Which of these issues is most important to you?

Taxation of earnings from labor is on a par with forced labor. Seizing the results of

• Economy

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Healthcare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Foreign Policy

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Civil Liberties

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Education

• Energy Policy

• Immigration

• Taxes

• Social Issues (abortion, gay marriage, etc...)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other

• Total voters
The anti-taxation argument is the domain of teh stupid. They will never understand that taxes are not "redistributed" to the poor, they pay for everything from highways to their senators' wages, from war machines to yes, programs to keep Americans from starving.

That they are completely unwilling to participate in making the United States of America country strong, educated, compassionate, modern, efficient, and effective makes me wonder if they'd be happier in some other country.

You seem to think things like being educated or having morals and all that othe stuff you listed can't be achieved without government?

Obviously not. Look at how many stupid threads are started by people that have no clue what they're talking about, they simply bloviate because their party is able to hold the rest of Congress, and therefore democracy, hostage. They avoid true patriotism, interpreting it in their own image, much like their god. They can't get out of the doublewide long enough to connect with the rest of society, they are completely disconnected. Their "morals" are neither theirs nor are they morals. If government of, by, and for ALL the people is reduced to a plutocracy ruled over by corporate sharks and policed by a radical fringe, leaving the general population to their own devices with no recourse or justice then this country is FUBAR'd.

So how are stupid threads started by people under the current system evidence that a different system is bad?

The anti-taxation argument is the domain of teh stupid. They will never understand that taxes are not "redistributed" to the poor, they pay for everything from highways to their senators' wages, from war machines to yes, programs to keep Americans from starving.

That they are completely unwilling to participate in making the United States of America country strong, educated, compassionate, modern, efficient, and effective makes me wonder if they'd be happier in some other country.

I think the point even the OP missed in his quote is "from labor." When taxes were first levied in order to support our government, the founders made it clear that they should be levied on property, wealth, inheritance, and interest income rather than on the income made by the labor of those who actually work. They found that (tax of labor) to be repugnant, as it hindered upward mobility, and threatened to foster a permanent ruling class as well as a increasingly powerless underclass. That, they felt, was the antithesis of democracy.

The right wing has turned these sentiments on their head, making every day backasswards day in the public discourse.

Last edited:
Just found it strange you were telling me how our government was intended to be yet you called it a democracy.

Just found it strange you were telling me how our government was intended to be yet you called it a democracy.

There was no "a" before democracy in my post. I did that on purpose. You didn't quote what you were responding to. You did that on purpose as well.

I think the point even the OP missed in his quote is "from labor." When taxes were first levied in order to support our government, the founders made it clear that they should be levied on property, wealth, inheritance, and interest income rather than on the income made by the labor of those who actually work. They found that (tax of labor) to be repugnant, as it hindered upward mobility, and threatened to foster a permanent ruling class as well as a increasingly powerless underclass. That, they felt, was the antithesis of democracy.

The right wing has turned these sentiments on their head, making every day backasswards day in the public discourse.

I would prefer an honest, aggressive, and diligent press. If I had that, everything else would follow. Joseph Pulitzer understood the awesome power of the press:

"There is not a crime, there is not a dodge, there is not a trick, there is not a swindle, there is not a vice which does not live by secrecy. Get these things out in the open, describe them, attack them, ridicule them in the press, and sooner or later public opinion will sweep them away. Publicity may not be the only thing that is needed, but it is the one thing without which all other agencies will fail."

“Our Republic and its press will rise or fall together. An able, disinterested, public-spirited press, with trained intelligence to know the right and courage to do it, can preserve that public virtue without which popular government is a sham and a mockery. A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself. The power to mold the future of the Republic will be in the hands of the journalists of future generations.”

Pulitzer was right; as the press goes, so goes the country. Unfortunately, when the press withholds or distorts the news in favor of a personal political agenda, they become an enemy more dangerous by far than any foreign threat could ever be.

Last edited:

You seem to think things like being educated or having morals and all that othe stuff you listed can't be achieved without government?

you want government dead.

Obviously many of these affect one another.

Social issues concern me the most in any election.

Liberty and freedom concern me the most.

you want government dead.

More or less. Government should protect infringments of freedom, full stop.

Forum List

Back