Which reality shows are "real"??

i watch brizzala....and teen mom, 16 and pregant...housewives of....cops....pawn stars...

the first reality tv show was on pbs....about the loud family many many years ago...
lets take pawn stars...it not very real...ie. chumley comes off as a oft and not too bright...in reality....chumley is an expert on video games and old pin ball machines and what pawn shop has all these experts on call?

My mother got totally hooked on that. It was called "American Family." Ironically, years later, I worked with the woman who had an affair with Bill Loud and broke up the family. Her name was Cheri [will leave out last name, although years later I'm sure no one cares]. She bragged about it "loudly" at the time but not too many people wanted to listen to her because no one remembered the program except me.

I remember the program too. They lived in such a nice area, and were financially secure--it was hard to understand why they should be so miserable.

I think they lived in Santa Barbara, were a typical "country club" couple who basically had ignored what their teenagers were up to. I only caught it once or twice because it was on during the day and I was in school. I think the cameras revealed a lot that the parents were completely unaware of which caused the rift and their ultimate breakup. Financial security never does much to help out a family that's dysfunctional to begin with.

None of them are "real." The presence of cameras and crews change the very nature if the reality. The one show that perhaps comes closest to being "real" is Deadliest Catch, in my opinion.

Of the ones I have seen, I consider the answer to this good question, a dichotomy. Mostly bullshit....:lol:

I have checked quite a few out, and REALLY....decided to do something more worthwhile with my life and times...:lol:

You should all look up The Joe Schmo Show from Spike. It was a fake reality show where everyone was in on the joke but one guy who thought he was on a real show. They intentionally tried to make things as ridiculous as possible to see if he would catch on.

It was a lot of fun, and you start to cheer for the Schmo when you realize that's he's just a genuine nice guy. On top of that it was interesting to see the actors evolve. At first its just a job, then they get attached to the guy and start to feel truly guilty. Best Reality TV show I've ever watched, which is ironic given its set up.

None of them are "real." The presence of cameras and crews change the very nature if the reality. The one show that perhaps comes closest to being "real" is Deadliest Catch, in my opinion.

Of the ones I have seen, I consider the answer to this good question, a dichotomy. Mostly bullshit....:lol:

I have checked quite a few out, and REALLY....decided to do something more worthwhile with my life and times...:lol:

You should all look up The Joe Schmo Show from Spike. It was a fake reality show where everyone was in on the joke but one guy who thought he was on a real show. They intentionally tried to make things as ridiculous as possible to see if he would catch on.

It was a lot of fun, and you start to cheer for the Schmo when you realize that's he's just a genuine nice guy. On top of that it was interesting to see the actors evolve. At first its just a job, then they get attached to the guy and start to feel truly guilty. Best Reality TV show I've ever watched, which is ironic given its set up.

Spike also does "1000 Ways to Die" which are reinactments of true bizarre deaths. Or so they say. That's one of those channels that's got a lot of junk and reruns of reruns of reruns. How it stays alive, I don't know.

You are serious?

On some of them, I think much of it is staged, but the people have to consent to being on and to dialog that might be captured and later shown which they might not have wanted aired. It's easy to tell which emotions are "real" and which aren't. Staged or not, the ones on MTV are great "lessons" for young people--like "Teen Mom," which is discussed in another thread.

Spike also does "1000 Ways to Die" which are reinactments of true bizarre deaths. Or so they say. That's one of those channels that's got a lot of junk and reruns of reruns of reruns. How it stays alive, I don't know.

Its a total mystery to me. But every so often they strike gold. Kinda reminds me of the USA Network.

I had never watched "Jersey Shore," but decided to take a look at it and so recorded the last episode and I just watched 15 minutes of it. When they weren't mumbling or yelling in indecipherable stupidspeach, swearing and fucking, they were sleeping. Fascinating...not.

The only reason I wanted to see what the show is all about is because "The Situation" is now a contestant on "Dancing With the Stars," and on that show, I think he's just adorable. He's got the most innocent eyes, an intoxicating big smile and is very respectful--not at all living up to his reputation.

But I can now score "Jersey Shore" as being the most ridiculous "reality" show I've ever seen, and yes, "The Situation" is akin to Mr. Hyde on Jersey Shore, who transforms to Dr. Jekyll on "Dancing." Two totally different personas in two totally different environments.

One reality show I found interesting is Big Brother, which actually is an elaborate Psych lab in which a dozen individuals of varied backgrounds are confined to a house for ten weeks and compete to avoid being evicted, which often involves deception and treachery. It is interesting to watch the effect that confinement has on the different personalities

no he sucks in both....now what i like about jersey shore...they fight ....they dont kick them off the show for fighting

I don't think there are ANY rules are there? It's really a cheap production, too. The film is real gritty and sound sucks (thank God for subtitles, what with the mumbling and sound quality).

As an added thought, doesn't everyone agree that the FCC should start allowing the word FUCK to be heard?

You are serious?

On some of them, I think much of it is staged, but the people have to consent to being on and to dialog that might be captured and later shown which they might not have wanted aired. It's easy to tell which emotions are "real" and which aren't. Staged or not, the ones on MTV are great "lessons" for young people--like "Teen Mom," which is discussed in another thread.

I see ads for one called Mantracker I think it is. Hide and seek. How can you run and hide with a camera crew along with you all the time?

Poor kids of today are going to have trouble sorting out reality.

i love mantracker....but alas it gave da man a chance to bitch slap me.....i am sitting there watching it...and go "damn i wonder how often mantracker catches them fast?" when da man goes...."never, its a 60 minute show"

the filming of jersey shore is kind blair witchish...

i dont care for big brother....

survivor sucks now..

but i cant wait for amazing race...this sunday

You are serious?

I see ads for one called Mantracker I think it is. Hide and seek. How can you run and hide with a camera crew along with you all the time?
Poor kids of today are going to have trouble sorting out reality.

you know i have never thought of that.....

Forum List

Back