Which of the Ancient Cultures were the most Brilliant?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gatekeeper, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Someone asked a group I was with, just in general discussions, which of the ancient cultures may have contributed the most, to advancements in science, medicine and technology in general? Or as many would agree I am sure it was a 'team effort' since every culture, race etc has brilliant minds at work advancing all of the sciences.

Which then, would stand out the most, the Mayans, the Chinese, Persians? So many others to examine the list would be too long.
    What say those here in USMB?

2. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Roman culture was the most inventive by far.

3. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,089
    I'd have to go with whoever built the Moon.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I'm afraid I'm with Newton about standing on the shoulders of giants. However if pressed I'd have to say the ancient Greeks, because they, particularly Aristotle, showed us the way, intellectually speaking.

5. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    "By his very success in inventing labor-saving devices, modern man has manufactured an abyss of boredom that only the privileged classes in earlier civilizations have ever fathomed." Lewis Mumford

Wow, I have no idea. Greatest? Greece, China, Roman, Islam, Hebrew, Christian, Reformation, but what's great about slavery and a life of unremitting poverty disease and death for most people till the modern age. So tongue in cheek, I think the greatest ancient civilization hasn't occurred yet. But when looked back on from say 5000 years, it will be agreed that was the time the Golden Rule was followed and life grew simple and happy. Annoys the hell of me, I will miss it - but then again you make your own happiness.

"Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia." Kurt Vonnegut

History of CIVILIZATION

On a more serious note this is interesting.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Ideas-History-Thought-Invention-Freud/dp/0060935642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  6. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    How "ancient" is ancient?

7. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    19th century is ancient enough.

Ended slavery
    had such wonders as Koch, Ehrlich, Pasture, Curie, Roetegen, Fulton, Mendeleyev, Deisel, Nobel, Darwin
    Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Brahms
    Monet,
    Tolstoy, Twain, Dostoevsky, Thackeray, Hugo,
    Roebling, Brunnel...

Lincoln, Grant, Disraeli, Bismark, Meijii, Covour,

8. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I'd have to say the answer is the Islamic Culture pre-Crusade. They were the ones that actually preserved the Hellenistic traditions of Greek science and learning after the early Christian Church shut down the Academy and the Museum and started burning and lynching Mathematicians and Scientists. They were also the ones that advanced algebraic techniques for problem solving after the Greeks got stuck in the dead end of only considering geometric techniques for problem solving. They also assimilated Hindu characters into Mathematics (Our modern number system!) along with other Chinese and Indian mathematical, medical, and scientific techniques.

Without the Islamic houses of learning science would have likely been set back a 1000 years easily as Euclid's Elements, Archimedes various writings, and other scientific works would have stayed lost. They eventually turned fundamentalist and fell apart as a civilization, but not before transmitting all that knowledge back to Europe.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I've always liked the Minoans, trade and exploration. However their pacific nature made them right for conquest by the Mycenaeans.

10. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,089
    The Moon: Same apparent size as the Sun, only moon in the entire solar system where this is true (yeah, just coincidence) mostly hollow, has weird spots with gravitational anomalies (caused Apollo 17 probe to crash), regulates tides on Earth and helps maintain Earth orbit and tilt, intimately connected with human females, still no coherent theory that won't make you laugh as to how it got there in the first place (MIT Astrophysicist recommended "Assume (the Moon) is an observational error"). Whoever built is also signed it by putting a triangle with 16 miles ling sides in a crater almost dead center of the side that always faces Earth.

They get my vote