Which reality shows are "real"??

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
I watched a spoof on reality TV which was hilarious. The "cake makers" (there are THREE separate shows), the "Housewives" of [fill in blank], "I didn't know I was pregnant" (WHOT?!), "The Batchelor/Batchelorette," etc.

I've seen some really bad reality shows and actually some really good ones.

Hoarders (although I still have a hard time not thinking these people are just slobs, period).

Intervention-- That show's so old, one would think the people highlighted must already know they're going to be part of that particular show, yet they all seem so "surprised" when the actual intervention takes place. Most don't make it once they leave rehab, which is the TRUE reality.

You're Cut Off (VH1)-- This has GOT to be all staged, or those women have been isolated from the real world entirely. It's jaw-dropping incredibly funny.
VH1 to debut 'You're Cut Off!" spoiled rehab reality series on June 9 - Reality TV World - News, information, episode summaries, message boards, chat and games for unscripted television programs

True Beauty-- Along the same lines as ^ only these are young narcissists where their phony personas are explosed.

What Not to Wear-- This has gotten too predictable, but always enjoyable to hear the comments from Stacy and Clinton. "YOU HAVE TROLL HAIR!!"

I admit I can easily get hooked. It's nice to have completely dumbing down diversions from, er, "reality"!

Anyone here with favorites of their own?

None of them are "real." The presence of cameras and crews change the very nature if the reality. The one show that perhaps comes closest to being "real" is Deadliest Catch, in my opinion.

None of them are "real." The presence of cameras and crews change the very nature if the reality. The one show that perhaps comes closest to being "real" is Deadliest Catch, in my opinion.

That's probably true for the most part, but I also think that having cameras around nonstop is probably something you could get used to. (Also there are hidden cameras in some of those shows). But then I wonder how much is acting and how much IS real, because I sometimes see emotional meltdowns that if that's acting, then the person has truly missed his/her calling and should be in the business and getting paid big bucks.

Now there's a show I think is likely real....except where are the mothers of grooms, dragging their sons away from the she-beasts?

If my kidlet acted that-a-way I'd brain her.

Now there's a show I think is likely real....except where are the mothers of grooms, dragging their sons away from the she-beasts?

You don't have a son, do you? :lol:

It's not that simple. If I liked a girl, that was the kiss of death for the relationship. The one I really didn't like or trust was the one he married. She cheated on him a few times evem though they had three children. They're now divorced.

I tell him I'm picking the next one (if there is a next one)! :lol:

I watched a spoof on reality TV which was hilarious. The "cake makers" (there are THREE separate shows), the "Housewives" of [fill in blank], "I didn't know I was pregnant" (WHOT?!), "The Batchelor/Batchelorette," etc.

Hoarders (although I still have a hard time not thinking these people are just slobs, period).

Intervention-- That show's so old, one would think the people highlighted must already know they're going to be part of that particular show, yet they all seem so "surprised" when the actual intervention takes place. Most don't make it once they leave rehab, which is the TRUE reality.

You're Cut Off (VH1)-- This has GOT to be all staged, or those women have been isolated from the real world entirely. It's jaw-dropping incredibly funny.
VH1 to debut 'You're Cut Off!" spoiled rehab reality series on June 9 - Reality TV World - News, information, episode summaries, message boards, chat and games for unscripted television programs

True Beauty-- Along the same lines as ^ only these are young narcissists where their phony personas are explosed.

What Not to Wear-- This has gotten too predictable, but always enjoyable to hear the comments from Stacy and Clinton. "YOU HAVE TROLL HAIR!!"

I admit I can easily get hooked. It's nice to have completely dumbing down diversions from, er, "reality"!

None of them.

Heisenberg's principle of uncertainty applies to televison shows no less than to electrons.

The minute a teleision crew attempts to document real behavior it changes it.

None of them.

Heisenberg's principle of uncertainty applies to televison shows no less than to electrons.

The minute a teleision crew attempts to document real behavior it changes it.

Some of them are entertaining as hell, though. I watch them as "fill" when I'm about ready to call it a day and need my brain to wind down.

You don't have a son, do you? :lol:

It's not that simple. If I liked a girl, that was the kiss of death for the relationship. The one I really didn't like or trust was the one he married. She cheated on him a few times evem though they had three children. They're now divorced.

I tell him I'm picking the next one (if there is a next one)! :lol:

Man, that sucks. I kinda sorta thought sons were easier than daughters. I know whaca mean about saying you like the love interest.

My kidlet and I have a deal. If I tell her I dun like her beloved, she's free to marry him. but if I say I hate his fucking guts, she's supposed to pause. Thank God, that hasn't come up...if it did, I hope the deal holds.

Of the ones I have seen, I consider the answer to this good question, a dichotomy. Mostly bullshit....:lol:

I have checked quite a few out, and REALLY....decided to do something more worthwhile with my life and times...:lol:

Last edited:
I find some of the 'reality' shows quite entertaining but don't for one minute think they're not edited to death. Money, money, money, money.

I do watch Survivor (<sigh> yeah, I know), Next TV Food Star, Design Star and Say Yes to the Dress. We catch Cake Boss (my son likes it), Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers (love Lisa and Alec) but only when we remember they're on. Thing is about most of these shows is that the kids can also watch.

I find some of the 'reality' shows quite entertaining but don't for one minute think they're not edited to death. Money, money, money, money.

I do watch Survivor (<sigh> yeah, I know), Next TV Food Star, Design Star and Say Yes to the Dress. We catch Cake Boss (my son likes it), Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers (love Lisa and Alec) but only when we remember they're on. Thing is about most of these shows is that the kids can also watch.

I like Ice Road Truckers too--and Pawn Stars. I did like some of the Housewife shows but now they're just getting too bizarre. No one acts like that!

i watch brizzala....and teen mom, 16 and pregant...housewives of....cops....pawn stars...

the first reality tv show was on pbs....about the loud family many many years ago...

lets take pawn stars...it not very real...ie. chumley comes off as a oft and not too bright...in reality....chumley is an expert on video games and old pin ball machines and what pawn shop has all these experts on call?

i watch brizzala....and teen mom, 16 and pregant...housewives of....cops....pawn stars...

the first reality tv show was on pbs....about the loud family many many years ago...
lets take pawn stars...it not very real...ie. chumley comes off as a oft and not too bright...in reality....chumley is an expert on video games and old pin ball machines and what pawn shop has all these experts on call?

My mother got totally hooked on that. It was called "American Family." Ironically, years later, I worked with the woman who had an affair with Bill Loud and broke up the family. Her name was Cheri [will leave out last name, although years later I'm sure no one cares]. She bragged about it "loudly" at the time but not too many people wanted to listen to her because no one remembered the program except me.

My mother got totally hooked on that. It was called "American Family." Ironically, years later, I worked with the woman who had an affair with Bill Loud and broke up the family. Her name was Cheri [will leave out last name, although years later I'm sure no one cares]. She bragged about it "loudly" at the time but not too many people wanted to listen to her because no one remembered the program except me.

I remember the program too. They lived in such a nice area, and were financially secure--it was hard to understand why they should be so miserable.

I just discovered Cake Boss. It's very good. Those dang cakes are amazing.

Although he did make a lifesized one for his wife and I wondered how gruesome it was going to be to cut it.

Forum List

Back