Which of these is 'magic'?

Were either of both of my examples 'magic'?

• The use of the spell was magic, the other was not

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • The use of the nanobots was magic and the other was not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both were magic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither were magic

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Cant wrap my brain around it, sorry

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
If I told you I was a wizard and could poof a BMW auto out of then air, and you would see it quickly assemble itself right before your eyes, and then did so, would that be magic?

Suppose I said that instead of it being some wizardly spell I cast but I had a set of nanobots given me by space aliens instead and you saw the car assembled by these little nanobots, would that be magic?

Or if man was "shimmered" into being from a pile of dirt. Now THAT would be "magic".

Or if man was "shimmered" into being from a pile of dirt. Now THAT would be "magic".

No, that would be a poetic reference of our evolution from organic material.

Now getting a LIBERAL to actually anser a question, THAT would be magic.

It is interesting that you are the only one who responded though.

I guess no one so far has any interst in defining what the impact of context is when it comes to interpretting something as magic or not.

You know, for someone who claims to be educated by the sciences, I would have expected you to realize that the materials, minerals, etc, that make up are body are all found in a pile of dirt.

I saw a man hold up a jar once full of all the materials that make a human being, excluding water. Guess what. It looks like dirt.

It's amazing we can identify the exact components of that make up the human body. But no matter how hard we try, we can't put them all together to create life. It's truly fascinating.

BTW. I have no clue what magic is. Im sure with a liberal defition of it we could probably widely apply it. What is magic to some might not be magic to others.

So far it seems that there is a consensus that magic means 'unknowable cause'?

If that is the definition of magic you choose to use, then it is magic until some one discovers a reality based reason for its occurance.

Thus, something is magical only due to our ignorance.

Strange thing about this---When we were first born, we were basically ignorant about the world around us. Thus we saw the world as a mystical place. As we become older and knowledgable, the world becomes more understandable and recognizable. The world loses its mysticism.

I wonder if this is the same case occuring with religion?

Neither is magic as magic doesn't exsist. In both cases the molecular structure of all ingredients involved have to come from somewhere where they exsist. It's the perception of the person viewing the creation that makes it seem like magic because they can't explain it's origin.

Thus, something is magical only due to our ignorance.

I think you have a point there.

When scientists considered the origins of the universe prior to Einstein, they thought the universe was eternal and in a steady state. Theories that involved catastrophism were ruled out simply because it was counter to this prejudice to not show the universe as a rocky boat, else it might seem ludicrous to imagine it as being eternal.

Theists who believed that the universe sprang into existance in mere seconds were laughed at as superstitious and moronic.

And yet today we know that the universe did in fact spring into existance just this way.

So it was superstitious if a theists said it happened because of God, but it is solid science if we surmise it happened under the ffects of nonpersonal forces of unimaginable dimensions whose extra dimensional existance makes them just as 'beyond nature' as any miracle would be.

there is?

Based on the scant results of the poll...but just wait, I'm sure this is when he finally unveils a reason for the thread.

Reasonfor the thread...it's an interesting discussion?

Oh wait, I forgot, ideologues dont do that because theya lready KNOW everything that is relevant. The rest of us just need to shut up and swallow what they slop out to us.

/s

Forum List

Back