Which Branch To Choose?

My fifteen-year-old son is starting to give serious thought to which branch of the military he wishes to join when he graduates high school. I've given him what basic information I can on what each branch does, and directed him to the websites for each. My menfolk are more than willing to talk to him about it, but they're all a bit biased. My husband favors the Air Force, since his father was retired from that branch. Our roommate is a big fan of the Coast Guard (yes, for those who want to argue, the Coast Guard IS a branch of the military) since he was in the Coast Guard. And my best friend is an enthusiastic fan of the Marines, since he was a Marine.

I've told him he should consider what kind of things he would be interested in learning to do while in the military, and what he wants to do with himself afterward, since so many of the skills learned in the military translate into civilian job fields. And, of course, when he's a little farther into his research on the subject and has a better idea what questions he wants to ask, I will be taking him to the recruiters of his choice to get information.

Knowing that many on USMB have been in the military and/or know a lot about it, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any insight, tips, or suggestions they'd like to offer my son and me as we ponder his future military service.

To not limit himself, first step is to get that Bachelors degree. Then take a good look at the branches of service. Without the Degree, too many doors are slammed shut.

I've been a lurker here for some time and thought I'd throw my hat in on this one.

First and foremost, I have almost eight years of service at present. I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 2000 as a Infantryman (0352), did four years and six months on active duty, then decided to ETS in mid 2004. I was out for almost four years before entering the Army as a Intelligence Analyst. I chose the Army simply because the Corps makes you jump through hoops just to come back in. They don't like it when you leave, and essentially punish you when you attempt to come back in. I did less than two years as an intel cat before going back to a combat arms MOS, namely a Combat Engineer. I simply hated the intel field.

Regardless of how much I love my current job, what I do, and how we do it. I will always have a singular love for the Corps. It made me the man I am today, and it's something I just don't see very often in today's Soldiers.

My suggestion would be to gauge exactly what he wants to do. Whether it's combat arms, intel, commo, avionics, maintenance (fixed, rotary-wing, or vehicle), METT, SF, and a myriad of other positions the four branches offer. BTW, the CG is not a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. They fall under DoHS.

If he has any questions I'd be more than willing to answer I can.

Whie the Coast Guard does normally fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security, due to the marked differences between its mission and purpose and those of the other branches, it IS, nevertheless, a branch of the US military, and can be transferred to the control of the Department of Defense as needed in wartime.

"The U.S. Coast Guard is one of the five armed forces of the United States and the only military organization within the Department of Homeland Security."
USCG: About Us - Overview

Please note, for example, that their website is allowed to have the ".mil" designation, which is only allowed to the military. Also, the US has five federal military service academies. The Coast Guard Academy, in New London, CT, is one of them.
So which did he choose ?

This is a 7 year old thread so some outcome must have taken place already Cecilie1200

I've been a lurker here for some time and thought I'd throw my hat in on this one.

First and foremost, I have almost eight years of service at present. I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 2000 as a Infantryman (0352), did four years and six months on active duty, then decided to ETS in mid 2004. I was out for almost four years before entering the Army as a Intelligence Analyst. I chose the Army simply because the Corps makes you jump through hoops just to come back in. They don't like it when you leave, and essentially punish you when you attempt to come back in. I did less than two years as an intel cat before going back to a combat arms MOS, namely a Combat Engineer. I simply hated the intel field.

Regardless of how much I love my current job, what I do, and how we do it. I will always have a singular love for the Corps. It made me the man I am today, and it's something I just don't see very often in today's Soldiers.

My suggestion would be to gauge exactly what he wants to do. Whether it's combat arms, intel, commo, avionics, maintenance (fixed, rotary-wing, or vehicle), METT, SF, and a myriad of other positions the four branches offer. BTW, the CG is not a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. They fall under DoHS.

Whie the Coast Guard does normally fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security, due to the marked differences between its mission and purpose and those of the other branches, it IS, nevertheless, a branch of the US military, and can be transferred to the control of the Department of Defense as needed in wartime.

"The U.S. Coast Guard is one of the five armed forces of the United States and the only military organization within the Department of Homeland Security."

Please note, for example, that their website is allowed to have the ".mil" designation, which is only allowed to the military. Also, the US has five federal military service academies. The Coast Guard Academy, in New London, CT, is one of them.
So which did he choose ?

This is a 7 year old thread so some outcome must have taken place already Cecilie1200

Life took some unexpected turns that made him unable to join the military. He is currently working, helping me take care of his homeschooled little brother, and investigating the educational opportunities which have recently become available to him because we moved to Phoenix.

The USMC is a calling.
The Corps was indeed a calling for me back in 1956, mainly because the reverence it earned in WW-II was still fresh in the public mind. Even my father, whose Army unit was among those that relieved the Marines on Guadalcanal, always praised the Marines and told us hair-raising stories about them. But today I would advise anyone to join the Air Force instead of the Marines -- for a lot of reasons. Based on what I've heard the Marine Corps is nothing like it used to be.

So which did he choose ?

Life took some unexpected turns that made him unable to join the military. He is currently working, helping me take care of his homeschooled little brother, and investigating the educational opportunities which have recently become available to him because we moved to Phoenix.
Good to hear.

Police work and armed security are a lot like the military, so your son may look into one of those now as well.

General orders for sentries of the USMC:

- take charge of this post and all govt property in view

- walk my post in a military manner keeping always on the alert and observing everything within sight or hearing

- talk to no one except in the line of duty

- report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce

- give the alarm in case of fire or disorder

- be especially watchful at night and during the time for challenging to challenge everyone on or near my post and allow none to pass without proper authorization

- call the corporal of the guard in matters not covered by orders

- repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own

- receive and pass on to the sentry that relieves me all orders from the C/O, O/D, officers and NCO's of the guard only

- salute all officers and colors

- quit my post only when properly relieved.

The USMC is a calling.
The Corps was indeed a calling for me back in 1956, mainly because the reverence it earned in WW-II was still fresh in the public mind. Even my father, whose Army unit was among those that relieved the Marines on Guadalcanal, always praised the Marines and told us hair-raising stories about them. But today I would advise anyone to join the Air Force instead of the Marines -- for a lot of reasons. Based on what I've heard the Marine Corps is nothing like it used to be.
If you enjoy pain and suffering then the USMC is for you.

If you are smarter then the Army is a better choice.

If you are really smart then the USAF is the way to go.

If you want a fun job at sea then the Navy.

If you want a safe job at sea then the USCG.

If you want to stay close to home then the Guard.

It all depends on how much shit you want to or are capable of eating. Ranked from most to least:

1. Marines.

2. Army

3. Navy

4. Air Force

5. Coast Guard

So which did he choose ?

Good to hear.

Police work and armed security are a lot like the military, so your son may look into one of those now as well.

Now that he's 22, he's ALL about computer programming and videogame designing. *eye roll* As long as he's happy and productive and on the right side of the law, I don't care what he does. His little brother wants to be a zookeeper.

The Marines only if he is very physically fit.

Interesting that you say that. My best friend joined the Marines to GET physically fit. It worked, as far as losing weight and getting stronger, but then he contracted MRSA, so not so much.

Forum List

Back