Which Child is 'More' American?

Which Child is 'More' American?

• Total voters
Where is Loredo?

On the Rio Grande, somewhere between Brownsville and El Paso

I've been to Laredo.

Walked six blocks from my parents' house down to the Rio Grande.

Watched someone swim across the river where they were met by someone who was hiding in the reeds waiting for them with a bundle of dry clothes.

But I've never heard of Loredo.

The one with the valid American Birth Certificate. How stupid do you have to be not to know that..

So, the person who was maybe raised in Russia, or Germany, or Argentina, or maybe even China, speaks no English and never has, is the American, right?

But the person who goes to school here for twelve years, plays football in HS, roots for the Boston Red Sox each sprins, is rebuilding a '57 Chevy in his HS shop class, waves the American flag every 4th of July is the foreigner who should be deported?

What proof do you have that they are not taught English?
Or even American History?

if they have never attended school in the US it is likely that they never learned American history and many times they never learn English. I know of one such individual. He was born in the US and taken back to Mexico when he was just an infant. He was raised in Mexico and went to school in Mexico and does not speak a word of English, yet he is a US citizen by birth and can stay in the US of course and he does..and he doesn't know English.
What Mustang is talking about is not legal terms of if they are a legal citizen or not, but mentally if the person raised here is more American or the child who never grew up in the US and that is a given the child raised in the US immersed in the US culture and things around them is more American culturally than a child not raised in the US.

Case in point, my son is being raised in Honduras, he was born in South Carolina. He does speak English, but only because I do.

Well there is this guy in the White House that was born in the US but raised in another country. Is he more American than the child born in Mexico but raised in Texas??

I find this thread interesting, to say the least. :)

Here's the scenario.

On a particular day, two children are born at the exact same time. One is born Loredo, TX and has an American birth certificate.

The other child is born in Nuevo Loredo, Mexico, and has a Mexican birth certificate (translation: the child does NOT have an American BC).

The child born in America moves overseas to another country with his parents who may, or many not, be American. The other country is irrelevant to the story. The child never travels back to America prior to turning 18, although he's legally entitled to do so.

The Mexican-born child crosses the American border with his parents the next day and is raised in America AS an American without any knowledge that he was born in Mexico.

So, the question is WHICH young person at the age of 18 is really more American? Is it the one with the American BC who was raised in a foreign country. Or is it the foreign born child who was raised as American in America?

None of the above.

Here's the scenario.

On a particular day, two children are born at the exact same time. One is born Loredo, TX and has an American birth certificate.

The other child is born in Nuevo Loredo, Mexico, and has a Mexican birth certificate (translation: the child does NOT have an American BC).

The child born in America moves overseas to another country with his parents who may, or many not, be American. The other country is irrelevant to the story. The child never travels back to America prior to turning 18, although he's legally entitled to do so.

The Mexican-born child crosses the American border with his parents the next day and is raised in America AS an American without any knowledge that he was born in Mexico.

So, the question is WHICH young person at the age of 18 is really more American? Is it the one with the American BC who was raised in a foreign country. Or is it the foreign born child who was raised as American in America?

The Baby Born here is a Legal Citizen. The Baby born in Mexico is a Legal Mexican Citizen. There is a required Process for the Mexican Citizen to Naturalize here. Feelings are about feelings, the Law is about the Law. Personally, I would like to see Anyone that want's to be a Legal Citizen here, that qualifies, to take the plunge.

Well there is this guy in the White House that was born in the US but raised in another country. Is he more American than the child born in Mexico but raised in Texas??

I find this thread interesting, to say the least. :)

Yep, that may indeed be the case. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYHZB9jK3Ls]Freburg's Take an Indian to Lunch, 4th of July - YouTube[/ame]

don't pay attention to video portion

Here's the scenario.

When they're waving Mexican flags and celebrating Mexican holidays it doesn't matter.

An American celebrates American holidays and discards their nationality.... The majority of Mexicans refuse to do that.....

I'm Sicilian, yet I will never-ever fly a Sicilian flag over the US flag - ever.

Yet Mexicans continually disrespect the US by ripping our flags down and raising the Mexican flag.....

If it matters - a person can be born and raised in another country and can immigrate to the United States after 40 years and be more of a patriot than a person born here...

So, the person who was maybe raised in Russia, or Germany, or Argentina, or maybe even China, speaks no English and never has, is the American, right?

But the person who goes to school here for twelve years, plays football in HS, roots for the Boston Red Sox each sprins, is rebuilding a '57 Chevy in his HS shop class, waves the American flag every 4th of July is the foreigner who should be deported?

if they have never attended school in the US it is likely that they never learned American history and many times they never learn English. I know of one such individual. He was born in the US and taken back to Mexico when he was just an infant. He was raised in Mexico and went to school in Mexico and does not speak a word of English, yet he is a US citizen by birth and can stay in the US of course and he does..and he doesn't know English.
What Mustang is talking about is not legal terms of if they are a legal citizen or not, but mentally if the person raised here is more American or the child who never grew up in the US and that is a given the child raised in the US immersed in the US culture and things around them is more American culturally than a child not raised in the US.

Case in point, my son is being raised in Honduras, he was born in South Carolina. He does speak English, but only because I do.

Not sure had he stayed in South Carolina that he'd be speaking English as well today.. :lol:

Not sure had he stayed in South Carolina that he'd be speaking English as well today.. :lol:
:lol:

Here's the scenario.

though the law says otherwise the child that is raised in America as an American is an American !! notice I said RAISED AS AN AMERICAN !! Many foreign born immigrants are taught to hate America just like many people that are born and raised here ...to me these people are not Americans !!

Forum List

Back