Which of these statements do you most agree with

• there are many sciences wherein the prerogatives of God have been usurped

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
-there are many sciences wherein the prerogatives of God have been usurped; it is wrong to use technology to try to create 'utopia'

-the proper roll of technology is to bring us closer to utopia by improving our environment and the human condition

Last edited:
The poll options are inadequate.

My choice:

The purpose of science is to continue to strive for a better understanding of the world in which we live and how we can improve our lot in life (which is not the same as utopia - a concept which will never be realized).

Last edited:
-there are many sciences wherein the prerogatives of God have been usurped; it is wrong to use technology to try to create 'utopia'

-the proper roll of technology is to bring us closer to utopia by improving our environment and the human condition
You pre-suppose all science is working for the greater good. Sell that notion at Los Alamos.

Everyones idea of utopia is different.
for Samson it would be beautiful slender women with tentacles.
for me it would mostly be a pure communistic society where people share and fear and greed do not exist.
For some it would be continual war.
For many they think ti would be the conquest/conversion of the world to their religion.

the most we can hope for is for each of us to find their own personal utopia for the duration of our brief lifespans.

Science is the natural result of human curiosity and desire to understand and control our environment.

Technology is the application of science to create tools that can help us in that task.

Neither of these things usurps anything that belongs in the realm of faith. Utopia is impossible to achieve. So where is the "None of the Above" option?

You pre-suppose all science is working for the greater good. Sell that notion at Los Alamos.
No I don't.

I said the proper roll of technology is to improve the human condition.

I never said all technology was always used so. I find the use of science to enable mass slaughter and exploitation morally abhorrent. I find slaughter and exploitation abhorrent and it saddens me that Man focuses so much effort of finding was to kill and oppress his kin.

genetic engineering
for me it would mostly be a pure communistic society where people share and fear and greed do not exist.
machines that produce the goods you need enable abundance, helping reduce competition for resources and free man from his laoburs so he can enjoyhis bounty, the arts, and communion with his fellow man
plug their brains into a vr machine and they can kill all they want while noone else suffers. same principle as the xbox
For many they think ti would be the conquest/conversion of the world to their religion.
again, the vr machine.

the most we can hope for is for each of us to find their own personal utopia for the duration of our brief lifespans.

I also specified what i meant by 'bringing us closer to utopia'- language I only used because the anti-technology freak railing against shoes and hammers accuses people who wear socks or live in houses of trying to create utopia via technology

A VR machine is like drugs, fake and not real and would give no one their utopia.
Or are you saying to put them on life support machinery and just let them live in their fantasy world?

genetic engineering
machines that produce the goods you need enable abundance, helping reduce competition for resources and free man from his laoburs so he can enjoyhis bounty, the arts, and communion with his fellow man
plug their brains into a vr machine and they can kill all they want while noone else suffers. same principle as the xbox
again, the vr machine.

I also specified what i meant by 'bringing us closer to utopia'- language I only used because the anti-technology freak railing against shoes and hammers accuses people who wear socks or live in houses of trying to create utopia via technology

Gotta love people who turn on their computers and log onto the internet to rail against the evils of technology.

genetic engineering
again, the vr machine.

Gotta love people who turn on their computers and log onto the internet to rail against the evils of technology.

OHH great kudos to you for that :D

out of rep for now.

My choice:

The purpose of science is to continue to strive for a better understanding of the world in which we live and how we can improve our lot in life (which is not the same as utopia - a concept which will never be realized).

So you agreed with the second sentence; you just didn't read it in full

I also disagree with both statements
What do you believe is the proper role of technology, if not improving our environment and the human condition to make things better?

The proper role of technology is to allow me to eat as much as I want and not get fat

Be careful what you wish for, you may get it in a manner you do not expect.
Have you ever seen or read "the Lathe Of Heaven" Ursala K. Laguinn (sp?)

Actually the tech is already there just add a bit of exlax to everything you eat.

My choice:

So you agreed with the second sentence; you just didn't read it in full

No, I don't. "Bringing us closer to utopia" requires a definition of Utopia.

No thank you. The definitions sponsored by many of our power grasping governments are truly horrific - and lead to an ends justify the means set of public policies.

Forum List

Back