Which reality shows are "real"??

On some of them, I think much of it is staged, but the people have to consent to being on and to dialog that might be captured and later shown which they might not have wanted aired. It's easy to tell which emotions are "real" and which aren't. Staged or not, the ones on MTV are great "lessons" for young people--like "Teen Mom," which is discussed in another thread.

I see ads for one called Mantracker I think it is. Hide and seek. How can you run and hide with a camera crew along with you all the time?
Poor kids of today are going to have trouble sorting out reality.

you know i have never thought of that.....

There's always a website and comment section for any program, so I'm sure that's been questioned before. It would be interesting to check it out. Maybe all hidden cameras aren't perched on booms requiring a person to drive it?

no he sucks in both....now what i like about jersey shore...they fight ....they dont kick them off the show for fighting

I don't think there are ANY rules are there? It's really a cheap production, too. The film is real gritty and sound sucks (thank God for subtitles, what with the mumbling and sound quality).

As an added thought, doesn't everyone agree that the FCC should start allowing the word FUCK to be heard?

Mebbe after 9 pm. Be nice to preserve some decorum during the day, for the kiddies. I'm not aching for the day Katie Couric calls a pol a "fucking idiot", though I'm sure it's not far off.

I watched a spoof on reality TV which was hilarious. The "cake makers" (there are THREE separate shows), the "Housewives" of [fill in blank], "I didn't know I was pregnant" (WHOT?!), "The Batchelor/Batchelorette," etc.

I've seen some really bad reality shows and actually some really good ones.

Hoarders (although I still have a hard time not thinking these people are just slobs, period).

Intervention-- That show's so old, one would think the people highlighted must already know they're going to be part of that particular show, yet they all seem so "surprised" when the actual intervention takes place. Most don't make it once they leave rehab, which is the TRUE reality.

You're Cut Off (VH1)-- This has GOT to be all staged, or those women have been isolated from the real world entirely. It's jaw-dropping incredibly funny.
VH1 to debut 'You're Cut Off!" spoiled rehab reality series on June 9 - Reality TV World - News, information, episode summaries, message boards, chat and games for unscripted television programs

True Beauty-- Along the same lines as ^ only these are young narcissists where their phony personas are explosed.

What Not to Wear-- This has gotten too predictable, but always enjoyable to hear the comments from Stacy and Clinton. "YOU HAVE TROLL HAIR!!"

I admit I can easily get hooked. It's nice to have completely dumbing down diversions from, er, "reality"!

Anyone here with favorites of their own?

I don't care so much for Housewives of but this week on Housewives of DC That woman and husband who crashed the Obama State dinner is going to deal with that issue. I saw that red dress on a promo and I just have to see how that went down.

Annoying, it's true, but they did suck me in with that.

Which reality shows are "real"??

You are serious?

On some of them, I think much of it is staged, but the people have to consent to being on and to dialog that might be captured and later shown which they might not have wanted aired. It's easy to tell which emotions are "real" and which aren't. Staged or not, the ones on MTV are great "lessons" for young people--like "Teen Mom," which is discussed in another thread.

I see ads for one called Mantracker I think it is. Hide and seek. How can you run and hide with a camera crew along with you all the time?

Poor kids of today are going to have trouble sorting out reality.

:lol: True.

I pretty much loathe "reality" shows. Big Brother probably tops the list. I will admit to just loving Alec on Ice Road Truckers. I wouldn't want to be his wife (17 kids!?!?!?) but there's something endearing about his personality. Haven't watched in a good while - is he still driving or did health problems take him off the road? Hugh is a little salty, but I like him, too.

no he sucks in both....now what i like about jersey shore...they fight ....they dont kick them off the show for fighting

I don't think there are ANY rules are there? It's really a cheap production, too. The film is real gritty and sound sucks (thank God for subtitles, what with the mumbling and sound quality).

As an added thought, doesn't everyone agree that the FCC should start allowing the word FUCK to be heard?

Mebbe after 9 pm. Be nice to preserve some decorum during the day, for the kiddies. I'm not aching for the day Katie Couric calls a pol a "fucking idiot", though I'm sure it's not far off.

Well the shows that now can use the words asshole, shit, goddamned, bitch and bastard all come on at 10PM, and they should keep it that way. I didn't mean to include news anchors (although I'm sure Katy is always thankful when she remembers to turn off her mike!).

[...]

Absolutely! It's expressive profanity and is perfectly acceptable in certain situations, such as the Jersey Shore. The excessive censorship of language on television is one more manifestation of the authoritarian nature of American culture. It's Big Brother.

Forum List

Back