate our legal system has two major pillars that support protecting a fetus:

1) To err on the side of life. If we are uncertain in a death penalty case - we have decided to err on the side of life - not execution. So if we can't be certain about when human life actually begins (and not just trying to massage a guilty conscience, but REAL questions) then we should err on the side of life and protect the fetus.

2) One HUGE reason for laws is so society can help protect the rights of the weaker - those who are unable to protect themselves - from the stronger who would trample their rights for their own convenience. That principle demands that we protect fetuses.

Well put its really rather simple question,its never anything but a human ,just small and innocent.

Our laws evolve.

I believe that a fetus is a human being and deserves protection under our legal system. Scientific evidence supports that conclusion as does common sense. If a fetus is NOT a human, then what is it? An banana?
By using the term "human being" and then assigning an appropriate definition for that term, the pro-abortion-on-demand crowd can argue the moral acceptability in ending certain human lives whenever convenient to do so.

After all, it was a non-person.

Our laws evolve.

Liberals will claim that blacks are 3/5ths human constitutionally, which, of course is wrong. But has that argument really ever been legally supported?

Laws protect the rights of citizens. Citizens are persons born or naturalized in the United States. That doesn't include fetuses.

Our laws evolve.

By using the term "human being" and then assigning an appropriate definition for that term, the pro-abortion-on-demand crowd can argue the moral acceptability in ending certain human lives whenever convenient to do so.

After all, it was a non-person.

The war with ones conscience demands some accommodations. I get that.

But I also wouldn't dream of harassing a woman who is probably already having one of the worst days of her life by heckling her as she walks into a clinic.

The biological realities of procreation create HUGE inequities between men and women imho. And if anyone has an idea about how to level that playing field without taking a life - I'm all ears.

Our laws evolve.

Liberals will claim that blacks are 3/5ths human constitutionally, which, of course is wrong. But has that argument really ever been legally supported?

Laws protect the rights of citizens. Citizens are persons born or naturalized in the United States. That doesn't include fetuses.

Yes, that argument has been supported legally:

Digital History

(Hence the comment about our laws evolving)

So you say our laws don't protect you unless you're a citizen?

So it's perfectly legal to kill an illegal alien?????

I don't think you thought that post through very well.

Only a fool would argue that a fetus isn't a potential human being. I catch hell from the right to lifers, but I consider a fetus a baby when I can hear two heartbeats from a woman.

Forum List

Back