Which Party Left, Which Right?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I just read something interesting on one of the blogs, it engendered a lot of comments, so I thought you all might be interested. If you go to the site, you might want to go through some of her other posts, especially if you are interested in the Catholic Church and some different points of view:

http://theanchoress.blogspot.com/2005/02/if-democrats-are-berlin-in-1931-who-is.html

If the Democrats are Berlin in 1931, who is Dean?
Michael Barone writes an astute column on the blogosphere and its effect on politics:

The Democratic Internet constituency was and is motivated by one thing more than anything else: hatred of George W. Bush. To see that you only have to take a look at dailykos.com, run by Democratic consultant Markos Moulitsas, which gets 400,000 page views a day--far more than any other political weblog--and which received funding from the Dean campaign (which Moulitsas disclosed). It seethes with hatred of Bush, constantly attacks Republicans, and excoriates Democrats who don't oppose Bush root and branch. When four American contractors were killed in Iraq in April 2004, dailykos.com wrote, "I feel nothing over the death of the mercenaries. They are there to wage war for profit. Screw them." This repulsive comment produced no drop-off in page views. This was what the left blogosphere wanted. Kos was an early enthusiast for Dean's campaign for Democratic chairman and disparaged other candidates.

And now...the Dems have elected Howard Dean as head of the DNC. Howard Dean who said, "I hate Republicans and everything they stand for...".

And I just can't help thinking...the Democrats have lost every election since 1996. They are feeling demoralized and confused. Althought they are convinced of their moral and intellectual superiority over Republicans and conservatives, the Dems are nevertheless splintering into factions; they are in need of unity. The only thing the varying factions within the party have in common is utter hatred of George W. Bush and anyone who supports him or his policys, or even just SOME of his policys.

We've seen this before, in history. Berlin. 1931. Germany is feeling neglected and demoralized and impotent. The Germans are in need of leadership that will make them feel emboldened, empowered, unified and optimistic. It wants leadership to tell them that they are as great as they always believed they were.

And up from the damp, reeking ratskeller came a stubby-armed man with a gleam in his eye and a gutteral cry and a message of hate and superiority...and the Germans said...Javohl!

Everytime I hear a extremist Democrat or a far-left, whacky liberal call the other side "Nazi" all I can think is: PROJECTION. All they purport to hate, they are become. The only reason they cry "Nazi" is because it is now all they know, and all they recognise.

My Democrat party, the party of Scoop Jackson and Hubert Humphrey and RFK is gone. And in their place...well...break out your history books and turn to "Early 20th Century Europe." Oh...and make sure it's a history book written before the 1980's. :)

posted by The Anchoress | 2/13/2005 01:04:00 AM

Sir Evil said:
lol, and to think others out there think the same as us here at the USMB! :scratch:

We are legion! :teeth:

Sir Evil said:
I am absolutely mystified that there are amny disagreeing to these things but then comes along a Bully and you just have to wonder who's the one that is really mystified! :D
Ah but if you read her comments section, you will see that Bully has a few friends, but they are outnumbered and out thought. :teeth:

Forum List

Back