Which is worse - the fate of Hussein or the fate of his sons?

P

Patriot54

OK guys, no slant on this either way - just a simple question.

What is a worse punishment - being killed or facing a war crimes trial?

I think the second one is a more suiting punishment because Saddam Hussein might have to face the families of his victims and the end result might be execution.

I personally think his two sons got off easy.

Originally posted by Patriot54

I think the second one is a more suiting punishment because Saddam Hussein might have to face the families of his victims and the end result might be execution.

The end result will be execution.

Originally posted by HGROKIT
I agree, but does your answer mean you think the trial is better?

What does it matter? Dead is dead.
It matters a lot because of the reason I mentioned above. Hussein may not feel any remorse by being forced to answer for his actions or facing his victims, but he will have to sit through it knowing what the end result will be.

Are you serious? What's worse- to be dead or to not be dead?

Since torture is not involved here, OBVIOUSLY being alive is better. I'm sure Suddein's two murderous sons would rather be prancing around a courtroom thatn doing Satan's bidding in Hell.

I personally could not care less whether they are dead or behind bars/in a courtroom. The fact that none of them are in power or able to inflict more pain and suffering on the people of Iraq and around the world is cause for celebration.

Let Saddam THINK he is the President of Iraq:rolleyes: ... we all know different.

It seems that way, huh?
As long as capital punishment is an option in Iraq, Saddam remains the most viable candidate!!!!!

Originally posted by nycflasher
Are you serious? What's worse- to be dead or to not be dead?

Since torture is not involved here, OBVIOUSLY being alive is better. I'm sure Suddein's two murderous sons would rather be prancing around a courtroom thatn doing Satan's bidding in Hell.

I personally could not care less whether they are dead or behind bars/in a courtroom. The fact that none of them are in power or able to inflict more pain and suffering on the people of Iraq and around the world is cause for celebration.

Let Saddam THINK he is the President of Iraq:rolleyes: ... we all know different.
We're not talking about death vs. life in prison. He will end up dead no matter what happens in the trial. I just think the Iraquis deserve a chance to make him sweat first.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
It all depends on what you think the afterlife has in store for them.
Good point, but that's all about people's personal beliefs. When Saddam was captured, they gave up without a fight because he was afraid to die. If that's true, then I guess he didn't picture a pleasant afterlife for himself.

We're not talking about death vs. life in prison. He will end up dead no matter what happens in the trial. I just think the Iraquis deserve a chance to make him sweat first.

Absolutely, the longer he is kept alive by trial perhaps the more time the Iraqis have to vent and make him pay.

On the other hand, the sooner the bitch is dead the sooner the Iraqi people can go on living in a post-Saddam Iraq. Post- as in him and his sons are all DEAD and BURIED.

Good point, but that's all about people's personal beliefs. When Saddam was captured, they gave up without a fight because he was afraid to die. If that's true, then I guess he didn't picture a pleasant afterlife for himself.

Yeah, I think he would probably kill himself if he thought HE was going to be on the receiving end of 70 virgins or Elysian fields or something. More likely, he'll be on the receiving end of Satan's "magic stick" for etenity. Open wide. :eek: :D :blowup:

On the other hand, the sooner the bitch is dead the sooner the Iraqi people can go on living in a post-Saddam Iraq. Post- as in him and his sons are all DEAD and BURIED.
Very good point there - I believe in an eye for an eye, so hopefully he will get his punishment soon, after a short trial. My eye for an eye theory can only go so far because I personally don't believe in horrible torture. But that is for the Iraquis to decide.

Here's my best case scenario: He should have to go through the trial for about a month or two, being kept in solitary confinement when he's not in the courtroom. He will be fed, but just enough to keep him alive for his punishment. Then they bring him to one of his former palaces, so he can think about what he lost. (Also, the palace would be converted into a memorial for his victims - I think that would really piss him off). Then they should find a family member of one of his victims, the biggest baddest one possible, and let him beat the hell out of Saddam for a while, but not to use the type of torture that his regime used. That would send the message that he will suffer for his crimes, but that his methods were wrong. Then after listening to his victims testify, he should be hanged or shot. Is that so harsh?

Very good point there - I believe in an eye for an eye, so hopefully he will get his punishment soon, after a short trial. My eye for an eye theory can only go so far because I personally don't believe in horrible torture. But that is for the Iraquis to decide.

Here's my best case scenario: He should have to go through the trial for about a month or two, being kept in solitary confinement when he's not in the courtroom. He will be fed, but just enough to keep him alive for his punishment. Then they bring him to one of his former palaces, so he can think about what he lost. (Also, the palace would be converted into a memorial for his victims - I think that would really piss him off). Then they should find a family member of one of his victims, the biggest baddest one possible, and let him beat the hell out of Saddam for a while, but not to use the type of torture that his regime used. That would send the message that he will suffer for his crimes, but that his methods were wrong. Then after listening to his victims testify, he should be hanged or shot. Is that so harsh?

If you need to ask, then I think you know the answer to your question... I'm sure, to some, that pbeating someone to within an inch of there lives might constitute torture. I don't like loing, thought out responses to Saddam's fate. He should be treated like any other vicious, murderous criminal.

Enough said. Nothing will make up for all the anguish he has caused. The sooner people can move on with their lives the sooner he no longer matters... and is all BUT forgotten.

I can't wait til he is rotting underground.

If you need to ask, then I think you know the answer to your question... I'm sure, to some, that pbeating someone to within an inch of there lives might constitute torture. I don't like loing, thought out responses to Saddam's fate. He should be treated like any other vicious, murderous criminal.
You're right that nothing will equal what he did to people. But a good old fashioned beating is still far better than what his victims got. I'm just trying to think of a balance between a fitting punishment without stooping to his level. It's not like he would be tied up during the beating - he would have somewhat of a chance to defend himself (although he doesn't look like much of a fighter). No weapons of any kind, just one on one with fists.

You're right that nothing will equal what he did to people. But a good old fashioned beating is still far better than what his victims got. I'm just trying to think of a balance between a fitting punishment without stooping to his level. It's not like he would be tied up during the beating - he would have somewhat of a chance to defend himself (although he doesn't look like much of a fighter). No weapons of any kind, just one on one with fists.

Controlled stoning by the families of his many victims?

Originally posted by Kathianne
Controlled stoning by the families of his many victims?
Hey, that's a good one. But they should make that the last public stoning in Iraq. I wouldn't wish that on anyone else, but Saddam has earned it. And they need to videotape it so we can watch him beg.

All I'm saying... is that we don't do that to our most violent offenders here in the U.S. We didn't make Dahmer(sp?) eat his own penis as punishment for his crimes.

But you won't find me rushing to Saddam's defense anytime soon.
I can't belief Khadafi's daughter has joined the defense team?!?!?!

The only motivation I could think of is that one false move and her father could find himself on the receiving end of a similar trial?

Nah...

Hey, that's a good one. But they should make that the last public stoning in Iraq. I wouldn't wish that on anyone else, but Saddam has earned it. And they need to videotape it so we can watch him beg.

Ok, there's hope for you yet! Apologies to SE for earlier slap!:p:

If I'm going to be in the news, I'd rather be on trial than have my blown apart body reconstructed soley for the purpose of taking pictures to fuel the blood frenzy of the warmongering public.

Forum List

Back