Which country has a model capitalistic healthcare system?

The whole mess just sucks and ever since doctors became worth seeing we have had socialized healthcare. This Obamacare thing just tries to force everyone to have insurance and then regulates the insurance industry to level the field since the insurance companies do have people who are forced to buy their product.

Watered down, yup. Bad ideas in it? I am sure, but that is what the goal is.

So pretty much I gather no country has a free market healthcare system? I do not remember any examples. Not Ecuador or Ethopia or Russia or the Ukraine? No one?

Which country has a model capitalistic healthcare system?

The United State of America, 1776 to 1965.

You liked the healthcare of 1776?

Seriously?

America's free market healthcare system became the best in the world. OF COURSE technology has progressed since 1776, but compared to the rest of the world, our profit-based system resulted in the best care available as well as the greatest technological and procedural advances.

But I'm sure federal bureaucrats will know better...:eusa_shifty:

The United State of America, 1776 to 1965.

Seriously?

America's free market healthcare system became the best in the world. OF COURSE technology has progressed since 1776, but compared to the rest of the world, our profit-based system resulted in the best care available as well as the greatest technological and procedural advances.

Interesting. So by what year do you think we had the best healthcare system in the world? 1850, 1900, 1950, 1975?

1950 might be a bad year to use, rest of the world being a bombed out shell and all....

Seriously?

Interesting. So by what year do you think we had the best healthcare system in the world? 1850, 1900, 1950, 1975?

1950 might be a bad year to use, rest of the world being a bombed out shell and all....

No one specific year, but throughout our history, our free market based healthcare system became the best in the world. Of course, technological advancements improved care over the years, but if you compare America to other countries, our relatively free market healthcare system quickly established the benchmark for excellence. Even when the Progressives began to meddle in health, they did so to a lesser degree than other westernized societies, who tended to go full-on public health care. As a result, America produced the "Cadillac" of healthcare (one reason why Kings come to America for care), while all those other societies benefited from out technical advances.

In other words, in any of those years you mentioned, if you desired the absolute best in healthcare, which country would you have chosen to receive that care?

You basically have to be indigent to qualify for Medicaid. If you're part of the lower class or even the middle class, and you aren't covered with basic insurance, you're basically screwed. Charity is great but their resources are finite. For example, I don't know of any charities that would foot the entire bill for chemotherapy and/or an entire round of cancer treatment.
Well, you asked about the poor and the indigent and I told you...That you don't know of charities doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Nobody (read: NOBODY) has the right to have a third party pay their bills.

I personally know one person that was ruined because of medical bills (Chapter 7). This person tried to get charity care from the hospital but didn't qualify. The best they could do was lower the bill by around two thousand dollars. By the way, this was a twenty five thousand dollar medical bill when all was said and done. Also, this person wasn't broke, his employer sandbagged his insurance and he wasn't covered for like two years.

Technically, if you have insurance through your employer or you pay for your own plan, wouldn't the insurance company paying out the claim be a third party? Just sayin'....
So what?...I personally know someone with no insurance who contracted pancreatic cancer, had several surgeries and still didn't end up bankrupt.

And if $25,000 bill is going to drive someone to bankruptcy, they have a lot of other big expenses to handle other than medical bills.

We should model ourselves after the Canadian system, where health care costs per individual are half of what ours are while health care outcomes are practically identical.

That means they get more bang for their buck, which means that's something we should be interested in ourselves.

The private sector delivers on all things equipment-related while the payment system is single payer along with some semi-private and private options amounting to about a third of their health care payment system.

The gov't keeps costs low because a) there are no insurance companies who serve as pimps between Canadians and their health care services, and b) because it can negotiate better rates on things like pharmaceutical drugs, which is why millions of us have our pills and other treatments shipped in from Canada from anywhere between 25% and 50% cheaper than it would be to purchase those things here.

When I keep reading about Papa John's Pizza and their owner who is against Obamacare, it seems more and more clear that what he is actually arguing for is the single payer plan the Canadians have, which then frees up every business in the country from even having to deal with the health care of their employees except for offering whatever they want to offer on dental or whatever.

The idea that our gov't could keep costs down on pharmaceuticals and other treatments so that revenue stays in America is tantalizing. The idea that health care is between patients and their doctors is refreshing, and the idea that the insurance companies are totally made irrelevant to us would be welcome news.

When Canadians get sick, they seek treatment and get the care they need. When Americans get sick, they have to call their insurer and haggle and haggle and haggle. Enough of that already. It's time for a public option to pass.

It makes fiscal as much as it makes health care sense to do.

Well, you asked about the poor and the indigent and I told you...That you don't know of charities doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Nobody (read: NOBODY) has the right to have a third party pay their bills.

I personally know one person that was ruined because of medical bills (Chapter 7). This person tried to get charity care from the hospital but didn't qualify. The best they could do was lower the bill by around two thousand dollars. By the way, this was a twenty five thousand dollar medical bill when all was said and done. Also, this person wasn't broke, his employer sandbagged his insurance and he wasn't covered for like two years.

Technically, if you have insurance through your employer or you pay for your own plan, wouldn't the insurance company paying out the claim be a third party? Just sayin'....
So what?...I personally know someone with no insurance who contracted pancreatic cancer, had several surgeries and still didn't end up bankrupt.

And if $25,000 bill is going to drive someone to bankruptcy, they have a lot of other big expenses to handle other than medical bills.

So what? His credit was torpedoed for seven years, that's what. Again, in any other industrialized country, this simply would not happen.

Yeah, 25k is a large nut, especially when you have student loans from graduate school, a mortgage, and a seven year old.

Forum List

Back