Which GOP governor has damaged his state the most?

Pretty good OP, rdean . However, I think your thread would be more effective if you remove "GOP" and make it open to all 50 Governors. Plus, exactly how do we want to measure this? Lots of mitigating factors, here. And for every factoid we bring, someone somewhere will scream that it is wrong. Considering the terrible mess that Kansas is in, Brownback should go on that list as well. But I am quite sure we will find a "blue" state or two that is not doing well, either.

Actually, I am getting very tired of the designations of "blue" and "red". The larger swath nation is more purple than either side really wants to admit.

Let's get members of all persuasions to help make a list of criteria first and then turn this into a serious thread about accomplishments and failures. And yes, Education should be at the top of the pile. I give it a 6% chance that this will happen.

:D
You said: However, I think your thread would be more effective if you remove "GOP" and make it open to all 50 Governors. Plus, exactly how do we want to measure this? Lots of mitigating factors, here.

I suspect there are fewer mitigating factors than can be admitted. It's the big issues and the majorities that determine the directions of the parties regardless of the outliers.

It reminds me of the way liberals see the majority of Muslims. I have a thread brewing for that.

Anyway, it seems to me that you want to kind of celebrate the similarities between Democrats and Republicans and minimize the differences. Only you can't. Simply by the fact of their membership. A perfect example is the fact Eric Cantor, the only GOP Jew in either house was replaced with "David Dukes without the baggage" and the GOP is 90% white and 100% Christian in congress.
While some GOP point to the fact the Democrats are over 60% white, look at who those whites are. Gays, atheists, scientists, college professors, liberals, feminists and others not welcome in the GOP. Then you have all the minorities in the Democratic Party, even conservatives making it a true coalition party. A very, very far cry from the GOP. Not something you can deny.

So, with such a GOP base of the same, crazy has hijacked the party. Ask Republicans individually if they believe in "let him die" and "feed the poor and they will breed" and they will say of course not. I suspect (only suspect) most will say education is a good thing. That vaccines work. That scientists are hard working people. The problem is, that's not what the party believes. The GOP base follows the party leadership and not the other way around.

The GOP hilarity isn't confined to the USMB. If you want, read the comments under Rick Perry's job poaching videos on Youtube. Comments like education is for liberals and is over rated. You don't need liberal indoctrination to learn to do a job. Yea, as long as that job is sweeping or mopping. .

None of what Republicans say can hide the fact GOP policies are terrible disasters. 8 years under George Bush caused enormous damage to the country and to the world. The problem is that he followed orthodox GOP policy to the tee. Deregulated the economy. Tax cuts for the wealthy. Bomb our enemies. Bring Democracy to the rest of the world. And Republicans, instead of reviewing the positive effects of their policies (which I admit I couldn't find), decided to run away with excuses. Bush wasn't a real Republican. Iraq was ungrateful and so on. Ask USMB Republicans what they used reconciliation on three times and they won't respond. Remember how outraged they were when Democrats used it once?

And it's the same with the states. 150 years of conservative policies in Red States and they tend to make money in two ways. Grow something out of the ground or dig up something out of the ground. And their hatred of Obama, of minorities, of education, of science and so on is over the top. Their foreign policy would lead us into even more disaster.

Can you name a single GOP policy that would help the US. And explain how. You can't.

And they cherry pick their awful policies and point with glee - see? they work!

Only they don't. How can you see minimum wage jobs without benefits or a future as "success"? No wonder the government needs to give food stamps and health care to minimum wage workers. And what does the GOP say? Get a better job. What job are they talking about?

Sure, you can have a few Democrats who do as crappy a job as Republicans. Because there are conservatives in the Democratic Party. But the GOP does crappy everywhere.

It's a difficult choice. Crispie has been pretty bad. Downgraded 8 times. Billions in debt. So has Walker.
But I think maybe Perry. Cutting 5 billion in education. I know Republicans don't see that as important, but the business community certainly does.

Anyone else?

You libs its one lie filled thread after another. Why are you lying about Chris Christie?

Dogs bark, ducks quack, babies cry; dimocraps lie.

It's what they do. From the Lying Cocksucker in Chief on down -- dimocrap filth lie.

Every last one of them. It's an autonomic function with them. Like breathing. It's their first instinct. Like a felon hiding from the Cops, whenever they see someone they're not familiar with, their first instinct is to run.

That's the way it is with dimocraps. Their first instinct is to lie.

Can they tell the truth? Yes, but it a takes a conscious effort.

The difference between a dimocrap and a normal human is -- We KNOW when we're lying.

dimocrap scum honestly don't. They really don't.

And no, I am honestly not being sardonic. dimocraps lie like you and I breath air.

It's the #1 reason I hate them. Not their politics. Not their zany idea. Not that they're the opposition.

I hate dimocraps because they're lying scum. Every.Last.One.Of.Them.

You seem angry. Not quite on topic, what?

Nope, not on topic. Here's the topic:

you are welcome.

Pretty good OP, rdean . However, I think your thread would be more effective if you remove "GOP" and make it open to all 50 Governors. Plus, exactly how do we want to measure this? Lots of mitigating factors, here. And for every factoid we bring, someone somewhere will scream that it is wrong. Considering the terrible mess that Kansas is in, Brownback should go on that list as well. But I am quite sure we will find a "blue" state or two that is not doing well, either.

Actually, I am getting very tired of the designations of "blue" and "red". The larger swath nation is more purple than either side really wants to admit.

Let's get members of all persuasions to help make a list of criteria first and then turn this into a serious thread about accomplishments and failures. And yes, Education should be at the top of the pile. I give it a 6% chance that this will happen.

You said: However, I think your thread would be more effective if you remove "GOP" and make it open to all 50 Governors. Plus, exactly how do we want to measure this? Lots of mitigating factors, here.

I suspect there are fewer mitigating factors than can be admitted. It's the big issues and the majorities that determine the directions of the parties regardless of the outliers.

It reminds me of the way liberals see the majority of Muslims. I have a thread brewing for that.

Anyway, it seems to me that you want to kind of celebrate the similarities between Democrats and Republicans and minimize the differences. Only you can't. Simply by the fact of their membership. A perfect example is the fact Eric Cantor, the only GOP Jew in either house was replaced with "David Dukes without the baggage" and the GOP is 90% white and 100% Christian in congress.
While some GOP point to the fact the Democrats are over 60% white, look at who those whites are. Gays, atheists, scientists, college professors, liberals, feminists and others not welcome in the GOP. Then you have all the minorities in the Democratic Party, even conservatives making it a true coalition party. A very, very far cry from the GOP. Not something you can deny.

So, with such a GOP base of the same, crazy has hijacked the party. Ask Republicans individually if they believe in "let him die" and "feed the poor and they will breed" and they will say of course not. I suspect (only suspect) most will say education is a good thing. That vaccines work. That scientists are hard working people. The problem is, that's not what the party believes. The GOP base follows the party leadership and not the other way around.

The GOP hilarity isn't confined to the USMB. If you want, read the comments under Rick Perry's job poaching videos on Youtube. Comments like education is for liberals and is over rated. You don't need liberal indoctrination to learn to do a job. Yea, as long as that job is sweeping or mopping. .

None of what Republicans say can hide the fact GOP policies are terrible disasters. 8 years under George Bush caused enormous damage to the country and to the world. The problem is that he followed orthodox GOP policy to the tee. Deregulated the economy. Tax cuts for the wealthy. Bomb our enemies. Bring Democracy to the rest of the world. And Republicans, instead of reviewing the positive effects of their policies (which I admit I couldn't find), decided to run away with excuses. Bush wasn't a real Republican. Iraq was ungrateful and so on. Ask USMB Republicans what they used reconciliation on three times and they won't respond. Remember how outraged they were when Democrats used it once?

And it's the same with the states. 150 years of conservative policies in Red States and they tend to make money in two ways. Grow something out of the ground or dig up something out of the ground. And their hatred of Obama, of minorities, of education, of science and so on is over the top. Their foreign policy would lead us into even more disaster.

Can you name a single GOP policy that would help the US. And explain how. You can't.

Only they don't. How can you see minimum wage jobs without benefits or a future as "success"? No wonder the government needs to give food stamps and health care to minimum wage workers. And what does the GOP say? Get a better job. What job are they talking about?

Sure, you can have a few Democrats who do as crappy a job as Republicans. Because there are conservatives in the Democratic Party. But the GOP does crappy everywhere.

Quite the opposite. I don't want to minimize the differences. I just think that we should use the same measuring stick for all, that's all.

There were some GOP policies that are indeed helping America. Both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama adopted them, or a version of them, and now the Right hates those policies, like, for instance, the health insurance mandate. That was a Republican idea from Newt Gingrich.

Not all Governorships are created equal. Some state constitutions have the office weak, and others have it strong in terms of political influence. Texas is an example of a weak office state. That is why a dufus like Perry can hold office and no one really cares because he can not actually break much. The Legislature and the Lt Governor pretty much run things in that state.

Well this thread was designated for Political Hackery City.
Like life, specific approaches to a problem are different for each problem. Sometimes a specific approach works, sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes a conservative approach works just like sometimes a liberal approach or a moderate approach works, depends on the situation.
I live and work in Minnesota and I have income property in Wisconsin. In 2010, both states elected a new governor and both states faced projected budget deficits. (Wisconsin $3.6 billion, Minnesota $6.2 billion). Scott Walker took one approach to Wisconsin's deficit and Mark Dayton took a different approach than Walker. Both approaches worked. Minnesota's approach has been more successful, but Wisconsin isn't doing bad either.
What this tells me is that no ideology owns all the right answers to all the issues.

Quite the opposite. I don't want to minimize the differences. I just think that we should use the same measuring stick for all, that's all.

There were some GOP policies that are indeed helping America. Both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama adopted them, or a version of them, and now the Right hates those policies, like, for instance, the health insurance mandate. That was a Republican idea from Newt Gingrich.

This article from Forbes clears that up rather nicely on how the health insurance mandate was started.
And yes many on the right never did like the mandate from the very beginning.
The Tortuous History of Conservatives and the Individual Mandate - Forbes

Jerry Brown will have had 16 years over his four terms as Governor to wreak havoc on California. Lest anyone forget, he canceled every highway project in California, including those near completion, during his first tenure. This resulted in the traffic nightmares that millions still face every day. To try to mask this idiocy, he then supported the farce of "carpool lanes" which are now being turned into de facto toll roads.

Regarding with the State's water problems, he opposed building the Auburn Dam which would have provided invaluable water storage and flood protection. Again to mask another of his destructive kowtows to his wacko " environmentalist" cohorts, he recently supported a $12 bond measure that will provide one tenth the benefit of the Auburn Dam for ten times its cost.

His so-called "balanced budget" is a charade that ignores $100 billion in unfunded health benefits for retired state employees. Need I mention his policy of making California a sanctuary state for illegal immigrants? No wonder people are leaving the State in record numbers.

Can any other Governor match this record?

Last edited:

Please explain how the health insurance mandate is "helping America."

Jerry Brown will have had 16 years over his four terms as Governor to wreak havoc on California. Lest anyone forget, he canceled every highway project in California, including those near completion, during his first tenure. This resulted in the traffic nightmares that millions still face every day. To try to mask this idiocy, he then supported the farce of "carpool lanes" which are now being turned into de facto toll roads.

Regarding with the State's water problems, he opposed building the Auburn Dam which would have provided invaluable water storage and flood protection. Again to mask another of his destructive kowtows to his wacko " environmentalist" cohorts, he recently supported a $12 bond measure that will provide one tenth the benefit of the Auburn Dam for ten times its cost.

His so-called "balanced budget" is a charade that ignores $100 billion in unfunded health benefits for retired state employees. Need I mention his policy of making California a sanctuary state for illegal immigrants? No wonder people are leaving the State in record numbers.

im about 60/40 with Brown.....

I don't see how a policy they both deny and disown counts.

Well this thread was designated for Political Hackery City.
Like life, specific approaches to a problem are different for each problem. Sometimes a specific approach works, sometimes it doesn't.
Sometimes a conservative approach works just like sometimes a liberal approach or a moderate approach works, depends on the situation.
I live and work in Minnesota and I have income property in Wisconsin. In 2010, both states elected a new governor and both states faced projected budget deficits. (Wisconsin $3.6 billion, Minnesota $6.2 billion). Scott Walker took one approach to Wisconsin's deficit and Mark Dayton took a different approach than Walker. Both approaches worked. Minnesota's approach has been more successful, but Wisconsin isn't doing bad either.
What this tells me is that no ideology owns all the right answers to all the issues.
If you give no data and no concrete and meaningful links, does your statement really mean anything?

Walk-O-Meter Tracking the promises of Scott Walker PolitiFact Wisconsin

All False statements involving Scott Walker PolitiFact Wisconsin

Walker says overwhelming number of Wisconsin school districts staffs grew or stayed the same after 2011-2013 state budget PolitiFact Wisconsin
rulings%2Ftom-false.gif

Not a single link to anything? We just take your word for it? Here, let me help you:

California population growth rate highest in years 89.3 KPCC

Demographic experts said the increase highlights the recovery in the job market, especially since net migration added 66,000 people to the state — an increase of 71 percent from the year before. Alameda County, on the outskirts of Silicon Valley and home to a fast-growing technology sector, accounted for the largest share of the migration, with more than 15,000 new arrivals from other states and countries.

This is the problem with right wingers. They just repeat talking points without bothering to see if they are true or not.

Please explain how the health insurance mandate is "helping America."
Easy. When people go to the emergency room, the tax payers pay for it. Now Republicans may believe in "let him die", but by law, the rest of the country, fortunately doesn't. We know when Republicans say "let him die", they mean people NOT them.
The cost of using the emergency room as primary care is anywhere from 10 to hundreds of times the cost of a 50 dollar visit to a doctor who will catch the problem BEFORE it becomes life threatening or cause bankruptcy. Forcing the poor to pay something keeps the government from charging super wealthy Billionaires. This is why it started as a GOP idea. We can all agree that Republicans will screw over the vast majority of Americans if they can save billionaires a few dollars. That's a given.

Hoped this helped.

NaziCon Governor Sam Brownback has caused major damage to Kansas.

Aside from increasing their debt, what damage has he done? Obama almost doubled the national debt, yet you turds consider him a raging success. Why the difference in attitude?

I agree. Gotta be Perry since he's created fully 1/3 of all the new jobs in America.

And we all know how dimocrap scum feel about work.

Now, Kalifornication, OTOH, is a liberal Mecca. Jobs? We don't need no stinking jobs. We got Gubner Moonbeam

California Crushed by Texas Job Creation - Breitbart
I agree. Gotta be Perry since he's created fully 1/3 of all the new jobs in America.

And we all know how dimocrap scum feel about work.

Now, Kalifornication, OTOH, is a liberal Mecca. Jobs? We don't need no stinking jobs. We got Gubner Moonbeam

California Crushed by Texas Job Creation - Breitbart
Is Texas Economy Really Better Than California s

Yet there’s also the question of what kind of economy you want to create. Texas’ job creation machine has performed amazingly well. But it’s been criticized for creating low-paying jobs. And Texas’ most successful job creation machine, Austin, is the most California-like city in the state, a place that embraces California creativity and weirdness so enthusiastically that the rest of the state routinely rejects it as being profoundly un-Texan.

Through it all, California has managed to maintain a big lead in certain high-growth, high-performing sectors, principally technology and entertainment.

In other words, Texas isn’t doing as well as you might think and California isn’t doing as badly as you might think.

---------------------------------------

This is the problem these ignorant right wingers refuse to see. Lots of low paying jobs with no benefits are being created in Texas and the defunding of public schools ensures that is all that will be available for the average Texan. The better paying and skill requirement jobs are going to those coming from out of state and immigrants. I'm pretty sure that's NOT what most Texans had in mind. Or is it?

Moron.

The cost of living in California is 45% higher than it is in Texas.

A house in a Metropolitan area of Kalifornication will cost you in the range $500 to $600k MINIMUM for a decent place.

In a Metropolitan are of Texas, the average is around $200k.

It doesn't stop there...... If you buy a home, not only are Property Taxes double the millage rates of Texas, but the assessed value is at least double.

And let's not forget -- Texas has no Income Tax. California's is -- What? Well, let's take a look

California Income Tax Brackets 2015

For earnings between $49,774.00 and $254,250, you'll pay 9.30% plus $2,191.48

What if you're a little more successful?

For earnings between $254,250.00 and $305,100, you'll pay 10.30% plus $21,207.75

dimocraps are the scum of the earth. Everything they touch they turn to shit. Everything.

They took THE most beautiful place on earth and are turning it into a pushole filled with illegals, crime, gangs and taxes so high that even the uber-wealthy are moving out in droves.

State leaders closely watch migrating millionaires - SFGate

Rich People Leaving California for Mysterious Reason FrontPage Magazine <snark>

Allysia Finley The Reverse-Joads of California - WSJ

Look at Dee-Troit, Boston, New Yawk shitty (although Rudy brough it back for a little while), Chicago...... Every place dimocraps go, they turn it into a pile of shit.

Know why that is?

Because dimocraps themselves are a pile of shit.

Period.

Yep...I've got a 5k square foot custom home on a golf course in Texas.
Couldnt touch it in cali or the northeast for under 4 million.
I got it for just under 400k.
Stupid f'n yankees.....

It's a difficult choice. Crispie has been pretty bad. Downgraded 8 times. Billions in debt. So has Walker.
But I think maybe Perry. Cutting 5 billion in education. I know Republicans don't see that as important, but the business community certainly does.

Anyone else?

You libs its one lie filled thread after another. Why are you lying about Chris Christie?

Dogs bark, ducks quack, babies cry; dimocraps lie.

It's what they do. From the Lying Cocksucker in Chief on down -- dimocrap filth lie.

Every last one of them. It's an autonomic function with them. Like breathing. It's their first instinct. Like a felon hiding from the Cops, whenever they see someone they're not familiar with, their first instinct is to run.

That's the way it is with dimocraps. Their first instinct is to lie.

Can they tell the truth? Yes, but it a takes a conscious effort.

The difference between a dimocrap and a normal human is -- We KNOW when we're lying.

dimocrap scum honestly don't. They really don't.

And no, I am honestly not being sardonic. dimocraps lie like you and I breath air.

It's the #1 reason I hate them. Not their politics. Not their zany idea. Not that they're the opposition.

I hate dimocraps because they're lying scum. Every.Last.One.Of.Them.
ONE Dem lie, hater dupe? You'll find it's actually your greedy idiot billionaire leaders and propagandists lying and cheating you as always..

Not a single link to anything? We just take your word for it? Here, let me help you:

California population growth rate highest in years 89.3 KPCC

Demographic experts said the increase highlights the recovery in the job market, especially since net migration added 66,000 people to the state — an increase of 71 percent from the year before. Alameda County, on the outskirts of Silicon Valley and home to a fast-growing technology sector, accounted for the largest share of the migration, with more than 15,000 new arrivals from other states and countries.

This is the problem with right wingers. They just repeat talking points without bothering to see if they are true or not.
you do realize that much of that growth was from illegals ....

Anyone else?

Yep, Perry has been really bad, our current UE is a whopping 4.6% and for your information year over year on education has continued to grow, they just slowed the rate of growth, that is not a cut, regardless of what you propagandist say.

Forum List

Back