Which of the original 4 Supermodels was the best?

Who was the best?

• Linda Evangelista

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Cindy Crawford

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Naomi Campbell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Christy Turlington

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
For his Autumn/Winter catwalk show in 1991, Gianni Versace hired the 4 greatest catwalk models in the world for a single show. This show is commonly considered to have created the Supermodel phenomenon. It cost $100,000, but the images became iconic. Which one of the 4 original supermodels (if any) 'did it' for you?

Make up your own mind about what 'did it' means. Could be sexiest, most stylish, most glamorous, had personality as well as looks. Could be the one you'd most like to sleep with. Could be the one you'd most like to hang out with. Or it could be all of the above. Which one had the "kwan"?

From left to right, was it Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell or Christy Turlington?

article-1210095-063CEDBE000005DC-785_468x292.jpg

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hLAG4WfTLDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hLAG4WfTLDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:
Those are "originals"?

Just how old are you?

lastpicture-0127i.jpg

cheryl_tiegs.jpg

I'm guessing you just Googled some pretty pictures. And it's true, a picture is worth a thousand words. But sometimes you need the words too.

The New Versace
GIANNI VERSACE created the supermodel phenomenon when he put Cindy, Christy, Naomi and Linda onto the catwalk together for his autumn/winter 1991-2 show
A new line-up of supermodels brings back memories of the original supermodel mania (Vogue.com UK)

1991: Supermodel Moment
After the usual wait the soundtrack switched to George Michael's track, Freedom, and four figures appear in shadow on the back of the catwalk. Spotlights reveal it's Linda, Cindy, Naomi and Christy - first names only even then - wearing tiny toga dresses slashed to the thigh in dazzlingly bright shades. They stride out, flashing long bronzed legs, arms loosely intertwined, miming to the words of the song. "I won't let you down... please don't give me up." It was a blinding collection in every sense, from the Versace signature patterns to the pinks and yellows and greens. But most importantly there were the girls... oh, those girls. The line-up included Helena Christensen, Stephanie Seymour, Eva Herzigova, Carla Bruni, Gail Elliot, and Claudia Schiffer. Before the show these girls were merely models. After they were supermodels.
Top 10 Fabulous Fashion Moments Supermodel Moment :: Top 10 :: handbag.com

There was the British model, Jean Shrimpton, who was probably the major model in the 60's. Prior to her was Suzy Parker.

The ones they have today just don't quite measure up.

For his Autumn/Winter catwalk show in 1991, Gianni Versace hired the 4 greatest catwalk models in the world for a single show. This show is commonly considered to have created the Supermodel phenomenon. It cost $100,000, but the images became iconic. Which one of the 4 original supermodels (if any) 'did it' for you?

Make up your own mind about what 'did it' means. Could be sexiest, most stylish, most glamorous, had personality as well as looks. Could be the one you'd most like to sleep with. Could be the one you'd most like to hang out with. Or it could be all of the above. Which one had the "kwan"?

From left to right, was it Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell or Christy Turlington?

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hLAG4WfTLDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hLAG4WfTLDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
just to clarify they were not the orginal supermodels! Gia was the first one they say was called a super model in the early 80's and Janice Dickenson was shortly after her called one.:razz:
On a side note a lot of people didn't realize Gia had AIDS until she died.

Just say they called Cindy "Little Gia" when she first came on the scene.
I might add Gia is sitting on her hands they say for a reason. ;) She was also one of the first models to have her own booking agent dedicated just to her.
gia.jpg

Last edited:
There was the British model, Jean Shrimpton, who was probably the major model in the 60's. Prior to her was Suzy Parker.

The shrimp is a good friend on my brother's. As is Marie Helvin. I met her and Bailey (everyone calls him Bailey, never David) at one of my brother's weddings. Both really nice, but someone had a major brain cramp in selecting the names for the Bailey children - Paloma and Fox-Fenton, as I recall. :eusa_hand:

Actually, I can't remember now whether those 2 kids came from his marriage to MH or his next wife.

Not familiar with Suzy Parker.

just to clarify they were not the orginal supermodels! Gia was the first one they say was called a super model in the early 80's and Janice Dickenson was shortly after her called one.:razz:
On a side note a lot of people didn't realize Gia had AIDS until she died.

OK, fair enough. I thought Vogue would be a reliable source for something like this, but I guess they are wrong.

The shrimp is a good friend on my brother's. As is Marie Helvin. I met her and Bailey (everyone calls him Bailey, never David) at one of my brother's weddings. Both really nice, but someone had a major brain cramp in selecting the names for the Bailey children - Paloma and Fox-Fenton, as I recall. :eusa_hand:

Actually, I can't remember now whether those 2 kids came from his marriage to MH or his next wife.

This is Suzy

Suzy_Parker_photo.jpg

Attachments

• $Suzy_Parker_photo[1].jpg
    $Suzy_Parker_photo[1].jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 133

This is Suzy

Suzy_Parker_photo.jpg

Very elegant.

The original "Supermodel" was Twiggy, I believe. But the age of the Supermodels - when they really became big media stars - was during the era of the models in the OP.

I vote for Cindy.

cindy-crawford-picture.jpg

The original "Supermodel" was Twiggy, I believe. But the age of the Supermodels - when they really became big media stars - was during the era of the models in the OP.

I vote for Cindy.

cindy-crawford-picture.jpg

Good points.

And you made a good point too Toro.

Forum List

Back